Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity 3.03 sans expansion: Final Judgment from the 1st Disciple of Sawyerity

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've finally played and completed Pillars of Eternity. Sordid details following.

Systems (Sawyerism Ascending)

I made an artistic crit monster Orlan rogue with most of my points in intelligence, perception, and resolve. I took passive abilities and talents whenever I could (on all characters). Despite not powergaming by any means, my characters felt pretty rewarding to build and effective in combat, ergo this has a great character creation and leveling system with more flexibility than D&D. Sure, there are a bunch of talents that I'd never consider taking, but they do have value as convenience features or theme-based builds.

It's not perfect by any means. Despite building as passively as possible, it still has a bit of a per-encounter problem, and I was always very happy to come across enemies with immunities to knockdown, blindness, and/or hobbling because it meant I could disregard bothering with those abilities.

I tried out every character class except the monk, and enjoyed playing every one except the cipher, which has a major per-encounter problem. Such a micro-heavy class is better played with the AI on, which brings about a noticeable drop in difficulty. I imagine one can get the game to play itself by making at least two ciphers, and assigning one to Damage and the other to Crowd Control. No wonder this is the preferred class of Chris Avellone and Something Awful goons. I'll stick with the far more prestigious Vancian casters (and ignore the comparably-micro-heavy monk).

Skills are very sensible, and it's nice to have a system where everyone in the party can get a benefit from everything. I'm grateful Sawyer reworked athletics and fatigue into what they are now, because having a soft time limit would have been a constant source of anxiety.

Despite all the gripes from others about things like engagement and lack of rounds, it mostly felt like playing an Infinity Engine title. The only two big changes to my playstyle were my staggering of ranged attacks (on account of range differences) and my refusal to move characters away when attacked.

The knockdown injuries added in 3.0 were sometimes insignificant and sometimes a minor inconvenience, which works with its goal of punishing you for less-than-optimal playing without being so harsh as to force a reload or an immediate rest.

I can't understand the problems so many others have with magical loot, though it's admittedly never been a concern of mine in any RPG. As with combat, it all felt very D&D-ish to me.

Didn't dislike the stronghold, but I didn't love it either. The rest bonuses were nice to have (though an infrequent rester like me would have possibly been better off sticking with high priced inn rooms), and the quest added in 3.0 was entertaining enough (though The Battle of Yenwood Field sends the framerate plummeting with all those characters on screen), but I didn't think much of the loot from the adventures. I only had to deal with two random attacks on account of pumping up security asap, so that wasn't an issue.

Writing (Not so much of a folly after all)

I was expecting dry dialogue and first-draft awkwardness (Robe Man is Pillars's Jeyne Kassynder), and that's what I received. I was also expecting massive lore dumps, but this doesn't come across as any more infodumpy than Mask of the Betrayer or New Vegas. I think a lot of people have just gotten too used to CD Projekt-style writing, and Josh Sawyer's fixation with making people sound as mundane as possible exacerbates the issue. After all, this is a guy who thinks Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is a first-rate example of a game with great dialogue, and finds Metal Gear too gaudy.

However, just because it's dry doesn't mean it's humorless. There were quite a few humorous moments, and it's unfortunate there's an audience out there who seemingly won't be satisfied with anything less than Full-Minsc.

eoA2SA1.jpg

5cmOd7l.jpg

rOWHeQr.jpg

mlxIAEc.jpg

ER5SkDh.jpg

hr204Ym.jpg

I don't see the problem with character motivation either. Your first goal is to find out what happened to you, and once that's done, to find out how to stop yourself from being forced to re-enact past-life flashbacks until you lose your mind entirely. There's also the Black Isle tradition of choosing your motivation in dialogue (with an "I don't know" option for those not paying attention).

5r6adD1.jpg

Additionally, I'm sure it's been stated many times before, but voiced dialogue should not be included in any nodes that include text descriptions; it makes reading along very uncomfortable. I hope they learned their lesson and put this into their writing guidelines.

I enjoyed all the companion content and didn't outright dislike any of them, though the resting required to continue Durance and Grieving Mother's quests was frustrating (Avellone must be a frequent rester). I had to rest twice in a row at the end just to finish Durance's quest, and it's somewhat disappointing how, unlike all the other companions, there were no roleplaying choices to make with him other than choosing to finish the conversation or not.

Even though she's officially the Least-Liked companion, I thought Pallegina's attitude was fun, though Josh was awfully heavy with the social justice allegory, even (probably unintentionally) including a nod to the Respectful Nod and (possibly intentionally) spreading his girlfriend's pro-Israel beliefs.

MrIKhX1.jpg

m2Xz3cg.jpg

z9ZuV0g.jpg

D6U6u99.jpg

7gNLZKY.jpg

PRzuIrh.jpg

(As an aside, there's also a Dyrwood-as-Africa bit)

2CLKgV3.jpg

Moreover, as noted by at least one goon over a year ago, Pallegina's confrontation with Hylea is the fantasy equivalent of A Boy Named Sue. If I wasn't so wary about identity-related things, I'd commission an image of Pallegina yelling "MY NAME IS SUE! HOW DO YOU DO! NOW YOU'RE GONNA DIE!" at the flock of birds that is Hylea.

tUJawzo.jpg

The recurring themes I noticed were Learning to Live with Disappointment (awfully meta of them), and that one Rolling Stones song (I saw Woedica at the reception, a glass of wine in her hand...).

Content (Icewind Dale 3+ [the plus is for further enhancement])

I'll agree with Sensuki on at least one thing: exploring nothing but wide maps doesn't feel very-Infinity-Engine-like. I'd have liked to have explored some squares and vertical rectangles. The combat density in these wide non-Od Nua maps is between the first Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale (not counting expansions, my BG kills: 700 IWD: 1700 PoE: 1300 with a brief excursion through level 7 of Od Nua, 1100 without); I can understand the angst from BG superfans who want huge empty places to clear black in, but I'm fine with it, and it shouldn't come as a surprise considering Sawyer's pre-release thoughts on it (BG too empty, IWD2 too dense).

As for what I thought about this combat? I played on Hard difficulty, and I thought it was fantastic. Just about every area had a good number of demanding/interesting fights by the same standard I used for BG/IWD/IWD2 (anything that requires more than auto-attacking or per-encounter rote actions), and I made sure to write down every one.

Temple of Eothas
-
First fight with a skuldr king
Will-o-wisps
2 groups of shades
A group with two skuldr kings

Anslog's Compass
-
Fight with a Xaurip Champion and a Priest

Black Meadow
-
The Bandit Camp
The two forest lurkers

Raedric's Hold
-
Osrya and her undead crew
The Black Ooze room
Raedric and his crew

Caed Nua
-
Those stunning phantoms

Woodend Plains
-
Pwgras and forest trolls
The lion pride

Defiance Bay
-
The party in the thieves' hideout
Trolls and sporelings in the Catacombs
Skeletons and skeleton wizards in the Catacombs
Dodwyna's group
The big asylum fight with the flesh constructs and crazed patients
A skeleton party in Heritage Hill
Tons of undead outside the tower in Heritage Hill
A cean gwla and her thralls in Heritage Hill
The two groups of animats, rain blights, and an adra animat on the shore of Ondra's Gift
The spectre/shade ambush in the lighthouse (didn't bother trying out the Cean Gwla at the top but I'm sure it would have been a challenge)
The party on the bridge from The Forgotten sidequest
All the rogue knights attacking the Crucible Knights

Stormwall Gorge
-
An adragan, delemgan, elder lion, and lions

Dyrford Crossing
-
Menpwgra, forest lurkers, and pwgra
3 massive groups of widowmaker and ivory spiders (one with a spider queen)
Korgrak the Ogre and his elder bears
Wyrmund and the Skaen cultists

Cliaban Rilag
-
Corrupted druids, pwgra, and menpwgra
Those damn mind-controlling Swamp Spores
Two groups of a bunch of animats, one with an Adra Animat

Searing Falls
-
2 groups of drakes with flame blights
Cail the Silent along with xaurips and drakes

Pearlwood Bluff
-
Drakes and menpwgra

Stormwall Gorge revisited
-
The Leaden Key party
Two elder stelgaers and stelgaers
Two swamp spores
Stelgaers, pwgra, and a forest lurker

Elmshore: Holy cow did they retune this with 3.0. Every fight off the critical path is an ordeal. At first I was concerned it was going to be nothing but Spiked Difficulty from here on out, but fortunately that wasn't the case.
-
Two adragans and rain blights
An Adra beetle, stone beetle, forest lurkers, and a troll
Adragans, beetles, and forest lurkers
Adragans and blights
Ogre matron, ogre druids, and ogres

Oldsong
-
Bears, a petrifying jerk, and a barbarian

Northweald/Temple of Hylea: There's a massive group of forest lurkers and rain blights that's notable for its tediousness, I'm surprised that made it through the Great Re-Tuning.
-
Adragans and adra beetles
The sky dragon

Return to Raedric's Hold
-
Raedric with his charming fampyrs. I imagine a better player than me could beat this one without requiring the services of a level 11 Durance, specifically immunity from charm, but I could not.

Burial Isle and the End Game: I should note that by this point I was feeling ready to complete this, so I didn't explore these areas fully; just enough to complete Hiravias's quest, then I used the shortcut and made a beeline to Thaos.
-
Cean glwas, spectres, and shades
Thaos and the statues

I'm sure you've noticed that I skipped out on Od Nua and the bounties. By the time I had done all the story quests I wanted to do (everything except Berath's quest and one that required bird-stealing; neither fit my benevolent artist's character), my main character and Durance (who was the only companion to never leave my party because I wanted that quest to finish damnit) were level 11, so I used map metaknowledge to complete Kana's sidequest ASAP (by the way, I don't appreciate their putting his quest seven levels down) and it was all very easy given my level. If I should replay Pillars in the future, I plan to do almost nothing but critical path content, the megadungeon, and the bounties.

How I Believe Pillars of Eternity Stacks Up to Other RPGs

The Worthy Successor: It blows both Icewind Dale games out of the water (though I admit I think Isair and Madae are more interesting antagonists than Thaos), and I enjoyed it more than the first Baldur's Gate (which I did like once it got going in chapter 3). I expect and hope Pillars 2 will make BG2 look quaint by comparison.

The Best Combat of Obsidian's Catalogue: It knocks Dungeon Siege III off its perch. Obviously it doesn't have the best role-playing or writing, but it's decent enough and far more ambitious than DS3 and South Park while retaining their level of polish. I believe Sawyer made the right call with his priorities; it just took over a year of refinement to make it right.

What About Divinity: Original Sin?: Enjoyed the combat in both, but preferred PoE's writing, character system, and user interface. Sawyerism held its own against Vinckeism as far as I'm concerned. I know there are quite a few powergaming strategy/tactical game pros here who disagree with me on both counts, but I'm just an above-average player who thought that Hard was plenty hard (no, I won't be playing Path of the Damned), and who completed Icewind Dale 1+2 and Baldur's Gate within the last few years and therefore not influenced by blurry nostalgic memories or user-made difficulty mods by and for aforementioned pros.

Did they Meet their Goals?

Josh Sawyer said:
We said we were going to give you three things: a great story with mature themes and meaningful choice, RTwP party-based tactical combat, and the exploration of fantastic environments.
As far as I'm concerned, they were partially successful, successful, and partially successful.

Addendum post

Last edited:
I fucking loved Pillars. There is no other like it on the market. I don't care about Divinity because the story and dialogue sucks, Wasteland 2 it's to big and boring for it's own sake. I am finishing another play of Arcanum right now until Tyranny releases so, yeah Pillars of Eternity is a huge incline in my book! ( not playing right now because I already invested over 400h ). But you should definitely play the White March expansion. It's better because it has more reactivity plus no backer NPC's :D

Last edited:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm playing the bg enhanced edition trilogy beta release now (and finally slogging through sod), but will try pillars again (I finished once back on version 1.x) to see how it's improved, and try out the white march content. I didn't find the story at all exciting the first time (unlike roguey, I felt I had zero motivation after the first little bit... and my reactions to the dream/memories I was having was mostly 'eh whatever... that was someone else so I'm not bothered by it.' where clearly the writers wanted something else).

Anyway, glad to finally see the roguey take, even if I don't agree on all points based on my earlier play-through.

Prime Junta

:salute:

I just started a replay yesterday. I was finally sort-of-kind-of burned out on it when WM2 came out and never managed to get around to playing it, nor did I finish Crägholdt Bluffs. Nor did I do the Keep quest. So those are my priorities right now. We'll see if I can get into the groove enough to do those or if I have to take a longer break before getting back to it.

It's interesting how the game has evolved since 2.x. Some early throwaway items are no longer throwaway (Hermit's Cap, w00t!), there's a thematically-appropriate Soulbound sceptre early on (gave it to Aloth although I'm playing as a priest so I could've used it myself, but I'm a front-line priest so no), and there are other similar little changes here and there. Also loading times are a lot shorter than I remember them.

And ... you know, yeah, it's still fun. I dialed it down to Hard this time because I don't feel up to dealing with all the mobs in PotD. It's really... not, but it's not so easy the game plays itself either.

From what I know Obsidian uses their own software for dialogue branches. Playing Arcanum right now and it shows that Obsidian dialogue is superior because you can use your stats to influence the outcome. In Arcanum, sometimes you have a lot lesser options in dialogue VS Pillars, my biggest complains in Pillars are:
- not taking full advantage of the day and night cycle ( people don't seem to have their own agenda );
- I don't like that we can't pick pocket anybody;
- 6 players are to much for what goes on in the current perspective, 4 is better, but do have the option to only recruit 4 so scratch that :D.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
End of an era, Roguey finally talking about PoE from experience. I have to admit, much like the Chris Avellone novella, I thought it would never happen.

Anyway, pretty interesting to read.:salute: I would have liked to read more on your thoughts of the story and its shortcomings and successes though, you barely mention it.

I'm playing it again before Tyranny hits along with Age of Decadence, and it's just fun, a lot of fun. I'm also appreciating more the scope they managed to achieve with the game in comparison to Baldur's Gate 1. BG always felt huge, with all those big wilderness areas where you felt that you were really making the journey instead of going area to area, and the city being 8 considerably big districts, but after playing it again this summer, it's mostly in service of nothing. It's extremely padded, with a lot of asset reuse and similar areas, and the quests and dungeons are as simple as they get. While Pillars doesn't feel as interconected and huge as Baldur's Gate, all the areas feel a lot more unique, both visually and in terms of content, and it still managed to be as long or even longer.

Honestly, as much as I'm very excited for Torment or Tyranny, I just want more Pillars. I'm really hoping that they'll announce the sequel a few weeks after Tyranny releases.

Hyperion

Arcane
Despite building as passively as possible, it still has a bit of a per-encounter problem

Interesting, I always felt a lot of classes weren't given enough Per Encounter abilities. Are you not a big fan of the RTwP system whole, or can't be bothered with pausing and assigning attacks?

it's unfortunate there's an audience out there who seemingly won't be satisfied with anything less than Full-Minsc

This always ruffled my feathers. I never understood the love people have for Minsc outside of his obscene Strength value (18/93?). PoE2 will unfortunately have more, and not less of companions like him. On that end, how did you feel about companions not really offering much antagonism outside of 1 or 2 lines in protest? It's a complaint I've seen here as well, but never understood it since you have full party creation to bypass the loss anyway.

6 players are to much for what goes on in the current perspective, 4 is better, but do have the option to only recruit 4 so scratch that

I always felt 6 wasn't enough and would have loved 7 or maybe 8....

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(possibly intentionally) spreading his girlfriend's pro-Israel beliefs.

lol, that's a stretch.

If I should replay Pillars in the future, I plan to do almost nothing but critical path content, the megadungeon, and the bounties.

How about importing that German GOTY edition that includes The White March along with your Tyranny box?

Also loading times are a lot shorter than I remember them.

That might not last as you continue.

Prime Junta

In re the humour, I thought the best bits were in the banter between the companions. Edér insisting on petting Itumaak and getting his hand near bit off, Hiravias being curious about Pallegina's tailfeathers and trading hunting stories with Sagani, Aloth and Edér putting down Durance, Durance ... being Durance, that sort of thing.

Also if Pillars 2 has a Minsc stand-in, I'm going personally go Molotov cocktail the Obsidian offices.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Loading times did get a bit longer by act 3 when the save file bloated to 3-4+ mb. I have a SSD so it still wasn't that big of an issue for me.

How about importing that German GOTY edition that includes The White March along with your Tyranny box?

If I can't get it from a retailer who sells through Amazon, I won't bother. That's more likely to happen with Tyranny given there's a Brit version.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Interesting, I always felt a lot of classes weren't given enough Per Encounter abilities. Are you not a big fan of the RTwP system whole, or can't be bothered with pausing and assigning attacks?

I'd prefer to not feel the need to micromanage a bunch of characters in every fight, though micromanaging one is fine. If I did create builds with more active abilities, I'd turn the AI on and play it more like Dragon Age: Origins, but I didn't want to do that my first time through (though I ended up needing to with GM).

On that end, how did you feel about companions not really offering much antagonism outside of 1 or 2 lines in protest? It's a complaint I've seen here as well, but never understood it since you have full party creation to bypass the loss anyway.

I can understand Sawyer's reasons for not wanting to annoy players like Bioware tends to do. Thaos lampshades it.

M31A1z7.jpg

Prime Junta

BTW Roguey, if you're considering spending more time with it, I highly recommend doing a power build around a specific item or items. I'm still quite proud of my Darcozzi Commander paladin, built around the St. Garam's Spark pistol -- it's a Marking weapon that you can get very early on. Hunting after those items and building up the right mix of talents, abilities, and spells is very rewarding.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Prime Junta

As an aside, I didn't catch a pro-Israel vibe from Pallegina, and I'm kinda hyper-sensitive to that, being married to a Palestinian and all.

Prime Junta

Did the stronghold quest thingy. Wasn't much, but it was better than nothing; between that and the little stories that come with the adventures there, it does feel more a part of the game than an oh-shit-we-gotta-do-this-stretch-goal outgrowth it did before.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'll stick with the far more prestigious Vancian casters (and ignore the comparably-micro-heavy monk).
Monk really isn't that micro-heavy, it depends on which way you take him. You can go the passive damage route where your only active is refreshing attack speed buff and the occasional crowd control.

When I played monk I went the way of Torment's Reach and yeah that line is kinda spammy. More active melee builds don't really go well with the fast RTWP of PoE.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As an aside, I didn't catch a pro-Israel vibe from Pallegina, and I'm kinda hyper-sensitive to that, being married to a Palestinian and all.

I was referring to the line about orlans fighting dirty to preserve their home and culture because they're up against enemies twice their size. Not being completely serious. :M

Fever

Educated
Nice read. I'm sorry to come out as a stranger, but why no White Marches? Those were the zenith of the game for me.
Better itemization (soulbound, charged), narrative (motive in action), scripted interactions (many hits but also few big misses there), side quests, reactivity to MC and two of the best companions (Zahua and Devil) are all hidden there.

2house2fly

Magister
Hey I think that Boy Named Sue comment was me. I got in the review!

Pretty good take,i agree that it's not as dry as people often make out- a few lines you quoted actually came close to Bioware levels of forced wackiness for me. There's one character in the expansion who I thought balanced humor with more in-depth content very well, and another who really didn't. Speaking of which, since you enjoyed the game overall you'd probably get your money's worth out of the expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom