Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Pizzashoes

Scholar
The Huana have made it illegal for natives to be enslaved. This keeps the Rauataians and Vailians from openly abusing the natives. The Slaver ships you see are lawfully transporting slaves in from outside the Deadfire.

It would be cool to buy some slaves and have them be deckhands. Then you wouldn't have to pay those layabouts one whole copper piece a day.

Parabalus

Arcane
The setting and historical period would've/should've produced great roleplaying opportunities, maybe even unique ones in the RPG sphere. Where is my C&C, reactivity and roleplaying potential, Obsidian?

All they had to do was to NOT make the game a direct sequel, remove all the Eothas and statue in it. Just an adventure in deadfire tied to factions and adra, New Vegas style. Hell, even Shadowrun concept would be fit with factions and missions, with a personal story to follow meanwhile. I imagine they could have done better if they didn't waste resources and time on all the save game transfer and Eothas sequences. The game comes off as weak whenever Gods and philosophy is involved anyhow while its strongest suit is the struggles on the ground.

I'd bet money on Feargus pushing for the big fat statue, that's why they implemented it so half-assedly, in that it's a big ticking clock (he wants to destroy the worlds fundamental rules!) and still entirely ignorable.

Have Eothas in a smaller body or him/other gods activating his/their
godlike sleeper agents (that's a pretty cool concept IMO)
instead, you could still maintain the story, even with a different watcher, without any of the awkwardness.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
The Huana have made it illegal for natives to be enslaved. This keeps the Rauataians and Vailians from openly abusing the natives. The Slaver ships you see are lawfully transporting slaves in from outside the Deadfire.

It would be cool to buy some slaves and have them be deckhands. Then you wouldn't have to pay those layabouts one whole copper piece a day.
Don't forget that slavery was expensive shit back in days and slaves need someone, who would watch over them (and this guy need to be paid).

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
They could have made it like Expeditions:Conquistador, there slave retinue is cheaper but more likely to mutiny and be nuisance in general. Really, in general they could have adopted and iterated on a lot of things from Expeditions:Conquistador, that game did so many things right.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What the fuck happened with Aloth's quest? You barely do anything and it just ends.
Like any other companion quest. It was amusing when entered with shark boy in the smugglers cave and saw the quest complete marker at the top right,it was amusing because i didn't even started his quests. For a long time i thought that his quest would have been to find the fourth form of water bending....sadly it is a cut content.

2house2fly

Magister
Originally I would have said it's good to make it a direct sequel because the Watcher is privy to the most closely guarded secret in the world, a conspiracy that literally goes right to the top. It hasn't even come up in what I've played of 2 though(except as a dialogue option when talking to the Spindle Man) and the hints to the ending from what I've seen of people talking about it suggest that it will come up again, but in such a way that a new character wouldn't really need to know it before that point. I'll have to see the ending for myself to know for sure, but it could even be enhanced by being a different character; there could be a knowledge gap between the player and the player character that could feel pretty cool

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sea shanties are just a wasted opportunity even if they do play. It plays too quiet to really be enjoyed over the enviromental sounds heard while swimming. They should be playing while you're on land as well. Overall audio is by far the weakest par of the game and somebody needs to get a kick in the nuts for fucking it up so badly.

BAh!
You have a developer tag?
Who the fuck was so out of touch to bring you aboard any game project?

Experienced professionals who know a real talent when they see it.

Founder?
What did you help establish?
463a01153c29aea2df616afd0f54ac7e94fcb5fb.jpg

Parabalus

Arcane
What the fuck happened with Aloth's quest? You barely do anything and it just ends.
Like any other companion quest. It was amusing when entered with shark boy in the smugglers cave and saw the quest complete marker at the top right,it was amusing because i didn't even started his quests. For a long time i thought that his quest would have been to find the fourth form of water bending....sadly it is a cut content.

You find it at the end, on the weather console. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So I played for more 4 hours today and found Xoti (she was not in Port Maje, but in Gaun temple, in Neketaka) and Ydwin. A lot of bugs, like the ones I posted and one really bizarre:

Couple of minutes after I found Xoti, she started to talk about one day that she saw Eder sleeping and whatever. What? I just met you for the first time some minutes ago! What the hell you talking about? Jesus Christ, Obsidian! Better job in the world: Obsidian QA! You dont need to do anything!

That's weird as hell. First of all, I don't see why she wouldn't be at Port Maje. And second, I don't see why she'd spawn elsewhere if you didn't find her in Port Maje.

I dont have any idea. Someone in this thread told me she was in Port Maje, so I went there and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I did told you this,she was in my game. What was your Eder decision from the first game? Mine was that he refound his fate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Can you own a slave? Probably not, which is a shame. I still can't decide what my character's stance on slavery is, whether she is against it because she was a slave (and a priest of Skaen) or she thinks slaves deserve it unless they can free themselves somehow (because she's a priest of Skaen). Either way, I'd like to own a slave.
Yes you can own a slave,it is shame that couldn't change his name to FreeKaner.

Parabalus

Arcane
Originally I would have said it's good to make it a direct sequel because the Watcher is privy to the most closely guarded secret in the world, a conspiracy that literally goes right to the top. It hasn't even come up in what I've played of 2 though(except as a dialogue option when talking to the Spindle Man) and the hints to the ending from what I've seen of people talking about it suggest that it will come up again, but in such a way that a new character wouldn't really need to know it before that point. I'll have to see the ending for myself to know for sure, but it could even be enhanced by being a different character; there could be a knowledge gap between the player and the player character that could feel pretty cool

They could have made you another random watcher, with you finding the soul remnants of PoE1 watcher and learning everything from them. Easier for new players and doesn't change much for continuity, maybe some companion lines.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I'll have to see the ending for myself to know for sure, but it could even be enhanced by being a different character; there could be a knowledge gap between the player and the player character that could feel pretty cool
This kind of dramatic irony drives (dumb) people insane. There's even a whole stereotype about blacks yelling during horror movies because they can't control themselves.

While I agree that a thieving, backstabbing paladin is a really dumb concept, this thread the last few pages have come from this:
iw8yOqSl.jpg

to this:
QeRBSFQ.jpg

Not exactly an improvement.

As for the topic at hand - I'm playing the game on veteran and it's too easy, at least at the begining. I get that Soya-kun probably wanted to lure gamejournous and chivo-hunters to like the game, but they kinda screwed the pooch on that one. Also the game has the single most retarded beginning of all the later games. Pirates and colonialism and the big, mecha-like green god, which leaves giant footprints everywhere and recharges on adra pillars is a thematic mishmash akin to a holocaust comedy musical. Also Xoti is Imoen 0,5, complete with annoying voice and *the dreams*. Right now I'm at Neketaka, and stopped due to work deadline. Is the thread's consensus still that Neketaka is probably the best part of the game?

Game looks way prettier that PoE1, the combat is less clusterfuck-ey, but without experience and often without reward it's still dull. It's too fast-paced and easy to be strategic, and it couldn't hold a candle to BG2 even if tried. But it doesn't even trying. Still - better than the first one, but way less fun than, say, DOS2. For all its faults, DOS2's combat was pretty fun, and PoE2's still feels like a chore.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The setting and historical period would've/should've produced great roleplaying opportunities, maybe even unique ones in the RPG sphere. Where is my C&C, reactivity and roleplaying potential, Obsidian?

I agree, it's kind of hard to find those without actually launching the game. Not that nuances like that have ever stopped you from whining before.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Okay, time for my short verdict.
Game is great, but to fully enjoy it You must have around 3 up to 5 hours per 1 playing session.
POE2 has same 100% Baldur's / Icewind feeling, when all flaws go away in pure crpg greatness.
It will make You actually finish POE 1 and play classics on Infinity and similar again.
Much better story presentation ,pacing, gfx, interface upgrades than POE 1, world feeling similar to Fallout 1 or 2 without post-apo madness. Music is very good, you can keep or turn off , or customize level scaling, world is BIG and free to explore.
Just like good fantasy book, we all know it's a intelectual crap but keep reading becouse it's fun to the bone.
You will love it even if hate pirates or going through old gamer complex [''all cprgs sucks today i tell you" ].

PS. God , how great "classic" isometric games are, still after all that years they hold their ground
high with so much love to the genre.

:hypeship:FINAL SCORE: 3/3 :gangster:
[where: 1= waste of time , 2=worth of 2-6 hours per week, 3=better take 2 days off and tell your wife that you are ill and need time for yourself ]

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I find it eloquent that the deadliest high level enemies are vampires.
Because the real pain comes from your own charmed dudes.

Tune the monsters up Sawyer. Not only for potd, they cruelly lack punch.

Btw you can force the slave to work aboard your ship. You can even work for the dude who runs the operation. I assume it involves the broken natives however, so I suspect we wont know until the whole mess is patched up.

Also, I wouldn't be too quick to conclude on Xoti's character. Things can become weird depending on how you deal with her lantern thing.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
On another subject, I appreciate the few unmarked stuff in the game.
If someone could give me a hint about the sanguine harvest, I don't know where it takes place.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Couldn't bang shark-girl, because I kept losing points for her.
It's very easy actually. She was not in my party and i only bring her from the ship when i visited quest locations and always removed after this. It was enough for her to fall in love with muh gurl right after i finished her quest and got reward from superiors.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow, the sea shanties do exist. Just got one 40 hours in right after a failed mutiny.
Btw you can force the slave to work aboard your ship. You can even work for the dude who runs the operation. I assume it involves the broken natives however, so I suspect we wont know until the whole mess is patched up.
Worked fine for me.
Was also following the huana questline at the same time. You either kill the native leaders for the slavers or you kill the slavers for the natives.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Wow, the sea shanties do exist. Just got one 40 hours in right after a failed mutiny.
Worked fine for me.
Was also following the huana questline at the same time. You either kill the native leaders for the slavers or you kill the slavers for the natives.
I missed being Slaver since Fallout 2 :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom