Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Beta live at Gamescom 2014, Day Three + Wasteland 2 bonus video

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Brennecke; Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity; Wasteland 2

Pillars of Eternity wasn't on the main Gamescom Twitch broadcast yesterday, but it did show up on two other sites - Gamereactor and Orkenspalter TV. Once again, Adam Brennecke plays while Josh Sawyer provides commentary. The latter video also contains a short interview with Josh.

As an added bonus, here's a playthrough of Wasteland 2's Ag Center over at Joystiq, with commentary from Brian Fargo.

Too bad the audio is so crappy.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
As an added bonus, here's a playthrough of Wasteland 2's Ag Center
sure. 'cos playing through ag center ourselves isn't painful enough. now you make us watch somebody else do that crappy area.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The Joystiq narrator guy is fucking annoying. Why is it every goddamn game journalist who does those things has to brand him/herself as a "HUGE NERD!" Because I'm willing to bet most of them were not huge nerds when they were kids. And even if they were, who fucking cares? When did this commodification of your nerdy childhood become a currency? Shut the fuck up.

Anyways, excited as hell for both games. I was worried about WL2 for a while there, but it has shaped up.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, WL2 is starting to look fun and playable.

And, outside of some mostly minor quibbles, PE is looking awesomesaucey.

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
PoE looks good, like Infinity Engine upgraded and with proper turn-based combat.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Um. Yeah. Known fact since it was first announced. How can you be on the fukkiin' Codex since 2010 and not know that very basic fact? FUCK OFF ROOKIE.

tindrli

Arcane
i dont give a fuck.. i just want to play all of them and with little luck enjoy the damn thing

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Audio in that Wasteland 2 video makes it unwatchable for me.

All the better, because I have played through Ag Center once already and I do not really feel the need to refresh that experience.

PoE is looking mighty fine, although I am still worried about the amount of micro-management needed for basic fights. It deprives the combat of any fluidity whatsoever.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
The Joystiq narrator guy is fucking annoying. Why is it every goddamn game journalist who does those things has to brand him/herself as a "HUGE NERD!" Because I'm willing to bet most of them were not huge nerds when they were kids. And even if they were, who fucking cares? When did this commodification of your nerdy childhood become a currency? Shut the fuck up.

Anyways, excited as hell for both games. I was worried about WL2 for a while there, but it has shaped up.

I had to stop watching after he said he played Wasteland 1 when he was 5 years old. No, I think you are bullshitting.

Xi

Arcane
POE looks great! That's a day one purchase for me. It looks like an Infinity engine game with modern improvements. The art is looking utterly fantastic. I will back there next project if this is good.

I really like the DnD esq rules. However, since they aren't bound by a publisher/rights holder, a lot of the tweaks/improvements are common sense (and seem to follow better principles of reinforcement - the inn example is great).

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014

I had to stop watching after he said he played Wasteland 1 when he was 5 years old. No, I think you are bullshitting.

Yeah, pretty much. He's full of shit.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You know what pisses me off most about these videos? It makes me want to play it now but I can't because a) I didn't pay to be a playtester and b) it's only on steam and why have steam when i have gog?

Damn. Now, I'm probably gonna be spoiled by those playing it. L0LZ

P.S. I absolute love the way they do the inns. That said, the one strength/weakness, it it seems you'll be forced often to rest in the wilderness so byt the team you reach a boss/tough encounetr you won't have the benefits anyways. ie. In the video, they had the benefits against the first beetle battle but didn't have it versus the spiders or ogre. Of course, the player sucked so I don't see someone as awesome as me resting THAT much but still, soemthing to ponder...

Leshy

Educated
I don't have access to the alpha/beta of PoE, but I managed to play a bit at Gamescom. The build they were showing was, for all intents and purposes, Infinity Engine 2.0. The behavior is exactly the same, even some of the UI and spell/ability icons are the identical to the ones used in BG/IW. If somebody told me this is a mod of IW2 I would believe it.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
I assume the reused assets from IWD2 are just placeholders. I hope so, anyway. I know they want to recreate that IE feel, but reusing assets from a 12 year old game feels tacky.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I assume the reused assets from IWD2 are just placeholders. I hope so, anyway. I know they want to recreate that IE feel, but reusing assets from a 12 year old game feels tacky.

Where specifically are they using IWD2 placeholder art? They are not using any IWD2 placeholder art, because Interplay owns the rights to that art.

dukeofwhales

Cipher

Where specifically are they using IWD2 placeholder art? They are not using any IWD2 placeholder art, because Interplay owns the rights to that art.

Spell icons and cursors were what I noticed.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK yeah. I thought you were more meaning like background art or something.

I think those are NWN2 icons?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh that's right. I remember Feargus mentioning they bought rights to *something*. Was it Icewind Dale?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh that's right. I remember Feargus mentioning they bought rights to *something*. Was it Icewind Dale?
Not rights, literal assets. Obsidian bought them years ago. Finally found a way to use them.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
All this coverage has made me realize there are way too many damn game conventions these days. I feel like these guys spend so much time doing media, how do they get shit done

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom