Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tigranes

Arcane
I recommend quitting the thread and playing something else instead of continuing to torture yourself for some rstrange reason

Shadenuat

Arcane
You know it's midnight when you get 7+ alerts from Orma
Like a well crafted clock.

Codex Achievement Unlocked: Everything is Shit - get your post shitted on by both orma & bonerbill

tripleshit - also by any user with "edgy" tag; still slav barbarian - get BAD SPELLING from Rean too

quadriple shit - etc.

I didn't get so much attention before I began discussing Obsidian games again, I gotta do it more often.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Why are we talking about avoiding rest spamming again? Isn't this issue solved already by doing away with per rest abilities? What am I missing?

I despair when hearing about respawning monsters to fight against backtracking. That's a terrible design choice to solve a non-existent problem. Well, respawning monsters are a terrible design choice in all cases, but anyway.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
There are no dungeons. Love it or hate it, they chose to fill the world with dozens of unique locations like New Vegas/SoZ, rather than several large dungeons like IWD.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The problem isn't F:NV-like structure, I think everyone agrees that it's a perfect blueprint for this sort of game. The problem is that they failed to replicate that structure because the main quest is so disjonted from the rest of the game. There's hardly a reason to replay this game for the sake of trying a different narrative, because it all amounts to a singular decision of who to support before the final mission. You can just reload and see different outcomes.

frajaq

Erudite
so most of the writing and characters are shit, but what are the exceptions?

I thought Serafen was actually well-written and had decent voice acting, he was a good companion for the setting
I also enjoyed the almost-psychopath Secretary Atsura from RDC quests, the careful way he speaks and how he tries to convince the PC to do accept his views
Everything about Fort Deadlight was really well done too, from quests, voice-acting and exploration

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Everything about Fort Deadlight was really well done too, from quests, voice-acting and exploration

The sidequests in this game feel very well designed. I'm constantly surprised by how many ways there are to complete objectives, and how consequential dialogue options feel. Completing a quest peacefully isn't just a matter of having the right skill and pushing a win button.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Fort Deadlight should be the standard for side quest design for any future RPG, whether made by Obsidian or not.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Whatever the title, I don't know much about their process. also, the DLC has been in development stil in Sawyer's time as "Game Director"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There are no dungeons. Love it or hate it, they chose to fill the world with dozens of unique locations like New Vegas/SoZ, rather than several large dungeons like IWD.
New Vegas had dungeons: the vaults, some large buildings, and a few caves and mines of decent size. :)

2house2fly

Magister
Who is lead developer on the paid DLC? I know it's not Josh sawyer.
Brandon Adler. I have no context for what a game by him will be like, but he posts here so he'll probably want to make gigantic dungeons full of trash encounters and add some prebuffing spells

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's no need for prebuffing spells, food + inn bonus + prostitute bonus is enough. There's also no need for gigantic dungeons, just ones that aren't 2 rooms.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
speaking of food/inn/hoe bonuses, does anyone else also feel like they disappear kinda randomly when you zone a lot

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've noticed they disappear randomly when I take the ship for a spin, but injuries don't. I haven't noticed them disappearing when zoning in the same general area, like Neketaka.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
You can keep your Rest bonuses forever, as long as you don't search a village/tower ruin/tomb/shipwreck for hours/days or otherwise engage in time-passing CYOA

(though sometimes I did get away with the first item of the village, ie 2 hours)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've played around 30 hours so far, I'm still at level 9 and I am very pleasantly surprised by the Veteran/scale only upwards composition of encounters in Poko Kohara. Combat requires thinking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom