Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
Wow, Hel. Get it? It's like Hell, but without the l.
So original.

Sizzle

Arcane
Yes, I know, the game constantly contradicts itself on that. Them granting you levitation is also one such thing.

That wasn't levitation per se, that was them encouraging the souls of their followers in Sun in Shadow to cushion your fall.

2house2fly

Magister
Hel is mentioned in the PoE guidebook...in a description of Saint Waidwen.

There's also a Hel's Gate Citadel.
When you first meet Pallegina iirc there's that short quest with the trading company guy you can kill or save, and she says something like only you can save him from Hel

2house2fly

Magister

Fry

Arcane
That's certainly Eothas' sigil which would correspond with the Greek titan Helios (linked to the sun), but I doubt the quote is suggesting Eothas' fire is being quenched.

Sentinel

Arcane
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I know that the word Hell comes from Hel by the germanic roots of old english.
I defend that, according to Eothas portfolio (and PoE's lore which doesn't feature, afaik, some sort of Hell), the word Hel heres refers to the sun. Eothas has been shut down, he has imperium over light, he probably has the ability to cast a shadow on some piece of land, let's say an archipelago. Hence the quote.

And I only defend this idea because it'll piss TheSentinel off.

Sentinel

Arcane
I know that the word Hell comes from Hel by the germanic roots of old english.
I defend that, according to Eothas portfolio (and PoE's lore which doesn't feature, afaik, some sort of Hell), the word Hel heres refers to the sun. Eothas has been shut down, he has imperium over light, he probably has the ability to cast a shadow on some piece of land, let's say an archipelago. Hence the quote.

And I only defend this idea because it'll piss TheSentinel off.
I'm not talking about the word itself, I'm talking about the meaning of the word. There's no fucking difference. The word "Hell" might have originated from german barbarians, but the idea behind it is much older.
By the way, if you want to piss me off, you're not going to accomplish it by posting theories about PoE2. I'd suggest showing me articles about arab shitskins in europe instead.

2house2fly

Magister
From when Pallegina refers to it in the game it seems "Hel" refers to some kind of... like... afterlife, but a bad afterlife. Not unlike the ancient Greek concept of Tartarus.

Sizzle

Arcane
From when Pallegina refers to it in the game it seems "Hel" refers to some kind of... like... afterlife, but a bad afterlife. Not unlike the ancient Greek concept of Tartarus.

But in the context of Eora as a setting, where souls constantly reincarnate - and everyone knows this - why would there even be a word for a bad afterlife, or an afterlife at all?

The only time when souls aren't reincarnating (or forming ghosts, or whatever) is when they are disintegrated over time by Rymrgand, the god of entropy, but then they simply cease to exist at all.

Prime Junta

But in the context of Eora as a setting, where souls constantly reincarnate - and everyone knows this - why would there even be a word for a bad afterlife, or an afterlife at all?

Hindus believe in reincarnation and they have hell realms.

I don't remember if the afterlife has been discussed in detail in Pillars canon, other than that time can pass between death and reincarnation and the soul spends it on the other side, sometimes travelling through divine realms (this was in one of the KS updates).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, there's no sense in having a hell-like afterlife in PoE, it's more a Hindu interpretation, where souls reincarnate endlessly until they find a way to reach Enlightenment and become one with the deity.

EDIT: Huh, didn't know about those hells in Hinduism that Prime Junta linked. Interesting.

Fry

Arcane
Sawyer speaks...

Screen_Shot_2017_01_25_at_12_19_04_PM.png

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
  1. What are your predictions for PoE2 stretch goals ?
  2. Will Xaurips return?

Hopefuly stronghold is dead and gone. Or at least it is more of BG2 type of stronghold which is entirely about quests and very minor stuff rather than management of villa.

I'd rather see actual content. More NPCs to hire, more classes, special classes, more cities to explore, etc.

This should be their BG2 moment where they have more people, experience, engine and money to make it happen (and reap rewards).

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
- Eothas is found in Deadfire Archipelago.
- The Watcher travels from Twin Elms to the Vailian Republics to buy a ship to DA.
- Watcher is enslaved on Vailian Republics.
- Watcher is free.
- A whole pirate island becomes the new stronghold.
- Eothas is the new companion.
- People are angry.
- War -> PoE3

Hel? I didn't think Eora had that concept.

Also getting Eothas feel from this. And twitter says "Return", which might just mean that PoE returns or could refer in some capacity to Eothas.

Eothas returning for vengeance as a pissed-off God gone rogue?

Maybe he's a companion? :M

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom