Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah good point, I found the Asylum Catacombs fun, Ust Natha as a quest hub wasn't great but all of the nearby areas were pretty sweet fun.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
First meeting of the PoE team with a publisher:

Why you want to waste time and resources creating and balancing an entire new and untested ruleset no one knows about, if IE games used AD&D/D&D and we can use the d20 system for free? I think it's pretty clear that we can save resources, appeal to existing D&D fans and please IE fans better this way.

And there would be much rejoicing.
What the fuck? A publisher would have laughed them out of the office and told them to come back when they had something resembling Skyrim.

Hormalakh

Magister
If I recall correctly, publishers have laughed them out of the office and told them to come back when they had something resembling Skyrim. That's why they did Kickstarter.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nobody in their right mind would ask Obsidian to make a game the size of Skyrim.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Why you want to waste time and resources creating and balancing an entire new and untested ruleset no one knows about, if IE games used AD&D/D&D and we can use the d20 system for free? I think it's pretty clear that we can save resources, appeal to existing D&D fans and please IE fans better this way.

Just to jump on this, you think publishers are much more rational than they are. Making a proprietary system that the company owns and can't be copied by imitators? Well that's what every RPG since NWN2 have been.

Rake

Arcane
Depends whether or not you read the dialogue on every playthrough.
Bg2 was the first game i ever played. As a complete newb, with zero D&D knowledge and zero experience with cRPGs, and reading all dialogue, the game took me six months to finish :oops:(throne of Bhaal included though) I think it took me more than 250 hours...

Weasel
Bg2 was the first game i ever played. As a complete newb, with zero D&D knowledge and zero experience with cRPGs, and reading all dialogue, the game took me six months to finish :oops:(throne of Bhaal included though) I think it took me more than 250 hours...
Admit it, you were reading every book in the libraries thinking it would matter to the plot...

:troll:

The History of the North...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Suck Suck Suck said:
Does anyone else avoid the Pillars of Eternity forum like the plague? Every time I go on them to see if there any interesting developer discussion all I find is overly verbose lengthy posts about the smallest nitpicky issues, written in the most passive aggressive way. Take this example "Sensuki's Suggestions #012: Non-Terrible Main HUD [Mockup]", great not only has this guy made 12 threads spouting his opinions, but its just titled in such an arsehole way. There is something about Kickstarter that turns people into such pricks, I feel so sorry for the Obsidian guy having to read and moderate all this, also the developers who have to have their work poo poo on by some armchair designer.

Urgh. How can people stand that forum these days?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Nobody in their right mind would ask Obsidian to make a game the size of Skyrim.

No one in their right mind would ask Bethesda.

Skyrim wasn't their best work but it was a good game and it sold well which is more than enough reason. Obsidian OTOH has a checkerd track record. The kind of record you don't want to risk tens of millions of dollars on.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Suck Suck Suck said:
Does anyone else avoid the Pillars of Eternity forum like the plague? Every time I go on them to see if there any interesting developer discussion all I find is overly verbose lengthy posts about the smallest nitpicky issues, written in the most passive aggressive way. Take this example "Sensuki's Suggestions #012: Non-Terrible Main HUD [Mockup]", great not only has this guy made 12 threads spouting his opinions, but its just titled in such an arsehole way. There is something about Kickstarter that turns people into such pricks, I feel so sorry for the Obsidian guy having to read and moderate all this, also the developers who have to have their work poo poo on by some armchair designer.

Urgh. How can people stand that forum these days?
This person should have to read our entire 1300 page megathread A Clockwork Orange style. Then see if he or she thinks this partially tongue-in-cheek thread title is that of an "arsehole".

Shadenuat

Arcane

Technically you can't use d20 for free I think, unless you rename everything and only keep d20 roll.

Spockrock

Augur
However, do you really think the "unconventional structure" bit applies to its 2nd half?
I think the unconventional structure bit applies to distribution of quests/content across chapters. you spend the first half of the game establishing who your enemy is, making allies and getting ready to sail off into the unknown. it makes sense that you'd want to tie all your loose ends, so I'm guessing that's why the city has so many quests. once you go after Imoen you as a player are locked on. it makes no sense to give many sidequests to players, because they're already fixed on ending Irenicus. I suppose Bio thought most players would just want to get through the story ASAP after that point

tuluse

Arcane

Technically you can't use d20 for free I think, unless you rename everything and only keep d20 roll.
D20 is OGL. It's completely free.

D&D copyrighted monsters and spells are not.

Rake

Arcane
Admit it, you were reading every book in the libraries thinking it would matter to the plot...

:troll:

The History of the North...
:lol: Not even a third, but i read some of them.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Uhhhhhh...F:NV?

Obsidian didn't make F:NV on their own, Bethesda made the engine and many of the assets. F:NV is a giant standalone Fallout 3 mod. Hardly the same as making an actual game from scratch. And F:NV is smaller than Skyrim (and Fallout 3 for that matter) anyway.

Mortmal

Arcane
I just played one, its called Divinity original sin, 80 hours first playthrough, 80 hours without any filler content . BG2 dont beat that .You should try it too.
You can get 80 hours in bg2 and not even be half way done.
I dont remember spending that much time on it , and ive read all the text. Quick search on internet, people claim to have spent 40-80h on it, most often around 80 hours . Could depends on how familiar you are with D&D ruleset too, it was classic AD&D so no surprises to me . BG2 is on a pedestal, it was THE RPG, a huge game , but as with every great ancient games maybe we remember it even greater than it really was .

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
," they probably forced them to make the game much more casual. "

It's already rather casual.

"I just played one, its called Divinity original sin, 80 hours first playthrough, 80 hours without any filler content . BG2 dont beat that .You should try it too."

WRONG.

"nwn1 would be improved with a better campaign or somewhat better graphics, therefore it cannot be the best game ever as the improved version would be better than itself."

How can that be when your mythical 'imprvoed version' doesn't exist. Let me know when NWN1 is 'remade'. P.S. It won't be.

"Also any real casuals throw the game (and themselves I hope) from the window after first few battles."

Why? It's easy.

"And Rhomal is a mean drunk."

Rhomal was a loser. L0L

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Should be the games's theme song. It sounds like the same gibberish.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I was about to give the beta another try after having experienced the practical virtual trashcan with my inital tryout, but having read all (ok, half to most) of the stuff that's been said about it, I think I'll wait for the first BB patch to try out the next time. Everything I've read strengthens my initial impression of the game being a mess at the moment.

I'm not quite sure about the combat XP fuss, because it's quite a lot dependant on the ratio between the (now more literal than ever) trashmobs and the encounters within a quest location that might involve fighting. I don't mind it at all if I encouter a few beetles that only produce some beetle innards, but if the bulk of the games combat contet is about that, then there might be a problem.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom