Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, I think people are forgetting that this game in all likelyhood went significantly over budget because someone had a retarded idea they need to have #metoo feature parity with D:OS2. Full VO and those Critical Role idiots aren't cheap.
Can you provide any evidence that VO is really expensive?

Lexx

Cipher
Yeah, I think people are forgetting that this game in all likelyhood went significantly over budget because someone had a retarded idea they need to have #metoo feature parity with D:OS2. Full VO and those Critical Role idiots aren't cheap.
Can you provide any evidence that VO is really expensive?

I paid about 2k € for 2 voice actors with (in total) 2.5k words of text for a project last year. PoE2 is a very word heavy game, so I'm expecting huge costs.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
So who is Obsidians marketing person, someone from Feargus family?

I didn’t know Katrin Gardner left, I thought she was cute and did a good job on the update videos.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
To make a successful sequel, one that matches or even outsells its predecessor, the predecessor needs to have reached a certain critical mass of true "organic" popularity. Not every seemingly successful game will yield a successful sequel. The sequel to a gimmicky indie with 500,000 owners won't necessarily sell well. The sequel to a big budget AAA that sold 3 million copies due to marketing won't either.

Divinity: Original Sin achieved this critical mass of "True Popularity". Did Pillars of Eternity? All I can say is that I think it's the most likely other RPG of its kind to have done so.
I think the long and short of it may be that Obsidian have built up their own in-house marketing team, so they no longer need many of Paradox's services.
:thisisfine:
Absurdly botched marketing, somebody needs to lose his job
Not a flop, but investing in a game to take off like D:OS and getting one that looks like it's selling about 60% as much as PoE1? Feels bad man.

Potential upside for Obsidian: The game is EXPENSIVE at $50, so with positive word of mouth, carefully planned discounts could attract a lot of attention. Eg, a 10% discount puts it at the same price point as D:OS 2. But they better put somebody who isn't a moron in charge of this.
:thingsareokay:

2house2fly

Magister
Don't even joke about this.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were more that got cut. It probably takes more time to make sure the code for leveling them up is done right and meeting the conditions causes them to fire off effectively, vs a normal unique weapon. They already didn't have much time for bugfixing and I imagine some hard choices had to be made between a soulbound weapon that might not work right and no soulbound weapon at all. On the plus side, upgrading a unique item seems to be more involved now

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not optimism.

The first 1.3 million copies of the Witcher 3 that sold on PC, over half were on GOG, a platform that is strongly preferred by a huge number of cRPG enthusiasts.

Nowadays, it's not a lot to suggest that the first couple hundred people who buy Deadfire are going to want to buy it on GOG.

It's games like this that are the major source of GOG's 8 percent share of the online distribution market.

Bohr

Arcane
You guys are also overlooking that the potential market for this on GOG (nowadays) could easily duplicate the Steam sales, 1:1.

I don't know about that, seems like every time we get an actual breakdown from devs GOG is a smaller percentage than many expect (often in the 5-10% range from what I recall, could be wrong). The Witcher is a special case. It's early days to call this a failure, of course, but I wouldn't be happy looking at the trends when it comes to player numbers compared to PoE1.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
if the game is flop it only proves the game is incline because as we all know the general masses are agents of decline look at how D:OS2 sold well because of decline meanwhile look at shit that doesn't selll well like AoD, Grimoire and POE2 shit is INCLINE and the masses get scared like lil baby orlans

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
TalesfromtheCrypt

It barely has any. I would say it has the same amount of SJW-ism as the first PoE, perhaps even less. There are more female characters, so if that counts then there is that. For example the first village you enter has a female chieftain, however this has zero bearing on anything else, except to trigger snowflakes who play games under a specific prism.

Another nothing-burger example: your first "Task" (side-quest) is about solving a dispute between a woman and a man, except in a Shamalayan-tier twist the aggressor was the woman and the man is bed-ridden and abused.

Stuff like that, basically. Stuff you would never in a million years think was anything more than what it is at face value. One can just as easily argue that it is simply devs playing around with conventions, without any further connotations.

Remember that posters who talk about this subject are X-treme individuals, and as such they carry a +10 Passionate, but suffer a -15 Diplomacy. They will see a side-quest like the one outlined above and cry: "See! They flipped the genders as part of the agenda!".

All that said: the writing didn't improve much, if at all. It's arguably less boring than in the first game mainly because you're doing less generic things and are participating in a richer pastiche. All the complaints about SJW-ism concerning companions and their romances is the byproduct of questionable competence in characterization and written dialog; plus that handy bug that makes some of the dialog flags in disposition nodes trigger concurrently.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative:
This game triggers are total shit! Hope the guy that programmed this shit gets fucked by faggot nigger biker gang,incompetent lazy fuck! I was doing the slavers quest and decided to kill the slavers,next thing i know is that the retarded fish people took the island and the retarded native bitch goes all insane and say that i am to blame for doing her idiotic quest,later on the primitive queen decides to send me to those idiot on a quest,the moment i get the quests already tells me that the negotiations failed and the idiots won't join me. I snapped at this shit and cleansed the island! Also i think that pirate quests are bugged and don't start.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I wouldn't be surprised if there were more that got cut. It probably takes more time to make sure the code for leveling them up is done right and meeting the conditions causes them to fire off effectively, vs a normal unique weapon. They already didn't have much time for bugfixing and I imagine some hard choices had to be made between a soulbound weapon that might not work right and no soulbound weapon at all. On the plus side, upgrading a unique item seems to be more involved now
Not really,just kill shit or do damage in some way. Are they really only 5 soulbound items????

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not a flop, but investing in a game to take off like D:OS and getting one that looks like it's selling about 60% as much as PoE1? Feels bad man.

Potential upside for Obsidian: The game is EXPENSIVE at $50, so with positive word of mouth, carefully planned discounts could attract a lot of attention. Eg, a 10% discount puts it at the same price point as D:OS 2. But they better put somebody who isn't a moron in charge of this.

well golly gee infinitron... anyone you have in mind???

Parabalus

Arcane
If Deadfire flops it's a darn shame. It's a great game already and with the coming expansions it has a shot at being a real nu-classic, especially if a modding scene takes off.

Not really,just kill shit or do damage in some way. Are they really only 5 soulbound items????

Pollaxe, mace, arquebus, sword, dagger. That's it sadly, wiki agrees. Didn't check the pollaxe but the others aren't anything special.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You guys are also overlooking that the potential market for this on GOG (nowadays) could easily duplicate the Steam sales, 1:1.

I don't know about that, seems like every time we get an actual breakdown from devs GOG is a smaller percentage than many expect (often in the 5-10% range from what I recall, could be wrong). The Witcher is a special case. It's early days to call this a failure, of course, but I wouldn't be happy looking at the trends when it comes to player numbers compared to PoE1.

I can't find the article, but I'm pretty sure the first Pillars of Eternity sold 20% on GOG.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Argh, I made the mistake of engaging in a convo in Obs forums:

aweigh said:
LARPing ins't role-playing. Role-playing occurs when the attributes and skills of a character allow the player to make different decisions regarding strategy or tactics or game state.

You can choose to intentionally gimp your character because you're "role-playing" as a cripple, but it doesn't mean you're role-playing, it means you're LARPing.

Otherwise every game would be an RPG.

Obs forumite replied:
You're actually wrong here. Roleplaying a gimp is a thing... in pen/paper and video games. You can make any game a roleplaying game.... Heck those sports management games are roleplaying games... playing spiderman on the PS4 could be considered roleplaying if you wanted to.

So yeah you're fundamentally wrong and need to go back to gaming school.

I forgot how painful it is posting in other places.

It's not optimism.

The first 1.3 million copies of the Witcher 3 that sold on PC, over half were on GOG, a platform that is strongly preferred by a huge number of cRPG enthusiasts.

That's a silly example. Witcher and GOG are both owned by CDP.

But there's probably a degree of overlap between PC users who bought Witcher 3 in the first month and PC users who will buy Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire in the first month.

I'm reasonably sure that RPGs are a genre that performs well on GOG, especially without a strong community or multiplayer element.

Over time, Steam sales from casual buyers will cause the Steam numbers to dwarf GOG sales, but the early, high expense sales should be keeping reasonable pace.

This is a genre that GOG went to painstaking efforts to market on their platform.

Thonius

Arcane
While I like the game and balance man approach... I cant deny me some schadenfreude, I wish Feargus is looking at returns and thinking how domb he is to push for full VO...
Also yeah their marketing sucked balls... they gave money to The Guardian to write about their game... l cannot image much overlap from guardian and rpg crowd...

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And btw, Deadfire is doing pretty stron on GoG it seems.

TalesfromtheCrypt , any SJW campaigning in the game is in the eye of the beholder. Yes, there are moronic romances, yes they are completely optional. Outside of that, you have to really want to see agenda pushing in order to "see" it

BTW, I've just spent 3 hours, going through Fort Deadlight, and reaching the island of the Principi chief.

Anyone who discards this game is making a huge error. This is a very well polished RPG, even with the buggy relese. I'd say this is the kind of RPG that would have started a renaissance if it had been released 3 years ago.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
PoE1 had its highest number of players today since May, 2015. Maybe people feel they need to finish that game before jumping into PoE2.
They could have done a lot better at appealing to players who skipped PoE1. If you didn't play the first game, the PoE2 trailer would seem totally weird and nonsensical.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom