Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That sounds like extremely subjective, according to recent posts about people who tried out BG1 a few days ago.
Their first impressions usually boils down to how wilderness maps are unnecessarily big and empty.

The whole of BG1 is subjective in the sense that it's kind of different from what people are used to and have to get into the right mindset to enjoy it. Whining that the maps are too big and empty is missing the point, exactly like how "companions are too mute" is missing the point. The world isn't designed like a museum and a string of setpieces for us to go through. Every map has something to "do" in it and an adventure to tackle (except the xvart village, but it still has the bear attack and the swindler). If people think BG1's maps are too empty and the companions too mute, then they'll have an aneurysm from the old blobbers. BG1 is a good game and more games should try to emulate its structure, I replay it anually and it still hasn't lost its charm.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Oh then it's cool because I believe that
The whole of Deadfire is subjective in the sense that it's kind of different from what people are used to and have to get into the right mindset to enjoy it. Whining that the maps are too small and clustered is missing the point, exactly like how "sidekicks are too mute" is missing the point. The world isn't designed like a museum and a string of setpieces for us to go through. Every map has something to "do" in it and an adventure to tackle (except the fucking bounties, but they still have unique enemies and items). If people think Deadfire's maps are too clustered and the sidekicks too mute, then they'll have an aneurysm from Baldur's Gate dungeons (sorry, there's durlag's tower in the xpac)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Except it's not like that at all and you know it. It's exactly the opposite, the small maps and mute sidekicks don't add anything and is a consequence of the budget, rather than an intentional design choice.

Trashos

Arcane
To enlighten you Trashos, from what I've read, you're never too nice.

Lol. One could argue that I am being perfectly nice to Bioware (of back then). Although I am just being fair.

With the exception of writing, it's always been the case.

Kinda. New Vegas was impressive. Although yeah, the engine was handed to them. Still, I was impressed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Says the dude who hasn't played the game ?

The difference is that BG1 is a classic that will be replayed for as long as computers can run it, and it has proven itself to be like that, PoE1 and 2 won't be. I have enough experience to vaguely construct an image of what DF is like, so there's no need for me to play it to know what it kinda is. The beta also gave me a fairly accurate impression, I said that the maps are going to be small even then.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
The difference is that BG1 is a classic that will be replayed for as long as computers can run it, and it has proven itself to be like that, PoE1 and 2 won't be. I have enough experience to vaguely construct an image of what DF is like, so there's no need for me to play it to know what it kinda is.
lol alright

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Says the dude who hasn't played the game ?

The difference is that BG1 is a classic that will be replayed for as long as computers can run it, and it has proven itself to be like that, PoE1 and 2 won't be. I have enough experience to vaguely construct an image of what DF is like, so there's no need for me to play it to know what it kinda is. The beta also gave me a fairly accurate impression, I said that the maps are going to be small even then.

Maybe you should start playing the game before making a lot of vague assumptions about what you've played in the beta, at least I cry because I played through the whole game and know what it's main issues are, but you just cry for the sake of crying and hope someone agrees with you. Play the damn game and then you can come here and cry like a proper man.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Where are you people seeing criticisms? Or at least specific ones? I just said that the mute sidekicks have even less content than what BG1 offered and said BG1 had huge maps and 25 companions, something that Obsidian struggles with. Not my fault that the defense brigade came rushing to the rescue of the poor DF.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
True and IE games are RTS derivative hack & slash.

Which makes PoE as derivative as Overwatch.

Sure, why not.

Maybe you should start playing the game before making a lot of vague assumptions about what you've played in the beta, at least I cry because I played through the whole game and know what it's main issues are, but you just cry for the sake of crying and hope someone agrees with you. Play the damn game and then you can come here and cry like a proper man.

Nah, I value my time more than that, I'll wait for the patches. I'm not crying, you are confusing things. The assumptions aren't vague, they turned out to be quite accurate.

You value your time by posting vague shit about what you've played in the beta instead of actually playing the game, damn I wish I could save time like you do:lol:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Where are you people seeing criticisms? Or at least specific ones? I just said that the mute sidekicks have even less content than what BG1 offered and said BG1 had huge maps and 25 companions, something that Obsidian struggles with.

The game is better than first one. I would say companions are the most major flaw in both writing and the setting which is a bit funny, if you take sidekicks and adventures the game feels better. Also I thought you played only with hired adventurers and not companions.

Fairfax

Arcane
Bioware never made anything even remotely close to New Vegas or Alpha Protocol in terms of being a RPG or fun.

IE games are probably the most overrated adventure games of all time.
I meant the talent and technical aspects, not the games in general.

BioWare (until 2011) was consistently above Obsidian in programming, art, sound, music, toolsets, graphics, QA, UIs, and so on. They only had worse writing, and even that wasn't always the case.

FreeKaner

BioWare (until 2011) was consistently above Obsidian in programming, art, sound, music, toolsets, graphics, QA, UIs, and so on. They only had worse writing, and even that wasn't always the case.

That's correct, Bioware came to be a bigger studio though and basically after EA acquired them they had AAA funds to make their games. This includes both Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Now one could argue that Obsidian could do the same if they didn't burn so many bridges, that would also be correct and relevations from MCA makes it clear Obsidian was not only wasted potential it also sabotaged itself and many developers.

Still, I'd take New Vegas over anything Bioware put out.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Because they have more personality than the hired adventurers, that's all. I don't mind the hired adventurers either way, but they feel faceless and voiceless.

FreeKaner

I think there should have been more sidekicks too, with a bit more fluff to them. They might keep adding them though if this FLC they put out is any example, it probably doesn't take much effort or resources to make hired adventurers with background and character. It's a shame however the ones in the game are completely mute, they could add at least 2-3 questions and answers to flesh them out.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Except it's not like that at all and you know it. It's exactly the opposite, the small maps and mute sidekicks don't add anything and is a consequence of the budget, rather than an intentional design choice.

The big problem is: sidekicks are useless and meaningless if you can just get a hired adventure that does exactly the same (and you can choose the atributes).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I have enough experience to vaguely construct an image of what DF is like, so there's no need for me to play it to know what it kinda is.

Translation from delusional to reality - he searches internet cherrypicking opinions that confirm his specific assumptions while ignoring all the others, and then he sucks his own dick in a self congratulatory celebration of how brilliantly he predicted the state of the game without playing it.

:excellent:

Fairfax

Arcane

That's correct, Bioware came to be a bigger studio though and basically after EA acquired them they had AAA funds to make their games. This includes both Mass Effect and Dragon Age.
It was still the case with independent BioWare. Also, ME1 was made before they were bought by EA, and most of DA:O was developed before that as well.

Now one could argue that Obsidian could do the same if they didn't burn so many bridges, that would also be correct and relevations from MCA makes it clear Obsidian was not only wasted potential it also sabotaged itself and many developers.
It's not like the burned bridges were external factors, these things happened due to Obsidian's upper management. The BioWare docs were leagues above them in every way, so their studio was always going to do better. Not to mention Obsidian wouldn't exist without BioWare.

Still, I'd take New Vegas over anything Bioware put out.
That's a different subject. Most of the Codex would take BG2 over any Obsidian game. :M

FreeKaner

It's not like the burned bridges were external factors, these things happened due to Obsidian's upper management. The BioWare docs were leagues above them in every way, so their studio was always going to do better. Not to mention Obsidian wouldn't exist without BioWare.

I didn't say anything contrary to this.

According to codex DOS2 is a good game and Dark Souls is a RPG, it doesn't hold much sway.

Fairfax

Arcane
I didn't say anything contrary to this.
You said Obsidian could've done the same if they hadn't burned bridges. The burned bridges and wasted opportunities are an inherent part of why they couldn't, not setbacks they could've avoided (assuming the same talent and management).

According to codex DOS2 is a good game and Dark Souls is a RPG, it doesn't hold much sway.
Codex polls and rankings are worthless now, but that's a (decent) list from 2014.

Anyway, FNV and BG2 are too different for an interesting comparison. PoE2 was supposed to be Obsidian's BG2, but they're not even close.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom