Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
Yes, all the males being gay/bisexual is anathema, but all the women being like that is a-okay.
Probably because it mirrors reality.

Recent work supports the idea that the brains of men and women respond differently to sexual stimuli contingent upon the content of the stimuli. There are sex differences in neural activation between men and women depending upon the sex of the actor in the stimuli

While in the fMRI scanner, subjects viewed still photographs depicting male nudes, female nudes, a neutral condition, or fixation, presented in a block design. Activation to sexual stimuli was compared to activation during the neutral condition. Greater activation to opposite sex stimuli compared to same sex stimuli was seen in men in the inferior temporal and occipital lobes. Women did not show any areas of increased activation to opposite sex compared to same sex stimuli. Men showed more differential activation of brain areas related to sexual arousal than women, including the amygdala, hippocampus, basal ganglia, and some areas of the prefrontal cortex. Women did not show these differences, suggesting that women do not emotionally discriminate between opposite sex and same sex stimuli in the manner that men do. Women only showed increased activation to same sex compared to opposite sex stimuli in visual cortical areas.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2739403/

Eighteen heterosexual women and 18 heterosexual men viewed seven sexual film stimuli, six human films and one nonhuman primate film, while measurements of genital and subjective sexual arousal were recorded. Women showed small increases in genital arousal to the nonhuman stimulus and large increases in genital arousal to both human male and female stimuli. Men did not show any genital arousal to the nonhuman stimulus and demonstrated a category-specific pattern of arousal to the human stimuli that corresponded to their stated sexual orientation. These results suggest that stimulus features necessary to evoke genital arousal are much less specific in women than in men.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16168255/

Another set of tests, comparing male vs. female stimuli within each group, revealed that neither bisexual nor heterosexual women were significantly biased toward stimuli depicting males or stimuli depicting females.

For heterosexual women viewing erotic pictures, activity was greater for female relative to male stimuli bilaterally in lateral occipital cortices, likely indicative of visual attention as well as in right-lateralized fusiform cortex, potentially suggesting face or body processingIn no brain areas did heterosexual women have significantly greater activation for male relative to female erotic pictures. Rather, they seemed to have a somewhat gynephilic pattern of visual attention, consistent with results from eye-tracking and looking-time studies in which heterosexual women attended to erotic characteristics of female pictures

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5766543/

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
All of these tests are visual ones, and it's well known female sexuality isn't predominantly visual, so that doesn't really tell us anything. And, again, fictional narratives don't need to adhere to real life statistics, so citing that is painfully irrelevant. You don't think about these studies when consuming PoE, it's simply bias that doesn't need to be brought up every 3rd post. I also mentioned that 3 guys out of however hundreds of NPCs isn't even in line with the real life prevalence, so even if we take into account that argument, it still doesn't work.

Codex Year of the Donut
All of these tests are visual ones, and it's well known female sexuality isn't predominantly visual, so that doesn't really tell us anything. And, again, fictional narratives don't need to adhere to real life statistics, so citing that is painfully irrelevant. You don't think about these studies when consuming PoE, it's simply bias that doesn't need to be brought up every 3rd post.
Fine, if it doesn't matter because it's fiction then just make everyone asexual. Problem solved.

I also mentioned that 3 guys out of however hundreds of NPCs isn't even in line with the real life prevalence, so even if we take into account that argument, it still doesn't work.
Actually, that's pretty close to being accurate. Shame those 3 guys just happen to be your companions so the sample size isn't hundreds but a couple.

Lacrymas

Arcane
3 guys out of 100, yes, but not 3 out of 500. I don't know how many NPCs there are in the whole game, but it's probably more than 100. The sample size isn't a couple, it's all the NPCs in the game. Whether they make anyone whatever sexuality is an artistic choice, making them asexual because you are somehow biased is absurd. Of all the incompetent writing people can criticize, they go for the lowest hanging fruit that isn't even relevant and are using the most cliche and weak arguments every time.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
So I did a "Everything Bad" decision run where I played a Corpse-Eater and was a huge violent shithead to everyone, before going to Magran's Teeth and have the first talk face-to-face with Eothas I made sure to kill all Principi leaders (Furrante, Adarys and One-Eyed Plim), the VTC Director and everyone inside, the Rautai lady boss and everyone inside the Brass Citadel just to see if it changed stuff in the post Magran's Teeth scene where everyone is at the Palace in panic in what to do.

I was surprised that the scene plays mostly the same, but with Secretary Atsura, the VTC Governor lady and One-Eyed Plim (which survived some-fucking-how, you can even ask "Didn't I kill you?" and he just winks at you) instead.

Now the weird thing is that they speak like none of the massacres in my part happened (the Queen even says "well its now time to stop being a freelancer Watcher" as before) and basically offer to help out anyway, but when its finished if you actually try to do the faction endings everyone is (understandably) hostile.

There's some real weird scripting stuff in the game as it stands. Wonder if it will ever be fixed considering the poor sales.

Sentinel

Arcane
Also, Eder says he cannot like anyone "religious" anymore...so he rejects Xoti attempts to... get closer, but his character sheet says he supports all who believe in Eothas.
Supporting doesn't necessarily mean fucking them in the ass.
... unmaried? How the fuck... ok, just, moving on...
What's the problem here?

Honestly your post is overly autistic even for Codex standards.
Because its not about fucking anyone in the ass?
And because its "an issue" stupidly written altogether. And because he says that being religious is the reason?
You autistic moron.

And why would some npc i met first time even know, worry or think im unmarried or not and bothered to call me such? because thats an example of "foreign culture" for imbeciles such as you?

Just two quick examples of general dumb superficial lousily written companions interaction and random npcs dialogues.
oh ok, you're just a total mongoloid. Could have just given a warning in the initial post, would have avoided this confusion.

Quillon

Arcane
I was surprised that the scene plays mostly the same, but with Secretary Atsura, the VTC Governor lady and One-Eyed Plim (which survived some-fucking-how, you can even ask "Didn't I kill you?" and he just winks at you) instead.

WTF. Some serious decliniest shit right there. I wouldn't have expected for Sawyer to pull something like that....

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Is the lesson that Obsidian can no longer create interesting characters and stick to writing fantasy tropes?.

If a 7-foot tall female special forces sniper and firearms expert is a fantasy trope, than I guess I'm out of touch with what's popular in fantasy literature nowadays.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is the lesson that Obsidian can no longer create interesting characters and stick to writing fantasy tropes?.

If a 7-foot tall female special forces sniper is a fantasy trope, than I guess I'm out of touch with what's popular in fantasy literature nowadays.
"Strong wymyn".
19g4nquneiybpjpg.jpg

dragonfall-is-the-shadowrun-i-know-and-love-1525636558
Well written women!

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Actually, Eiger is a really well written female character as such. Maia is a shallow 1 D strong wymyn. What I found funny was that Nick's description 100% applied to Eiger.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Glory and Eiger are waaaay above what Obsidian can muster now. The only downside was "the Devil made me do it" angle of Glory, otherwise she was intriguing and beautiful.

Sizzle

Arcane
Glory was basically a BioWare character - her "broken bird/waifu" aspect clashed badly with all the other characters, who were all more down-to-earth and all the more interesting for it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Glory was basically a BioWare character - her "broken bird/waifu" aspect clashed badly with all the other characters, who were all more down-to-earth and all the more interesting for it.
She was still a professional who did her job excellently and that reflected on her character, her issues are separate from that, so she didn't clash with the team as shadowrunners. Having an abusive and extremist father isn't somehow out of this earth.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Now that you bring it up maxie, maia is exactly like the tutorial woman from the first game.
Underdeveloped, barely concerned by anything. Strong woman®. The void, in a word.
Also, she's american sniper.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Now that you bring it up maxie, maia is exactly like the tutorial woman from the first game.
Underdeveloped, barely concerned by anything. Strong woman®. The void, in a word.
Also, she's american sniper.

Her VO doesn't help either, like someone else said she sounds like a gps announcer but somehow even more lifeless. Like I said, cheap VO is the bane of many games and it does more harm than good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom