Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
perma-level drain
No such thing in BG too. When temples on every step and half of the party members are clerics it's just minor inconvenience.

But if you get your levels or stats drained below 0 you die even with full HP. In PoE your HP bar emptying doesn't even kill you.

Selective reddit and SA forums cherrypicking from josh is the fault for that.

Reinhardt

Arcane
But if you get your levels or stats drained below 0 you die even with full HP. In PoE your HP bar emptying doesn't even kill you.
But you get spell that completely counters it right from the start. It's lvl 4 cleric spell. Even Aerie knows it already iirc.

Malpercio

Arcane
Another lul thing right now in POE2: summons are extended by Int. Hello, 50 sec Shades who summon Shadows either on kill or just so...

Those things have Veil so all non rifle damage gets -50% to it and they clear encounters all alone.
Oh yeah, summons are definitely super strong. That and charm. I'm kinda amazed how many things you can actually charm in this game.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
But you get spell that completely counters it right from the start. It's lvl 4 cleric spell. Even Aerie knows it already iirc.

Yeah if you plan ahead, play cautiously, explore your full spell/ability list, etc. Failing to prepare the correct counter for each situation will lead to a quick game over. In PoE I can just bumble through every fight without much thought.

Shadenuat

Arcane
But you can't always protect everyone and you have to prepare it before battle, and it's duration is just about 30 secs. Which means you either know you will face vampires, or you scout ahead, and then prepare. Which means you use spell slots for that, and not anything else.

And then you have to put characters with this protection in front. And you also should make sure they won't get charmed. And paralyzed too I think.

Does everyone follow me here? Do you now understand the difference between this and what we get from modern RPGs? Even without vancian system properly working, it's at least minimal levels of strategy (preparation) required before approaching an encounter.

Irenicus dungeon for example.
Don't remember anything draining your levels here.
Le fuck, there are 2 vampire fights there bruh + I think some draining invisible ghosts including shadows from portal.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Le fuck, there are 2 vampire fights there bruh + I think some draining ghosts including shadows from portal.
Oh, that thing killing thieves. She's aggro?
Oh, I meant the second one (Spellhold).

But yeah, the vampire in prologue actually aggroes on you I think if she deals with thieves. Dunremember.

There is nothing good on lvl 4 anyway, so i just fill all slots with protections.
Protection from evil, Death ward, Defensive harmony, Mental domination, Free Action, and yes, NPM. Even when fighting vampires you want something else but NPM too.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
The point that was made above is that you have to design your party and tactics around this threat. Like you have to do with many other threats in BG2. Like you don't have to do in certain other games.

Reinhardt

Arcane
You just can use amulet of power or mace and just kill all vampires. It's not like they can do anything to you without mods if you immune.

Trashos

Arcane
You just can use amulet of power or mace and just kill all vampires. It's not like they can do anything to you without mods if you immune.

All right, sure. You get the right gear. You get the right spell protections (when against vampire mages or when you don't have the gear) and general pre-buffing. You face them. If you are stronger, you beat them.

The relative process in certain other games: you beat them.

Do you understand the difference?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Illithids are a difficulty wall that present unique challenges. So are beholders (if you missed the shield/cloak), dragons, most mages, etc. Nothing like that in PoE. Is there one type of super-dangerous enemy that relies on a single easily-missed accessory to defeat it? Nope.

I recall a friend calling me up at night asking, "How do I beat the wizard in the Planar Sphere?" I asked if he had Jaheira and told him to try Insect swarm. Did the trick. Never have that happen anymore with modern games.

Shit if you don't have +3 weapons the demons outside the sphere are unkillable. Again, nothing like this in PoE. Of course everyone here knows modern games are piss easy but relying on historical revisionism to say all games are equally easy is simply absurd.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's true that great many games skip premeditation. Pre-buffing aside (which is a chore), there aren't enough games that need key items and knowledge to beat encounters. Especially in RPGs which should be one genre that excels at this.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
fI1Kpkc.jpg

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't think 100% lock&key design is required, but it's something that can be worked on. PoE1 WM PoTD had an ice dragon with absurd ice attacks. You could beat it without particular items, but dealing with him with Zahua with flaming fist abilities & using protections helped greatly. There were similar encounters there, like golems with strong acid attacks.

PoE2 instead of expanding on this, lowered the bar tremendously. I'd say game right now doesn't have even Adra Dragon level mob.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Illithids are a difficulty wall that present unique challenges. So are beholders (if you missed the shield/cloak), dragons, most mages, etc. Nothing like that in PoE. Is there one type of super-dangerous enemy that relies on a single easily-missed accessory to defeat it? Nope.
Illitihds - yes. Here i agree. Hate them with passion to this day. Beholders - to some degree. All other things are not that scary. When i first played BG2 i just killed Firkraag in melee. First try. Well, i was cavalier, but still.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom