Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2 Pre-Announcement Thread

Sizzle

Arcane
I don't like idea of the same mc for PoE2. Too high levels after PoE+WM.

The game is almost certainly going to have the same PC - the epilogue confirms it, there's a character import save at the end of it, and they've been talking about plans to continue in the same BG saga vein when it comes to the main character.

But what worries me is - where do you go, power-wise, from having Mythic equipment? I know that only a couple of items are that powerful and that many other weapons and armor don't even have any Superb pieces, but you've already killed one of the most powerful beings on Eora, as well as several dragons and at least one archmage. So, barring getting into fisticuffs with a god - what else can the game throw at us that will still be a challenge? TWM was already approaching Throne of Bhaal levels of silliness with its mercenary army armed with exceptional armor and weapons.

And I really hope they won't resort to "You got captured/shipwrecked and all your equipment is lost" as a solution.

Sannom

Augur
besides teleporting, or a telepathic connection with the Keep, but there has to be a more elegant solution than that
I'm pretty sure the telepathic connection is already a thing, it's what enables you to give construction and hiring orders no matter where you are.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Greetings, Citizens of Eora,
Your Opinion Matters

We here on the Pillars team have been putting a lot of thought into the Collector’s Edition box we did for Pillars of Eternity (for no reason whatsoever, we assure you...). We liked it, but what if we did more? Maybe less? Not at all? Who’s to know?!

Actually, you are! You helped make Pillars of Eternity a reality, so we’d like to reach out to you and ask for your time to take this brief survey to let us know what you thought of the physical Collector’s Edition of Pillars of Eternity. You know, for reasons.

We Need Your Help
We’d also like, if you’re willing, to ask that you make a short video that expresses why you decided to be a Backer during the Project Eternity campaign, and what Pillars of Eternity has meant to you. We may use this footage down the road (again, those reasons) and because you made Pillars possible, we want you to be a part of its future.

If you’d like to submit a video, please send it to backer-videos@obsidian.net. It can be from your phone, a webcam, or something super fancy. It’s up to you! We’d like all video submissions to be 10-20 seconds long and need them by the end of this year. So you have until January 6th to get your video to us. We look forward to it!

Until another time, Watchers.
The Pillars Team
Removed the link to the survey, don't know if one should post it or not.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Greetings, Citizens of Eora,
Your Opinion Matters

We here on the Pillars team have been putting a lot of thought into the Collector’s Edition box we did for Pillars of Eternity (for no reason whatsoever, we assure you...). We liked it, but what if we did more? Maybe less? Not at all? Who’s to know?!

Actually, you are! You helped make Pillars of Eternity a reality, so we’d like to reach out to you and ask for your time to take this brief survey to let us know what you thought of the physical Collector’s Edition of Pillars of Eternity. You know, for reasons.

We Need Your Help
We’d also like, if you’re willing, to ask that you make a short video that expresses why you decided to be a Backer during the Project Eternity campaign, and what Pillars of Eternity has meant to you. We may use this footage down the road (again, those reasons) and because you made Pillars possible, we want you to be a part of its future.

If you’d like to submit a video, please send it to backer-videos@obsidian.net. It can be from your phone, a webcam, or something super fancy. It’s up to you! We’d like all video submissions to be 10-20 seconds long and need them by the end of this year. So you have until January 6th to get your video to us. We look forward to it!

Until another time, Watchers.
The Pillars Team
Removed the link to the survey, don't know if one should post it or not.

I did the survey. Lot of jokes and hints about POE2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
OK, I just got the survey too and I didn't order the box. I think it's going to all backers, but they're staggering it.

Rev

Arcane
OK, I just got the survey too and I didn't order the box. I think it's going to all backers, but they're staggering it.
Yeah, it's for all backers. The first question specifically asks if you ordered the collector's edition or not, and if you didn't it asked why and what would have picked up better your interest for it.

jaydee2k

Savant
I think they will go the BG2 way. I'm really curious how Josh will handle high level combat.

Prime Junta

I think they will go the BG2 way. I'm really curious how Josh will handle high level combat.

I remember him mentioning off-hand already during the Kickstarter that the Pillars system is intended to scale up to level 50 or so.

I'm curious too though. As it is, you're getting rather too many active per-encounter abilities by the time you're past level 12 or so. If they don't put in enough properly hard encounters that you can't get through just with them, there's a real risk of it collapsing into rote button-mashing.

Sizzle

Arcane

I remember him mentioning off-hand already during the Kickstarter that the Pillars system is intended to scale up to level 50 or so.

I'm curious too though. As it is, you're getting rather too many active per-encounter abilities by the time you're past level 12 or so. If they don't put in enough properly hard encounters that you can't get through just with them, there's a real risk of it collapsing into rote button-mashing.

TWM's content (especially stuff like the xaurip encounter in the Stalwart mines) showcased that they can make the combat better, and Tyranny's combat (which is in almost every aspect a step back from PoE's) is a lot less visually chaotic, so there's is hope for PoE2's combat improving.

Now this is an interesting tease. We know they almost certainly won't give up the Stronghold mechanics and want to build on it.

So what's better than having your own Keep? Being the governor of an entire island.

Pure speculation, of course, but it could accomplish and provide several things: something never before seen in the IE games, interacting with the people who would, presumably, live on said island (something that was woefully lacking from Caed Nua. BG2's De'Arnise Keep gave the impression of a place that was alive - soldiers on the ramparts, servants running about, peasants coming to you for help. Even though it had just a bit of content, it used it very effectively), tying the Stronghold to the Main Story and making it more important than just a place where you go to for the free resting bonuses.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Yes, that really is something to consider. As it is, above level 10 in PoE it already felt like epic DnD levels. Screen was flooded with active skills.

Actually that's one of my main complains towards PoE game mechanics/combat. There's... too much, and too high magic. I'm really worried about "high level" gameplay in PoE2.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Mister Captain Asshole
006320a396b86aa92b07afaa5914da77.png

Delterius

Arcane
Well, numbers can always scale infinitely and a beastiary doesn't have to make sense. Question are what kinds of abilities would you even get 10 levels past White March? How many layers of power is one willing to insert between Adra Dragons, Archmages and the Gods themselves?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Yeah I don't think they will start the game at a high level. Not casual friendly to overwhelm the player with a dozen level-ups right at the start + there will probably be a decent amount of mechanics changes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm going to ask Josh in the next dev commentary stream if/how he plans to overhaul systems for a sequel.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I'm 100% sure he'll change the action speed formula and presentation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom