Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Duraframe300, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Jeez, that draconic ecology is really dumb.

A lot of PoE's creatures are stuck in a tough place. They have to replicate the combat/questing functions of classic D&D monsters while also integrating well, thematically and tonally, with the more "gritty" world-building that Sawyer is doing. So instead of reptilian-humanoid kobolds that are dumb, violent, and worship dragons, we have the reptilian-humanoid xaurips that can't communicate with other sapient beings because of their snouts, are violent, and worship dragons. I get it, and I can mostly deal with that (though the snout/communication part irks me in a few ways, mostly related to issues outside the scope of the gameworld).

But the way they handled dragons...are you kidding me? Classic case of trying way too hard to be different. The fluid sexuality, epigenetics, extremely strange life-cycle and reproductive habits...come on. Are they just trolling everyone at this point?

^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I suspect your exposure to certain heterodox websites has affected your impression of this

It looks fine to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    My take is they are trolling Dragon Age.

It's an interpretation I like and I'll stick to it even if they deny. I like the explanation behind this feature of dragons in its own right, because it has parallels in real-world biology and this makes the fantasy more believable imo, but if it's also trolling Dragon Age it makes it more fun :lol:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. aeonsim Augur

aeonsim
    Parrots:
    The sex shifting is fine, numerous species do so (see frogs, and a number of fish).
    A multi-stage life cycle isn't that crazy either (see frogs again, butterflies/moths), though I can't immediately think of any with 3 stages off the top of my head (except maybe some parasites).
    Multiple physical outcomes with the same genes/species is rare but I was at a conference last week where an example (type of plankton) had 2 possible fates.
    Colour changing to fit the environment is also seen in some species.

The most unrealistic thing is the different elemental breath attacks, but hey magic so why not...

Though we do have different species that have different attacks some can shock with an electric charge, others spray steam/heated chemicals or spit poison so while it seems unlikely that it's possible to combine all those in one species it's not like we're talking about a shapeshifter...

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Cyberarmy Arcane Patron

Cyberarmy
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Fantasy Role Playing
    Fantasy

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    It was a plot point in Jurassic Park how, because of the frog dna they used, the dinosaurs were able to change their sex and breed without restrictions. :smug:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  7. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Parrots:
    They wanted to troll DraQ

^ Top  
  8. Wizfall Arbiter

Wizfall
    Parrots:
    Sawyer telling you almost all cRPG's character system are doing it wrong and then creating a fabulous system where Might make you a better healer and cast more powerful spell so now he can play a muscle wizard (and you must be bodybuilder wizard now to cast powerful spells or heal because that makes much more sense... right ?) and you did not notice the trolling already ?:bounce:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. doggfookker Educated

doggfookker
    Parrots:
    Hey, does anyone want to see...

my eternal pillar?

;-)

^ Top  
  10. Tjaron Educated

Tjaron
    Parrots:
    While muscle hypertrophy is in part responsible for strength gains, a significant part is due to neural adaptions. Your CNS becomes more adapt at sending contraction signals to your muscles. That is why powerlifters and olympic lifters are usually significantly smaller and yet stronger than most top bodybuilders. So just think of "Might" as having a very powerful CNS (instead of a big, muscular figure) which also helps in channeling powerful magic.

^ Top  
  11. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    I'm bored, so I'm going to post the stuff from the newly updated credits from v435:

Three Environment Artists apparently also worked on the game:

Kelvin Nakamura (Environment Art Intern)
    Jena Mae Ruhl
    Demi Warren

The outsource studio was Streamline Studios

Additional Art (which probably means portraits and/or icons?)

Aaron DuBois
    Nicole Evanich
    Bobby Hernandez
    Jessica Kernan
    Geoff Schofield

Audio Designer

Adam Lehwald

Additional Programming

Preston Hulcy (we heard about him during the production meeting)
    Chris Jones
    Nate McDorman
    Bryson Thill

The four unknown QA (probably hired later)

Markus J. Burks
    Blake Cramer
    Charles Teng
    Ken Tran

CASTING AND VOICE

Recorded at PCB Productions, Los Angeles, CA

Talent Direction: Valerie Arem

Cast

Valerie Arem
    Edward Bosco
    Richard Epcar
    Todd Haberkorn
    Mela Lee
    Matthew Mercer
    Dave B. Mitchell
    Liam O'Brien
    Tara Platt
    Sam Regal
    Cindy Robinson
    Gigi Sarroino
    Patrick Seitz
    Stephanie Sheh
    Michael Sinterniklaas
    Chris Smith

There's also a special thanks section which includes VO people eg. Orion Acaba (he did the E3 narration) and Elspeth Eastman also did some voice. It's possible that some of those people did the voice sets?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    ^ Top  
  12. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Test video about damage calculation

I'll make a better one at a later stage. I forgot a few things, and the recovery time formula is wrong.

^ Top  
  13. Bester Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  14. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    What he means is - if you want to be able to use any modding other than edited code, support that thread, because now you can't edit items, spells or abilities without extreme difficulty.

^ Top  
  15. Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    Surprising, given this recent interview:

^ Top  
  16. Ellef Deplorable

Ellef
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    What possible advantage could there be in doing this? I imagine it must be some sort of temp fix or error.

^ Top  
  17. Bester Arcane Vatnik

Bester
    Parrots:
    It's most likely an unintentional side effect of the memory optimization pass. Doesn't matter, what's important is are they aware of it and are they going to fix it? Even if they have absolutely NO time whatsoever for it right now, at least make a promise to fix it by v1.1. It's pretty bad to give something to people and then to take it away.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Frusciante Arbiter The Real Fanboy

Frusciante
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    I just played the beta again for first time in couple of months. Combat seems much improved. However, there is barely any soound in the game. Is there a bug with the sound? I hear no music, no background noise etc.

^ Top  
  19. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    There are a few sound bugs, yep. There may be a final BB patch next week.

^ Top  
  20. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    For the next version of the IE mod, we'll have a bottom bar UI submitted by Karkarov which I like a lot better than Kaz's one. It's pretty evident that Obsidian only spent a couple of hours on the solid UI just to shut everyone up. I wouldn't be surprised if they laughed that people were happy about it or something.

Below are a couple of WIPs, the bottom one is a 99% finished version of my preferred layout

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Apexeon Arcane

Apexeon
    Parrots:
    So are you saying OE are lazy with there UI?

^ Top  
  22. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Apexeon They implemented a solid backing in v435. These are the default textures (with modded element positioning).

Most of the textures are recycled from other parts of the game.

^ Top  
  23. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    So Obsidian hired a white (possibly half-Asian) woman to voice Pallegina, good to see blackface is still alive and well.

^ Top  
  24. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Actually I'm not 100% sure who did Pallegina, I just thought it was her based on the imdb picture. Whoever it is sounds the part, they put on a Jamaican style accent for her.

^ Top  
  25. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Well all those female vas are either white or asian.

Also Cindy Robinson and Gigi Sarroino are the same person.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)