Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Lol!

From the guy doing the weapon damage excel spreadsheet:

Unfortunately, there is almost no difference between 1H no shield and 1H with shield dps. At least in a lot of cases. The recovery time penalty and the accuracy boost almost exactly cancel each other out. So if they want 1H no shield to do more damage (in exchange for not having a shield to defend), they need to increase the accuracy bonus.

Josh has made it so there's virtually 0 difference in style

:balance:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
from single weapon style?

They're increasing the accuracy that you get from DEX I think. This is just related to 1H Single and 1H Shield

Dark Elf

Erudite
Not that it will ever happen in this game, but I've always wondered about the need for high numbers? Heck, cap human ability at 5 in any given stat and make 3 the average. Then you get like 2-3 points to assign, meaning you can't max more than one stat without gimping yourself in some area, and make every attribute useful. If Sawyer wants to realise his goal of no bad builds he'd need stats with MORE impact, not less, and look seriously into the interplay between stats, skills and talents to create interesting combos (to make a D&D analogy, Int 13 allowed Fighters to take Combat Expertise and unlock that feat tree which also carries Dex requirements and whatnot, it's the sort of thinking that should be expanded upon if you really want, say, a weak but charismatic fighter to work). A fighter of average Strength but high Dexterity could develop talents where he'd be accurate enough with piercing weapons to have a high probability of finding chinks in the armour and pretty much bypass plate mail. Oh, high Strength AND Dexterity would be even better at that, of course, but not without sacrificing a lot in other areas (intelligence, charisma) that could be useful if the game actually demanded said fighter to make use of such abilities. The problem, at its root, is that combat is 95% of most CRPG's and that there is no real use for skills like bartering and lore. Hell, often they're not even flavour choices because there is nothing there to taste to begin with.

coffeetable

Savant
sensuki have you ever considered using your mental illness for something productive

ie something not to do with videogames

i mean its spectacular how much effort you've put into this, but, well, it's a videogame

Sensuki

Arcane
I've always wondered about the need for high numbers?
It's the same reason why hit points are so bloated: because it's easier to BALANCE it using math, without having to resort to fractions. I kid you not.

It's because of the DT system.

DT is single numbers from 1+ (so far highest I've seen is 17, but it probably goes higher)

If you've got armor reducing 17 damage, then you need to have damage values higher than that, and you also need HP numbers inflated to compensate.

I prefer the familiar numbers too (<100)

Sensuki

Arcane
BTW guys one of the categories Obsidian asked for feeback on was the racial models:

Races - Do the races and their subtypes feel distinct? Do their models and textures appeal to you? Do their bonuses and special abilities seem worthwhile?

I've gone over the models and pointed out any issues, such as:

ORLAN_BAD.jpg

and PM'd them to Dimitri (Anthony Davis, he hasn't checked his inbox yet so could you tell him if possible)

I haven't really seen many comments other than Elves look sad and characters have really white eyes.

One of the things I pointed out was the rings on the sleeves of this armor look silly:

ENORMOUS_RINGS.png

Especially considering that there's padded armor underneath, so many it's a mis-applied texture.

I also found that many of the characters arms were clipping through the armor at the back and there as a mis-applied texture on the chain

AUAMAUAU.png

If you guys have any critiques on any of the character or armor models, feel free to post them here and I'll send them across in my next PM, after I go over the female models again

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"NWN1 did, though, at it was the worst of all."

FUCK OFF. NWN HAD THE BEST EVER.

"POR:RoMD had a decent right-click menu. I think right-click menus can be good. Just don't make them radial."

ROMD sucked in every single way. the one solace we have is that PE will never be THAT bad.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
sensuki have you ever considered using your mental illness for something productive

i mean its spectacular how much effort you've put into this, but, well, it's a videogame

those poor mentally ill obsidian people, putting so much effort into a videogame

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Hey, as long as he does a much better job than people who are fucking paid to do it but are unfortunately completely out of touch in regards to many things that made IE games so good. Hopefully some of Sensuki's suggestions will get through to Josh (despite his enormous ego) and we'll end up with a better game for it.

I expected better job from Obsidian to be honest (even for an early Beta), I can understand InXile fumbling about but Obsidian's supposed to be next Black Isle when not weighted down/limited by publishers.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Obsidian's supposed to be next Black Isle when not weighted down/limited by publishers.
Warren Spector on Ion Storm said:
You know, it sounds like such a good idea to let the inmates run the insane asylums, and it really isn’t.[...]We all felt like we were talented, creative guys with big ideas, and if the big bad publishers would just get out of the way we can do amazing things. It just doesn’t work out that way. Real creativity happens within constraints, not without constraints.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I expected better job from Obsidian to be honest (even for an early Beta), I can understand InXile fumbling about but Obsidian's supposed to be next Black Isle when not weighted down/limited by publishers.

I don't see much of a difference. Were Black Isle games flawless in these aspects?

I mean for example a lot of things people here seem to *miss* are things Bioware is largly responsible for rather than Black Isle.

Rake

Arcane

I don't see much of a difference. Were Black Isle games flawless in these aspects?

I mean for example a lot of things people here seem to *miss* are things Bioware is largly responsible for rather than Black Isle.
:shunthenonbeliever:...
:hmmm:...
You are right :argh:
:rage:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Fun fact about the glorious old BioWare I dug out for ma book:

Ray Muzyka said:
[...] one interesting anecdote from Baldur's Gate is that no one who worked on that game (peak team size was something like 60 people) had ever before made a video game of any kind before!
Source

And still it worked out better than showering veterans with free money... :roll:

Rake

Arcane
Fun fact about the glorious old BioWare I dug out for ma book:

Ray Muzyka said:
[...] one interesting anecdote from Baldur's Gate is that no one who worked on that game (peak team size was something like 60 people) had ever before made a video game of any kind before!
Source

And still it worked out better than showering veterans with free money... :roll:
Maybe because a complete amateur will make the game HE likes and believes is good, instead of this veteran "i have watched thousands of people play and forget to buy equipment" thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obsidian wishes they had 60 people and over 3 years of development time backed by a loving publisher like Interplay.

That said, I agree that in terms of execution on a vision (a vision that many on the Codex consider horribly limited), late 90s Bioware was probably the best RPG developer that ever existed.

Shame they Peter Principled it all away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom