Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
But that's not the point. The point is that you are somehow trying to make the argument that because a Wizard hasn't used a sword in your selectively chosen sources, he should not be able to in a completely unrelated game. That's nonsense.

When you say selectively chosen sources, you actually mean source which were the direct inspiration for D&D

No, I don't. LotR supports Wizards with swords. The fact that Gandalf is Maia has nothing to do with his ability to pick up a blade. But this argument is pointless and retarded. As if Sawyer was in any way beholden to copy-paste Tolkien's definition of a Wizard into PoE. No fucking D&D cRPG has done that. Many exist where Wizard's can use swords.

This is one of the most retarded debates I've had on the subject of PoE.

Everyone knows Josh has a hard on for Gish characters.. since PoE doesn't allow multiclassing.. there was only one way to allow it.. Jk.. this argument is lame.. theres so many other things wrong with PoE.. this ranks as not even a blip on the radar..

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
But that's not the point. The point is that you are somehow trying to make the argument that because a Wizard hasn't used a sword in your selectively chosen sources, he should not be able to in a completely unrelated game. That's nonsense.

When you say selectively chosen sources, you actually mean source which were the direct inspiration for D&D

No, I don't. LotR supports Wizards with swords. The fact that Gandalf is Maia has nothing to do with his ability to pick up a blade. But this argument is pointless and retarded. As if Sawyer was in any way beholden to copy-paste Tolkien's definition of a Wizard into PoE. No fucking D&D cRPG has done that. Many exist where Wizard's can use swords.

This is one of the most retarded debates I've had on the subject of PoE.

Everyone knows Josh has a hard on for Gish characters.

I find that hard to believe since the distinct lack of a mage-knight type character is one of my personal letdowns with PoE. At least if he does, it's not very evident in PoE's class-design. That's just my personal preference that isn't being met here, obviously, so I don't have much cause to complain about this.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You guys still don't get it (I said this maybe a hundred times before).

There are people like me that love class restrictions and traits, because it
  • enhances the challenge to make a good party (weaknesses of one class can only be compensated by other classes)
  • enhance the challenge to find good loot/equipment for every character (not everyone can wear everything)
  • enables different power-curves per class over the course of the game
  • opens the chance to play with sub-optimal party-builds
in short it enhances the fun and challenge for people that want to choose a profession and then live with the rules that the game has preselected for this profession. I know from many discussions that many gamers think this way.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You guys still don't get it (I said this maybe a hundred times before).

There are people like me that love class restrictions and traits, because it
  • enhances the challenge to make a good party (weaknesses of one class can only be compensated by other classes)
  • enhance the challenge to find good loot/equipment for every character (not everyone can wear everything)
  • enables different power-curves per class over the course of the game
  • opens the chance to play with sub-optimal party-builds
in short it enhances the fun and challenge for people that want to choose a profession and then live with the rules that the game has preselected for this profession. I know from many discussions that many gamers think this way.

I mostly agree with you but I just don't feel that passionately about it.. I mean of all the things Josh took a big shit on.. This just ranks low.. as long as there is diversity among classes and the game is challenging.. I just chock it up to "mechanics" and "balance".. I am much more upset about the inventory system, the xp system, how combat works, the design philosophy behind abilities.. ect ect..

I won't be surprised if someone makes a IE version of this game through modding.. it would be very possible.. Basically just a mod to remove all the Sawyerisms from the game and leave the fresh coat of paint and sexy resolutions and top tier writing from MCA / Zeits.

The De-Sawyerification Mod

Lhynn

Arcane
Grunker Infinitron
and all the other fucktards
Wizards could use swords in AD&D. Getting tired of this shit,

How often does a wizard BODYBUILD to have more powerful spells?
I dont give a shit about that, in pillars of eternity having muscles makes magical powers concentrate more in your fingers or something, there are no weak powerful wizards in Mehoras. Its their setting and they have the right to treat their magic rules however the fuck they please, as long as they aknowledge it in the narrative. For example giants and dragons magic would be beyond what any human could ever hope to achieve.
Its just bullshit that only combat magic exists.

It is pretty hilarious how half the complainers say the classes are too restrictive and the other half say they're not restrictive enough.
We want restrictive and flexible classes, i dont see a problem with this. Weve yet to see perks in PoE either way, and thats whats suposed to give classes their flexibility, so im not really ready to comment on this. My complain is more about the fact that they reduced entire classes and ethos to a single combat role, that is incredibly shitty and anyone that even hints at defending it should burn in hell for his sins, because hes a fucking lying whore.

aleph

Arcane
You have to decide what you want this term to mean, people. Right now it's a catch-all for "I don't have any counterarguments so I just give up."

actually, it is clear to everyone but you what it means. But I guess this is the very nature of this term.

3rd edition.

So, wasting a feat you could use to become a better wizard on martial weapon proficiency is so extremely different from dual or multi classing fighter ...?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I dont give a shit about that, in pillars of eternity having muscles makes magical powers concentrate more in your fingers or something, there are no weak powerful wizards in Mehoras. Its their setting and they have the right to treat their magic rules however the fuck they please, as long as they aknowledge it in the narrative. For example giants and dragons magic would be beyond what any human could ever hope to achieve.
Sure there is. A high INT, PER wizard will cast large spells with long effects that frequently disrupt his enemies.

How is that not powerful?

Lhynn

Arcane
Sure there is. A high INT, PER wizard will cast large spells with long effects that frequently disrupt his enemies.

in the same very long hose with an unlimited water supply is not as powerful as a bazooka with unlimited ammo doe. It is handy for spells to last more and be more annoying, but you can hardly call that "Mighty"

SymbolicFrank

Magister

Would that play noticeably different from either a barbarian with the same attributes, or a wizard with other ones?

Well, the icons on the buttons might change. But other than that?

I heard that a wizard with maxed out int could not cast any AoE spells without friendly fire. But that's probably too newbie-unfriendly and will be fixed.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You have to decide what you want this term to mean, people. Right now it's a catch-all for "I don't have any counterarguments so I just give up."

actually, it is clear to everyone but you what it means.

10 pages ago it meant discussing what's being discussed. Now it means something different. I wish I could keep up with your self-invented insults.

So, wasting a feat you could use to become a better wizard on martial weapon proficiency is so extremely different from dual or multi classing fighter ...?

Who said it was?

Lhynn

Arcane

Would that play noticeably different from either a barbarian with the same attributes, or a wizard with other ones?

I heard that a wizard with maxed out int could not cast any AoE spells without friendly fire. But that's probably too newbie-unfriendly and will be fixed.
added area of effect should probably not target friendlies.

aleph

Arcane
10 pages ago it meant discussing what's being discussed. Now it means something different. I wish I could keep up with your self-invented insults.

I am pretty sure you are missing something with regard to that verb

Who said it was?

If it is not different, what's your point then?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

The classes play quite differently from each other, yes. I'm surprised that is even a question.

As to the second question, currently no. Attributes don't have enough of an effect yet, but that's just messing with numbers until they do. That's what the beta is for.

You heard wrong. Currently friendly fire is 1:1 for the full AoE. One change Josh is considering is that the increased area from high INT would have no friendly fire, but the initial area size would still be normal friendly fire. This is to make sure that higher INT is always good. Otherwise there might be situations where you wish you had smaller AoEs.

in the same very long hose with an unlimited water supply is not as powerful as a bazooka with unlimited ammo doe. It is handy for spells to last more and be more annoying, but you can hardly call that "Mighty"
First you say powerful, now you say might.

So you're saying you want a might attribute you can increase :troll:

[

Not in the next patch, interrupt is being cut (From attributes)
I haven't been able to keep up too busy getting trolled arguing on the 'dex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lhynn

Arcane
First you say powerful, now you say might.

So you're saying you want a might attribute you can increase :troll:
No, i was playing around with the words in reference to sawyers shitty attribute system.
I was talking about power as in how hard it is to resist and how much destructive power it has. raistilin magic was stronger than anyone in his generation, but he was cursed with a frail, weak and sickly body.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Aha. I was wondering why I hadn't seen a gib kill yet

rope kid said:
I think that's in now. Today we were doing a build review and all of the procedural blood/fire/electricity/acid/freeze hit effects are finally hooked up + gibs on a crit kill + the gibs have fire/electricity/acid/freeze particles if that's what killed them. Would you believe a rogue's arrow could cause a lion to explode into flying chunks of bloody lion meat? I've seen it with my own eyes.

It's in now refers to Critical Hit Screen Shake

Athelas

Arcane
You forgot the 'no homo' disclaimer. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom