Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'd rather they start us over from lvl 1, to be honest. New character, no need to continue the first one's lame story, and maybe they can figure out better level progression so things aren't silly by the low teens.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd rather they start us over from lvl 1, to be honest. New character, no need to continue the first one's lame story, and maybe they can figure out better level progression so things aren't silly by the low teens.
Agree. I'd rather have them flatten the power curve a bit. Way too much magic and special abilities flying around.
But I don't have my hopes too high.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Yeah I like starting from level 1 that's why I prefer the first baldurs gate. I just hope they keep the rule set pretty much as is because it's easy to understand. I think the side quests can use a lot more depth. Only took like 15 minutes to do the Knights questline. Also I think underground cities would be cool like Menzoberranzon. I'm into exploring caves so I hope we get a lot of those.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm still waiting for some RPG developer to do two things.

#1 - Create a "new" D&D style, consistent RPG mechanics/ruleset/system (and world). Use this system from game to game within the series/world you have built (even if you're creating a spin-off RPG).

#2 - Create a trilogy that tells one overarching story. You create a character at the start of the first game and the first game takes you from level 1-10. Game 2 picks up where the first left off and takes you from level 11-20, and game 3 from 21-30 (level cap), with the possibility of expansion built into this. So, essentially a Baldur's Gate style RPG except in a trilogy instead of 2 games.

Whoever does this will win at RPG development. At least with me. :)

Quillon

Arcane
Fuck lvls, I wouldn't care if we play the same Watcher at lvl1 again, what's important is story choices carrying over. Also if they want 5 different attributes in PoE2, there being save-import wouldn't stand in anyone's way.

And I'd rather a cataclysmic event happen between PoE 1 and 2 like doom of valyria, causes all magic leave Eora, ha.

Artyoan

Arbiter
What if the Watcher inherited Thaos' ability to return as the same man/woman and so a reset could occur of class/stats/level with the same mind/soul albeit in a new inexperienced body?

Or maybe the Watcher is killed and then Awakens in a new individual at level 1?

I'd personally rather go with a new player character entirely.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're all pansies.

Hint at what sort of sea monster one might encounter in the Deadfire Archipelago: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87059-josh-sawyer-pillars-of-eternity-2-tease-thread/?p=1872455

W4Um1r5.png

Quillon

Arcane
Oh noes, that means we won't start at lvl1 nor will we experience the rise to powa fantasy for the 567. time. Damn it.

And that would have to be... Adra-Kraken :P

Why in Deadfire tho?

Sannom

Augur
I think that's where the worst sea monsters dwell. As for what could eat a Kraken for breakfast, I think there was mention of a monster so massive it creates sinkholes just by coming up to the surface.

Sentinel

Arcane
These descriptions of mythological monsters are always cool to read because they get your imagination going, but then the in-game implementation is always fucking pathetic (unless your game is Dragon's Dogma).

Sizzle

Arcane
We're seeing mostly Eder from "the future". He''ll most likely be in the sequel but how? He's either dead or in a secret eothasian society or mayor of dyrford or in aedyr empire... would they canonicalize one of the latter 3? Or would they do a proper save import with all options viable and Eder could also be dead?

Save-import stuff became a nit-pick of mine... tho actually it should be a serious concern for everyone who played PoE and plans to play the sequel. Boo

When they were making all those epilogues (which they had to, players expect them in an Obsidian game) it was still uncertain if there was going to be a sequel.

But still, you can easily think of a good reason for Eder (along with Aloth and Pallegina, the only three companions we're pretty certain will return for PoE2) to leave the Dyrwood - it's not like he has fond memories of the place, or anything keeping him there.

Talking about save game imports, I don't expect much, but I would like them to acknowledge some choices that the player made (such as potentially meeting the Master Below if you've freed her, things like that) in PoE1.

Also, I wonder what the starting level for the sequel will be if you don't import your (TWM) save: lvl 12, or lvl 16?

Perkel

Arcane
These descriptions of mythological monsters are always cool to read because they get your imagination going, but then the in-game implementation is always fucking pathetic (unless your game is Dragon's Dogma).

or Monster Hunter (also made by capcom).

Part of reason why i love MH despite lack of proper story etc. is that it manages to convince me that dude can take some huuuge beast or monster. You get 50 minutes to take down monster and believe me sometimes 50minutes is really short amount of time.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Leviathan

Imagine the largest whale you have ever seen. The leviathan is at least ten times that size. By the time a ship sees a leviathan, it is already too late.
As they rise from the depths, the water around them begins to spin and sink, creating a whirlpool.
The leviathan's body surrounds the hapless vessel, preventing escape, and as it goes down, the enormous mouth opens, pulling all aboard to their watery deaths.

:vomit:

So unbalanced, so disgusting!

Imagine the largest whale you have ever seen. The leviathan is at least ten times that size.

Such size would make it way too easy to make the enemy get stuck on terrain and encourage degenerate gameplay tactics. Make it no bigger than thrice a regular NPC.

By the time a ship sees a leviathan, it is already too late.

Just no. Every encounter has to be defeatable on the first try. This kind of design forces you to resort to silly metagaming.

The leviathan's body surrounds the hapless vessel, preventing escape, and as it goes down, the enormous mouth opens, pulling all aboard to their watery deaths.

No, no, no. Instead, the Leviathan should inflict hobbled, weakened and paralyzed for 7,83 seconds. Binary and extreme effects are not fun.

:littlemissfun:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's possible that if the Leviathan is in the game, it will actually be an area that you walk around inside of.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Will KS campaign be announced on Wednesday ?
Why would it be announced on Wednesday?

That's when the final Sawyer PoE Director's Commentary Stream is, and it was said (I think, I haven't seen them all) that they have an announcement to make then.
Oh. Well I don't remember anything about any announcement being said, but I guess we'll see. Didn't even know there was another stream this wednesday.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Yes, it's just conjecture. But something important always happens on last occasion.

For example quote from Hobbit:
Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin’s Day will shine upon the key-hole.

So, for this event: ...on the last Pillars of Eternity Director's Commentary Stream, Josh Sawyer will announce the Grand Sequel.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You announce a game with a big synchronized media campaign, countdown website, etc, not to a few dozen neckbeards watching on Twitch. It is likely however that the announcement won't be too long after it.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You announce a game with a big synchronized media campaign, countdown website, etc, not to a few dozen neckbeards watching on Twitch. It is likely however that the announcement won't be too long after it.

Didn't Beamdog do this for SoD? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom