Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You announce a game with a big synchronized media campaign, countdown website, etc, not to a few dozen neckbeards watching on Twitch. It is likely however that the announcement won't be too long after it.

Didn't Beamdog do this for SoD? :lol:

Well, you saw what happened to them! They did have a 12 day countdown on their website, though.

Sentinel

Arcane
You announce a game with a big synchronized media campaign, countdown website, etc, not to a few dozen neckbeards watching on Twitch. It is likely however that the announcement won't be too long after it.

Well, you saw what happened to them! They did have a 12 day countdown on their website, though.
Obsidian should look at Beamdog because they're going down the same path.

Sizzle

Arcane

PoE2 is a somewhat strange case, though, is it not?

It's already been kinda-sorta-but-not-really-for-realz announced, everyone knows that they are working on it, but almost nothing else - not even if it's going to be Kickstarted/Figed.

So it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they officially announced it on Twitch. Or at least confirm that a KS/Fig campaign is incoming, maybe even the exact date of it.

Ruchy

Scholar
It's possible that if the Leviathan is in the game, it will actually be an area that you walk around inside of.

I agree, this would be the best case scenario as attacking something so huge with but a sword would look and feel ridiculous.

Prime Junta

I'm getting a very mild Seven Voyages of Sinbad the Sailor vibe from this.

Hyperion

Arcane
Last two sound a lot like a Perception check, indeed. First two are probably combat quotes in reaction to getting hit, or a status affliction.

"Whit d'ye suppose dat is?"
My initial reaction was a Dwarf of some sorts. But Iselmyr is probably more likely.

Sizzle

Arcane
"Whit d'ye suppose dat is?"

Oh yeah, I recognize Iselmyr.

Assuming that is him, I really hope that won't be Aloth's entire shtick again, I though his particular conflict was settled in PoE1 no matter which option you choose.

And even if it is, it would be nice if they tied the personalities/histories of NPCs into gameplay in some way - such as, I don't know, giving Aloth a bonus to damage but a penalty to deflection whenever Iselmyr is in charge (because of her reckless nature), and a bonus to accuracy when Aloth is the one calling the shots, and making that a modal ability. Just little things like that to make the companions more interesting by giving them unique options the player doesn't have access to - this worked really well in games such as KoTOR2.

Prime Junta

"Whit d'ye suppose dat bally thing is?" Yeah Iselmyr. "That's unusual" is Aloth's bark for the same situation (spotting a hidden object).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Whit d'ye suppose dat bally thing is?" Yeah Iselmyr. "That's unusual" is Aloth's bark for the same situation (spotting a hidden object).

Ah, so these are the lines from PoE1? Oh well, at the very least this tells us he might be looking to revise them.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane

Ah, so these are the lines from PoE1? Well, at the very least this tells us he might be looking to revise them.

Does anyone here know how much (if at all) the NPC soundsets changed between BG1 and BG2?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Ah, so these are the lines from PoE1? Well, at the very least this tells us he might be looking to revise them.

Does anyone here know how much (if at all) the NPC soundsets changed between BG1 and BG2?

For returning characters? They're entirely different.

Sizzle

Arcane

For returning characters? They're entirely different.

Thanks. Played a lot more BG2 than I did BG1, so couldn't remember.

Keppo

Arbiter
I dont understand what they are making two similar franchise like Pillars and Tyranny. They should focus on PoE and something different, new, interesting. with guns. SCI-FI! TURN-BASED SCI-FI maybe

Xeon

Augur
In the new Dev commendatory video, Josh said Tyranny is Paradox's so they probably asked them as part of their partnership or something.

Sizzle

Arcane
They got the funds to make Tyranny from Paradox (PoE is Obsidian's, Paradox is only the publisher), which own it.

As Tyranny reused a lot of assets from PoE, it was probably made for significantly less money.

But yes, I agree that they probably should have done something else for Tyranny instead of fantasy yet again.

Quillon

Arcane
I dont understand what they are making two similar franchise like Pillars and Tyranny. They should focus on PoE and something different, new, interesting. with guns.

Yet they are still asking if we're interested in yet another fantasy RPG(pathfinder). I really hope Josh goes for 19th century America for his passion project if he gets to make it. 15th-16th century europe would be too similar to Pillars and 19th century america should be more commercially viable since I don't remember an RPG from that era, around civil war etc.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

Thanks for posting these Twitch streams. I just finished watching one from PAX 2015 I found on the forum and lots of stuff in the video I didn't know about. Multi-class characters for POE2 is crazy! The depth of just one class in POE is boggling enough. Having sub-areas not loading is a good idea too (sorry, the PAX video still on my mind). Looking forward to watching these and catching up before the last one on the 18th.

If anyone knows other POE threads I can use Watch Thread on that has information about the game or future POE2 like this thread, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Randal

Fry

Arcane
It's like watching a virgin accidentally wander into a biker convention.

Run. Run while you still can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom