Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Athelas

Arcane
There really is no purpose whatsoever to having per-character inventories in the current system. There is no encumbrance and you can't access the inventory during combat. I guess having per-character inventories was one of those 'IE feels' things.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kith?

kith.jpg

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
There really is no purpose whatsoever to having per-character inventories in the current system. There is no encumbrance and you can't access the inventory during combat. I guess having per-character inventories was one of those 'IE feels' things.
Well, it makes some kind of small sense when you include weight into the equation indeed. Apparently they didn't get that part :)

I agree on the principle that combat XP gear people into killing everything. I even killed some Orcs in D:OS that I had talked my way past because I wanted that early XP (later in the game I would not have bothered though). As a GM I had many a player (the younger the more likely) that wanted combat solution just because they knew it was the best way to earn XP.
That's a source of constant amazement to me. Bit like achievements and whatnot.
Do you really feel compelled by the game to do it and feel bad/frustrated if not doing it? I don't understand the thought process, it's really fascinating to me :)

imweasel

Geeesh...I swear every time Mr. Sawyers writes something or talks, the only thing I see is an awful GM nobody wants to play with because he sucks balls, so he ends up being a game designer to make sure he got his way.
Quote of the day.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I'd have to wonder what Sawyer would be like as a D&D GM. I've noticed on the Obsidian forums someone mentioned he plays a defender in 4th ed. So it would be 4th edition as there's no overpowered stuff, spells. The combat is 'balanced' and of course, if you made a cheesy optimised build there'd be a house rule against such a build.

And I could see if you levelled up, picked powers or feats, you would have to email your character sheet so he could see what you're 'planning' for your character. I have no problem emailing a GM my character sheet, but I could imagine Sawyer going over it and see what your 'plans' are and if it lead to an optimised build, there'd be a reason why you couldn't use said powers or feats. He'd nip that optimised build in the bud quick smart. The fun would be sucked out of the game for balance. ugh.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd have to wonder what Sawyer would be like as a D&D GM. I've noticed on the Obsidian forums someone mentioned he plays a defender in 4th ed. So it would be 4th edition as there's no overpowered stuff, spells. The combat is 'balanced' and of course, if you made a cheesy optimised build there'd be a house rule against such a build.

And I could see if you levelled up, picked powers or feats, you would have to email your character sheet so he could see what you're 'planning' for your character. I have no problem emailing a GM my character sheet, but I could imagine Sawyer going over it and see what your 'plans' are and if it lead to an optimised build, there'd be a reason why you couldn't use said powers or feats. He'd nip that optimised build in the bud quick smart. The fun would be sucked out of the game for balance. ugh.

Why don't you ask one of the Obsidian developers who posts here how he is? :roll:

Anthony Davis, go ahead.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Why don't you ask one of the Obsidian developers who posts here how he is? :roll:

Anthony Davis, go ahead.

I actually hear he is pretty good.. I wanted to really watch that gaming session with Josh and Chris doing a DnD session with the backers it looked really fun but the audio quality sounded like it was recorded in a large room with an echo using a potato.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I've noticed on the Torment website, the stretch goal is over 60% with less than a hundred thousand dollars to get. I have to wonder if Obsidian did something similar with their area/companion stretch goal they were planning to do, they would be in a better position. This may have contributed with more money coming in, and delaying the game to get all the things they're having problems with ironed out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I've noticed on the Torment website, the stretch goal is over 60% with less than a hundred thousand dollars to get. I have to wonder if Obsidian did something similar with their area/companion stretch goal they were planning to do, they would be in a better position. This may have contributed with more money coming in, and delaying the game to get all the things they're having problems with ironed out.

Stretch goals are chump change. They can put the game on Steam Early Access in a month or two and make way more money, if that's what's they need.

That said, I'm not aware of Obsidian having any problems (other than a certain amount of pissed off backers)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Anthony Davis, go ahead.

He is currently running an Ars Magicka game in house and everyone playing it is having a blast.

He is in my Pathfinder game, though that has kind of stalled at the moment due to work loads. His character is pretty funny:

Name: Li'l Mama Boulie Race: Human Class: Alchemist Level: 3
Alignment: Chaotic Good Age: 42 Hair: Red Eyes: Brown

STR 11
DEX 16 +3
CON 12 +1
INT 19 +4
WIS 10
CHA 10

AC: 16 (Leaf Armor, 16 Dex)

Fort: +3 (+4)
Ref: +3 (+6)
Will: +1 (+1)

Class Features: Alchemy, Bomb 2d6, Brew Potion, Mutagen, Throw Anything, Poison Resistance +2, Poison Use, Swift Alchemy, Precise Bombs
Formulae: 1st (8) - Longshot, Negate Aroma, Expeditious Retreat, Comprehend Languages, Ant Haul, Disguise Self, Vocal Alteration, Shield
Traits: Bandit (Stealth), Expert Smuggler
Feats: Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Extra Discovery (Infusion)

Skill Total: 24

Skills: Ranks: CSB: ABB: EB: Total:
Craft (Alchemy) 6 +3 +4 -- +13
Knowledge (Nature) 1 +3 +4 -- +8
Profession (Cook) 6 +3 -- -- +9
Sleight of Hand 6 +3 +3 +4* +12/+16
Stealth 3 +3 +3 +1 +10
Survival 2 +3 -- -- +5

Gear: Leaf Armor, Dagger, Rolling Pin (Club), Cleaver (Hand Axe)

Personality Traits: Sassy, Flirtatious, Independent, Rebellious, Superstitious, Maternal

Background: Roana Boulie is the fourth daughter of "Big Mama" Dally Boulie. She was born in the Hooktongue Slough and lived at various times in that great swamp and in the various hollows of the nearby Narlmarches. Though Big Mama Boulie had ten kids, only four reached adulthood. The rest were lost to bandits, trolls, or just disappeared into the swamp. Big Mama was a cook and a mixer of potent poisons and shared her knowledge with her children. When Roana was 14, she and her siblings woke up one morning to find Big Mama Boulie gone. They heard rumors later on that Big Mama had married a rich man and moved out of the River Kingdoms entirely, but they don't know if that's true.

When Roana was 16, she married Gullo Sixtoes, ten years her senior. They had two children, Nilly and Rowgun, before Gullo got drunk and fell into quicksand one evening. Three years later, Roana encountered Net Dellows aka Barrel-Head Net, a smuggler on the swamp. Constantly on the run, Net managed to provide for Roana for a while so she decided to marry him. They had three kids together: Bissa, Darl, and Tac. Over time, Net spent less time and home and more on the run, sleeping around, or curled up deep in a bottle.

After a few years of Net's absence, she received word that Big Mama Boulie was in trouble somewhere down in Riverton and needed money. Roana, who by now was known by locals as "Li'l Mama" Boulie, joined up with smugglers and bandits to try to save her mother. Long story short, it was a ruse set by Net to bail him out of trouble. Li'l Mama was furious at Net, but didn't take any action against him. Due to her actions, she was wanted by the locals, so she headed out and joined up with The Biggins Brothers Travelling Carnival until the group split up. Since then, she spent some time helping out a desperate elf who was searching for Sevenarches. One thing led to another and she had a sixth child, Larka. Larka is only two now, and Net is still too dumb and drunk to realize that Li'l Mama Boulie keeps a hat on the little girl to hide what is obvious to the kids and anyone else with a clue.

Though she's not eager to leave her kids, she has friends and other mothers who can take care of them for a while, plus Nilly, who never moved far away. Rowgun disappeared with a foreign woman years ago and Darl got eaten by an owlbear, but otherwise, the family is still more-or-less together.

This one is old and doesn't have her Profession: Cooking skills on it. Also, she is level 4 now.

The campaign I am running is to see if you can actually have a fun role playing that is combat "light", in a sense. The party is a group of con artists who were a travelling circus. In their backstory, they were set up, the circus was slaughtered, some family members died, and they are trying to find out what is going on. The campaign started off with two of them in prison (seeking information) and they had to work together and bust out of prison. In the end, because some distractions, some sneakery, Magic and Alchemy, they just walked right out.

However they found out later that there was some sort of massacre at the Prison. They haven't investigated it yet - but the rumors remind them of their circus getting slaughtered.

Anyway - it might peter out before the big reveal...

I hope not though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"As a GM I had many a player (the younger the more likely) that wanted combat solution just because they knew it was the best way to earn XP."

It's your job as DM to get them out of that habit. One of the best ways to do it is either hand out xp only when in town or end of session (including combat xp). Good way to test them is earlier on is giving them good quest xp whend ealing with enemies that have crap xp (gobs) if you use dialogue/non combat to deal with them. ie. 'Train' them away from expecting best xp awards to be combat oriented.

mastroego

Arcane
Some more Sawyer from today
Yeah, we're talking about various other forms of XP including exploration, trap, and lock XP. We've also discussed XP connected to unlocking elements in the bestiary, which is sort of a limited-pool form of combat XP that eventually gets exhausted and doesn't require you to commit genocide to reach it. Also, kith (humanoid people) are not (and would not be) in the bestiary, and those are the characters most often associated with quests.

I would have saluted him if he handled this "issue" with some sort of Moral System and/or consequences for needless slaughter.
But really, he shouldn't dictate people how to play. They might be clearing out monsters to make the roads safer..
Or they might just be powergamers having fun with their game the way they prefer.
It ain't rocket science.

msxyz

Augur
Some more Sawyer from today
Yeah, we're talking about various other forms of XP including exploration, trap, and lock XP. We've also discussed XP connected to unlocking elements in the bestiary, which is sort of a limited-pool form of combat XP that eventually gets exhausted and doesn't require you to commit genocide to reach it. Also, kith (humanoid people) are not (and would not be) in the bestiary, and those are the characters most often associated with quests.

I would have saluted him if he handled this "issue" with some sort of Moral System and/or consequences for needless slaughter.
But really, he shouldn't dictate people how to play. They might be clearing out monsters to make the roads safer..
Or they might just be powergamers having fun with their game the way they prefer.
It ain't rocket science.
On top of this add the fact that PoE is posed to be combat heavy therefore players are forced into frustrating filler combat which serves only as an artificial 'distraction' before reaching the goal.

Athelas

Arcane
The Eurogamers guys think it should be turn-based. :M

Also, something I noticed in this video (and in a lot of other videos of people playing PoE) is that they cast their AoE spells on the exact spot where the enemies were, completely misisng the point that they would have moved by the time the spell was done casting.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Been away for the weekend, nice to see Josh addressing a couple of things - invetory, combat XP etc.

When's the patch due guys?

Hormalakh

Magister
Combat XP? You mean kiddie babbie mode? Where you have to be given sweeties everytime you do something in game so you feel good about yourself?

So disappointed that Josh isn't sticking to his guns on this. If your combat experience is shit, then fix your combat. Don't polish that turd with combat xp.

So disappointed. Might as well put in romances too because all the babbies are whining.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Do you even read the posts? You just come up with random angry reactions.

I don't give a flying fuck about the XP system. It's just been a constant argument on the forums for ages. His suggestion there isn't bad because the Lore skill atm is fucking horrible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom