Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Deleted member 7219

...ableist...

Wait what? That's actually a word (and that's what it means)? I always thought it was a typo, or related to a movement like Taoism or something :?

It's a word for derogatory attitudes towards disabled people.

Athelas

Arcane
So Obsidian hired a white (possibly half-Asian) woman to voice Pallegina, good to see blackface is still alive and well.
They have to pay homage to Baldur's Gate, and continue the proud tradition that began with Jennifer Hale hilariously awful performance as Dynaheir:

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
...ableist...

Wait what? That's actually a word (and that's what it means)? I always thought it was a typo, or related to a movement like Taoism or something :?

It's a word for derogatory attitudes towards disabled people.

Its usage is very debatable.

Not that there isn't/wasn't a problem with integrating disabled people properly into society. It lead to disabled only communities which were basically tumblr before tumblr existed.

Anyway that topic belongs somewhere else or in retardo.

Last edited:

accismus

Literate
White actors playing black characters is blackface Tropic Thunder, simple as.

FTFY

Key point is "actors" are different from "voice actors". Having a black American person voice act a Jamaican or an Italian is just as out of place as having an American of any other ethnicity do it.

The Fish

Arcane
So Obsidian hired a white (possibly half-Asian) woman to voice Pallegina, good to see blackface is still alive and well.
They have to pay homage to Baldur's Gate, and continue the proud tradition that began with Jennifer Hale voicing Dynaheir:

"these boots were made for walking and that's just what they'll do"

Fuck me that's awful. At least Pillars of Eternity will be a true spiritual successor in terms of shitty voice acting and party 'banter'.

Athelas

Arcane
Has this been posted? BAdler:
I would like to point out that Obsidian has spent a good deal of its own money and resources in developing PoE. I can understand that some people may feel the game is not worth what we are charging, but trust me when I say that this game has a lot of content in it. Lots more than many AAA titles I have worked on.

I would also like to point out that the price of a game is not always tied to development cost. As an example, Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million dollars to develop, but when I purchased it, it was the same price as any other AAA PC game at the time. I am not sure how much the latest Dragon Age cost to develop, but it was probably significantly less. They are selling the game for $60... even more than I paid for SW:TOR. I realize that SW:TOR was likely relying on monthly payments to recoup cost, but it also has massive ongoing costs of a live team and many servers to upkeep. The case I just mentioned shows that sometimes it doesn't matter how much it cost to develop something, companies will only charge what they think people will pay for their game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This just confirmes that unfortunately you can't make a complex, good looking RPG for 3,5 million dollars.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This just confirmes that unfortunately you can't make a complex, good looking RPG for 3,5 million dollars.

Neither for 200 million - SWTOR still looks and plays like shit (judging by the videos and Codex discussions, I didn't play it). I think the quality depends on who is making the game. While POE doesn't look very impressive, I hope it will have great gameplay and it will be a good RPG unlike games made by Bio.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hope Obsidian isn't delusional in their hopes that most people will consider PoE worth five more dollars than Original Sin. They won't be thinking of the lukewarm Wasteland 2.

Did the point of that element in that movie go over your head?

Key point is "actors" are different from "voice actors". Having a black American person voice act a Jamaican or an Italian is just as out of place as having an American of any other ethnicity do it.

I don't see it that way at all. Didn't even notice anything incongruent when the English Christian Bale played an American psycho.

accismus

Literate
Did the point of that element in that movie go over your head?

I was agreeing with that statement (with a more meaningful and sensible term than 'blackface'), in contrast to the point about voice acting, which seems to have gone over your head.

I don't see it that way at all. Didn't even notice anything incongruent when the English Christian Bale played an American psycho.

Acting is different from voice acting. When you're acting, you need to put on a voice and also match the visuals of the character you're trying to portray. Voice acting does not need the second part.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Regarding the price, why do people even argue about it? Just because it is a 2D game? Fucking retards! It has more content, more complex gameplay than AAA games, but just because it is not 3D, should they sell it for 25 dollars? I think 40 dollars is a reasonable pricetag for it.

well, imo all digital sales are way too expensive. the devs/publishers have no manufactoring costs and we're still talking about retail charges. i know that in mass production those costs were already down to a few cents, but at least you had something physical in your hands. and lets not start about deluxe versions loaded with all those digital bonuses, like ringtones and ripped music and wallpapers and stuff like that. no wonder that key stores are so popular.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They won't be thinking of the lukewarm Wasteland 2.
It remains to be seen whether PoE is a better game than WL2. It looks nice and obviously it has improved much since early beta but WL2 set a very high standard. I haven't had so much fun playing a video game since I was a kid.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Has this been posted? BAdler:
I would like to point out that Obsidian has spent a good deal of its own money and resources in developing PoE. I can understand that some people may feel the game is not worth what we are charging, but trust me when I say that this game has a lot of content in it. Lots more than many AAA titles I have worked on.

I would also like to point out that the price of a game is not always tied to development cost. As an example, Star Wars: The Old Republic cost $200 million dollars to develop, but when I purchased it, it was the same price as any other AAA PC game at the time. I am not sure how much the latest Dragon Age cost to develop, but it was probably significantly less. They are selling the game for $60... even more than I paid for SW:TOR. I realize that SW:TOR was likely relying on monthly payments to recoup cost, but it also has massive ongoing costs of a live team and many servers to upkeep. The case I just mentioned shows that sometimes it doesn't matter how much it cost to develop something, companies will only charge what they think people will pay for their game.
I did not know they used their own money on PoE development, but I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise with the delays. Kickstarter funds weren't going to fund the game forever.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

:retarded:

Unless she does a "ching chong ding dong" voice I don't see how the fuck you can say that.

It is like saying The Theory of Everything was ableist because they didn't hire a disabled actor to play Stephen Hawking.

Actors act. In ancient theatre men often played women, and women often played men.
Roguey, you are trying too hard. I think that among the real SJWs, nowadays it is actually a sign of racism if you expect a black character to speak with an accent. That's how deep their insecurities go I guess...

Speaking about accents and black characters, I loved the Monkey Island-style voodoo-lady accent of Vivienne in DAI :lol:

They have to pay homage to Baldur's Gate, and continue the proud tradition that began with Jennifer Hale voicing Dynaheir:

"these boots were made for walking and that's just what they'll do"

Fuck me that's awful. At least Pillars of Eternity will be a true spiritual successor in terms of shitty voice acting and party 'banter'.

Not that it's not awful, sure it is but oh well, that was the Baldur's Gate take on pop-culture references. Overall, I think their style is fitting for something released in 98. And the rest of them are roughly of the same quality.

polo

Magister
LOL wat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom