Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Beta live at Gamescom 2014

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Backer inn is already in the game? What did we get for raising obscene amount for eternity?

LarsWestergren

Educated

Well all right. Then I disagree with you. Not every class should have the ability to disengage, and it looks like they won't. Rogues have Disengage as class ability, and mages can knock enemies back with Grimoire Slam. Other characters can move away manually, but at the cost of provoking attacks of opportunity.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
game looks tight as hell. brennecke needs lessons from sawyer on how to play it tho.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SkkzCw6.jpg

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Looks pretty good. And it seems what Icewind Dale 2 lacked, a main character and better story.

Shevek

Arcane
The gameplay looks pretty good at those mid levels. It certainly looks more indepth than the IE games. Selectable auras, assorted active skills, etc. The only difficulty inherent in the IE games were the enemies that had cheap moves (time stop, brain suck, etc) or the poor "magic protection" battles (breach, dispel, etc). This looks like REAL difficulty. Things like positioning and skill use matter should matter a heck of alot more than having the right immunity items or spell casting class.

As for the difficulty, that can be tweaked in beta. Still, they might want to tone down the difficulty for those previews.

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just upped my pledge after watching this, this is EXACTLY what I wanted; an update IE game with gorgeous graphics, fun combat and old school values
I wish the changed the "you died" screen to something more reactive; if your part died in the woods they could show your moss covered bones, in a cave they could show a half submerged skull etc

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Just upped my pledge after watching this, this is EXACTLY what I wanted; an update IE game with gorgeous graphics, fun combat and old school values
I wish the changed the "you died" screen to something more reactive; if your part died in the woods they could show your moss covered bones, in a cave they could show a half submerged skull etc

Not a bad idea, I'll forward it to Adam and Josh.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Wake me up when it's on GOG!

P.S. The video looks solid.

P.S.S. I love the monster info stuff.

P.S..S This is, by far, the best video of the game so far.

Game play look sterrific.

Last edited:

Avellion

Erudite
Game looks great, what more can I say?

Oh yeah, it is clear Obsidian are not holding back. This entire package looks like a labor of love, not only towards the game they are making, but the IE games as a whole.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
it's so true to the roots they even emulate the horrible path finding of the infinity engine.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cyclopedia looks really neat. It could be my favourite new feature (comapred to IE games).

The rest of the game does not look half-bad too.

Preordered the expansion by upping my pledge $20.

throwaway

Cipher
I like the look of the combat. The UI really helps make the usual IE structure less of a clusterfuck.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom