Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What's the difference.
I'm not playing the EE either :D The difference is in the context.

Deadfire dungeons are just a room or two.
Some, though not all of them are. This is what I am saying - you can't expect every dungeon to be something on the level of the ones I already cited above.

You will spend maybe an hour or two in biggest of them all.
That's mostly due to the injuries/resting/memorization/health regen mechanics being completely different.

Judging the quality of a dungeon by how much time you spent in it is a shitty metric.

What I have issue with is the amount of time that a combat encounter tends to last, but that's a different subject.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Judging the quality of a dungeon by how much time you spent in it is a shitty metric.
No. Dungeons must be big.

That's mostly due to the injuries/resting/memorization/health regen mechanics being completely different.
Dude many of them are literally like 2 rooms.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
And Underdork of course.
BG2 had the underdark
How is Underdark a dungeon? It's a hub with 3 unlinked, 1-map adventures.

also speaking of IWD, one of my fondest RPG experiences ever is getting my barb hit by a histachii in the middle of dragon's eye 2nd level and realising that i've run out of disease cures - so i could only go forth and destroy because resting or going back would mean deff

what happened next was a frantic push forward as that fucker kept getting plinked for -1 until he finally bit the dirt right after i killed yxunomei, in a majestic display of "mission accomplished, off to valhalla"

this would never happen in a moderntard game

Sure it can, you just have to larp it up, like you did in IWD, by pretending you can't backtrack.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Cause it's Underdark. Is underground.

:shittydog:

I concider it a big hub of dungeons/dungeon like in blobbers. You have 1-2 safe spaces like the classic blobber "tavern", but rest is indeed dungeons and monsters are everywhere.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How is Underdark a dungeon? It's a hub with 3 unlinked, 1-map adventures.
I think I've been misunderstood. I am talking about dungeons which are remarkable. Dragon's eye has too little remarkable about it and too much padding. Vale of shadows too. Severed hand I rate much higher because it has its own story and its complex structure. And the important quality - you can actually get yourself lost in it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
you can actually get yourself lost in it.
Right.

Because it's not just 2 rooms. It's both big & has reasonably complex structure and some narrative.

Deadfire is mostly 1-2 rooms.

That is why,

dungeons must be big.

aknowledge this users agenda

Quillon

Arcane
also speaking of IWD, one of my fondest RPG experiences ever is getting my barb hit by a histachii in the middle of dragon's eye 2nd level and realising that i've run out of disease cures - so i could only go forth and destroy because resting or going back would mean deff

what happened next was a frantic push forward as that fucker kept getting plinked for -1 until he finally bit the dirt right after i killed yxunomei, in a majestic display of "mission accomplished, off to valhalla"

this would never happen in a moderntard game

and one of my fondest memories is playing football on the street while constantly getting interrupted by passing cars, in one occasion(picture a t junction) I hit the ball and it went into the front window of a taxi passing straight

what happened next was taxi stopped and the passenger was kind enough to give the ball back

this would never happen in a moderntard street, cos there ain't no kids playing football on them anymore

now even if I could play football on the street, it wouldn't be the same

times changed, kids changed, games changed so fuck your nostalgia :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Parabalus ,it is a dungeon,there is a more peaceful option or you could kill all the drows. It is like saying that archmage estate in PoE is not dungeon because you can finish it without a fight. In the underdark there is more content than most of PoE2.

AwesomeButton ,most dungeons are no bigger that two rooms. There are a few that are one room. This is not a dungeon,it is a fucking room! It is ok for dungeons to have different sizes,but one fucking room is no size at all!

You people just can't stop defending this flaming pile of shit. At least try to praise poe2's strong parts,instead of defending its factually bad parts.

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That picture up there just points out that those who wrote it dont understand things they are writing about, and have simply gone for a negative "extreme" because that supposedly creates emotional reactions in some audience.

Entropy is not a "destiny of all things", its a fundamental process that actually allows and creates or helps create all things.
Nihilism is not some kind of edgy philosophy, its not the "other way", its just stupidity, blindness and going for an easy path while not understanding how dumb and self defeating it is.

edit: Theres no fucking citation, because humans are generally too easily influenced by negativity and easily assume negativity out of everything, let alone out of such a process.
But you can cite me in the future.
Without entropy any "thing" would be unchangeable and eternal. As soon as you make some thing it would be indestructible - but that also means you couldn't really combine anything to create something, because everything would be completely static and unchangeable. Down to subatomic scale. And that means universe would still be clouds of helium atoms - only in fact, it would never get to the state of clouds of helium atoms at all, and there would be no time.
No stars, no planets, no chemistry - nothing. Just some kind of "energy" (only energy couldnt exist either) that is frozen solid and completely, absolutely unchangeable. Fo-evah - because there couldnt be any time at all.

And this is physically and scientifically undeniable - fact.

I know this is too much for most of you but you will get it all the same.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Ugh.... if it's a room, then it's not a dungeon you dolts.

Again, I am talking about comparing dungeons.

Shadenuat

Arcane

There's little to compare since PoE2 is Gullet + things that look more like cut content (like an area which consists mostly of friendly fire giants, 1 dragon and 3 drakes), while IE games had reasonably big dungeons.

There are some good locations like Nemnok's place and vampire island, but they're extremely streamlined and linear and can end after like 3 battles, depending on your actions. They're comparable to Arkemyr's manor in a sense.

One comparison we can make is observatory with Concelhaut and similar location in PoE1, the animancer's tower. In PoE1 it was graveyard + tombs + house or two, and about 3-4 levels of tower with dude on top.

In PoE2 it's 2 level tower (2 rooms) with dude on top. And that's high level content with a special quest and all the voice acting you can buy.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Parabalus ,it is a dungeon,there is a more peaceful option or you could kill all the drows. It is like saying that archmage estate in PoE is not dungeon because you can finish it without a fight. In the underdark there is more content than most of PoE2.

What you're posting makes no sense. Do you mean to say Ust Natha is a dungeon? That makes no sense either.

The Underdark is a central location with 4 adjacent areas, 3 of them being one-map dungeons and one populated area.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

There's little to compare since PoE2 is Gullet + things that look more like cut content (like an area which consists mostly of friendly fire giants, 1 dragon and 3 drakes), while IE games had reasonably big dungeons.
I PoE2 there are just two dungeons that remember being ok. The one is the city under the gulag,the other one is the catacombs under the death's temple. They both were very well made but lacked any real story and encounters behind them.
AwesomeButton ,you ask me what dungeons i remember fondly from other games,well ok here i come. From BG2 alone i remember the uderdark and the illithid dungeon,fishpeople dungeon and the drow city. I remember the vampire guild,shadow temple,De'Arnise keep,asylum and the dungeon that came with the tales of the sword coast. In BG most of the maps are dungeon like areas filled with enemy,quests and loot. IWD 1&2 are endless fighting in dungeons,you could say that the whole games are dungeons. From the first one i remember the underdark fondly.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh you know what was probably the best part of De'Arnise keep?

https://youtu.be/W80tmfVcQCo?t=822

11 - The De'Arnise Keep Besieged 13:00 12 - The De'Arnise Keep Saved 13:41

Once you conquered your own fortress, the music outside sorta welcomes you after your victory.

And it's not the only example, some bosses have little extra tracks and cough romances

PST had special tracks for all companions https://youtu.be/HCpk7HIryK0

It's one of those things where PoE I think just doesn't deliver.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
fishpeople dungeon

Oh yeah when they first showed us the Naga in PoE2 I was pumped up there was gonna be some huge underwater temple/city with their species architecture that we would have an adventure in it.

Ended up very disappointed...

Especially considered the marketing for the game made it seem like both they and the Fire Giants were going to be far more important (and common) enemies than they ended up being, with just a scant few appearances for both.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lacrymas The game have a lot more shit. Only good thing about is the looks and the gulag area with its connected dungeon. How many mods do you use? If the combat is that good why don't you play it vanilla?

I only have the xp reduction mod. Have you played the game on PotD? I know you've usually said you don't play games on the hardest difficulty.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
IWD dungeons are at least big enough for player to think about resources and feel the "depth" of dungeon adventuring.

Deadfire dungeons are just a room or two. You will spend maybe an hour or two in biggest of them all.
Deadfire: "What resources?"

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I always used to rest spam in IE games anyway. I think it took me 3 years of in-game time to finish them. Maybe the best solution would be: resting permanently reduces your experience to the tune of about 1 level :troll:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The solution is aggressive ambushes while you rest and not allowing any backtracking. The compromise for normies is always having an autosave before entering each dungeon.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lacrymas The game have a lot more shit. Only good thing about is the looks and the gulag area with its connected dungeon. How many mods do you use? If the combat is that good why don't you play it vanilla?

I only have the xp reduction mod. Have you played the game on PotD? I know you've usually said you don't play games on the hardest difficulty.
No i haven't played it on potd,played it on normal and veteran after level 8. You shouldn't judge the game only on the hardest difficulty,most people do play it on normal and don't care that if you put a bunch of mods and play it on difficulty that only combatfags play,the game's combat is passable.

If you have fun mate,well more power to you. I didn't managed to enjoy the game,maybe because i am a story fag and the writing is worst i have seen. Anyway,have fun with the game :salute:.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom