Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, sounds like Rake got what he wanted! At least for that stat.

(inb4 nerf)

Athelas

Arcane
Doesn't work against Medreth, you get pummeled.
Nope, my character stood there for a while taking all the hits (or should I say, misses and grazes) from Medreth's group and it barely made a dent.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Show me your build, because I just tried it - Hearth Orlan, 20 Perception and Resolve, Cautious Attack, Fine Large Shield and I got sacked in about 4 seconds by Medreth's group and I got killed by 3 Lions in 4 hits. My Deflection was also over 100.

Athelas

Arcane
Show me your build, because I just tried it - Hearth Orlan, 20 Perception and Resolve, Cautious Attack, Fine Large Shield and I got sacked in about 4 seconds by Medreth's group and I got killed by 3 Lions in 4 hits. My Deflection was also over 100.
Are you wearing armor?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Plate has better protection against piercing damage, which Lions deal.

Anyway I'll show you what happened to me in a sec when this video uploads.

Athelas

Arcane
I equipped the Fine Brigandine from Medreth's party before facing the lions. Though with the Fine Brigandine's better general DR, the Plate offers only 1 more point of protection against pierce.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, that's certainly odd. I just tried again and did worse than before, but still fine against those same 3 lions (my character's health was already slightly weakened coming from Medreth's encounter):

free photo hosting

Athelas

Arcane
Paladins also have higher defenses than Fighters :P
They do? I am using a Fine Stiletto and Fine Medium Shield, by the way. Maybe the interrupt bug is skewing the results. On the other hand, you have Zealous Focus.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is one of you using a mod?

Or maybe there was some bug in updating the versions? Try verifying integrity.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm playing with engagement disabled, but I don't think it makes a difference since I stood stock still and just auto-attacked.

Sensuki

Arcane
My shield give more Deflection, but has a higher accuracy penalty. But yeah I was using a Mace, and not a Stiletto.

Mine was using default dll (since i'm testing) but it shouldn't matter since I didn't move anyway.

It's probably just RNG.

Sensuki

Arcane
Tried with a level 5 Fighter with Vigorous Defense, Stiletto and Fine Medium Shield. A couple of misses at the start, then hit, hit, hit, hit - dead.

Athelas

Arcane
Sensuki, what kind of orlan did you make? Wild Orlans get a a temporary +10 to all their defenses when their will is targeted, and I think the lion's roar is a will attack.

I also forgot to say I took the weapon and shield style talent.

It's difficult to say how high Deflection will play out when Interrupt/Recovery are sorted out (I just took on a Dyrford guard with a single character and at one point got in 7 attacks before he could attack back, which surely can't be how combat is supposed to play out).

Hey, sounds like Rake got what he wanted! At least for that stat.

(inb4 nerf)
Well, not quite. Deflection is not an attribute, it's a derived stat. You pretty much have to go for optimal Deflection with everything (chargen, gear selection, talent and ability choice on level-up) to achieve what I'm after.

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
I equipped the Fine Brigandine from Medreth's party before facing the lions. Though with the Fine Brigandine's better general DR, the Plate offers only 1 more point of protection against pierce.

Are you sure, you are talking about the Plate here? (or Breastplate perhaps?) What I know, it's like this in case of Pierce DR:
Brigandine 10.0 (10)
Breastplate 10.4 (10)
Fine Brigandine 12.0 (12)
Fine Breastplate 12.4 (12)
Plate 15.0 (15)
Fine Plate 17.0 (17)

Or does the windows version have different numbers?

Athelas

Arcane
Stealth took a big hit this build. Enemies detect you much quicker and it takes much more effort to get past even a single one.

On the other hand, you now need stealth to loot containers in villages without losing reputation. :M

Are you sure, you are talking about the Plate here? (or Breastplate perhaps?) What I know, it's like this in case of Pierce DR:
Brigandine 10.0 (10)
Breastplate 10.4 (10)
Fine Brigandine 12.0 (12)
Fine Breastplate 12.4 (12)
Plate 15.0 (15)
Fine Plate 17.0 (17)

Or does the windows version have different numbers?
Fine Breastplate has 13 DR against Pierce. I'm not sure where you're getting these numbers from.

Last edited:

ushas

Savant
Fine Breastplate has 13 DR against Pierce.
Even the combat log uses 13.0?
Hm. Looks like there is something wrong with the linux version. I have 13DR in the item description, but 12DR on character panel and 12.4 in the combat log...

aeonsim

Augur
If any one wants to have a look at some game play on Path of the Damned (Heart of Fury equivalent) here are a couple of videos, one has a melee party the other a spell caster party.

Melee party: Paladin (PC), BB Fighter, Barbarian, Chanter, Monk & Ranger. They tear through most enemies with easy with only an Ogre and his pack of 5 bears not being able to be defeated so far. 1080p, with links in the description to jump to each of the individual encounters.

Spell caster party: Wizard (PC), BB Fighter, BB Priest, BB Rogue, Cipher, Druid (4 casters). They have a harder time with most enemy groups but the Ogre and the Bears don't really cause them any problems. 720p this time, and again with links in the description to jump to the individual encounters. With the large number of spell casters there is a lot more pausing than the previous video.

The melee party was far easier to play than the spell casters and it had me checking the difficulty after the first Beetle fight as I thought I must have been set back to Normal. Interestingly I don't have a healer (Priest or Druid) just the chanter who gives a small amount of regen but they have no problems even on PoD, while with the spell casters healing was essential. The Interesting difference is that in the optional (you can complete the quest by diplomacy rather than combat) fight with the Ogre and his bear pack the casters don't really find it any harder than any other fight while the melee party gets absolutely stomped.

ushas

Savant
:) How high is your deflection?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom