Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Not all sidekicks are complete mutes by the way, Rekke is happy to share gossip once he starts learning the languge

3518DBB98B8BD04E9584968DF41AE9BA82320799

Codex Year of the Donut
Rekke deserved to be a full companion
So did Ydwin. They shouldn't have even included her without her full story.
"Oh hey, I managed to completely free myself of the wheel. You know, the thing Eothas is going to break? Yeah, I don't need it!"
and… that's it. There's nothing else.

I have no idea why they decided to make the stupid blue druid guy a full companion instead of one of these two

frajaq

Erudite
Teheku genuinely feels like a Mary Sue character and the game would be much better without him, but I guess they would need to put a Huana character anyway to even things out

Sentinel

Arcane
Also, Eder says he cannot like anyone "religious" anymore...so he rejects Xoti attempts to... get closer, but his character sheet says he supports all who believe in Eothas.
Supporting doesn't necessarily mean fucking them in the ass.
... unmaried? How the fuck... ok, just, moving on...
What's the problem here?

Honestly your post is overly autistic even for Codex standards.

Codex Year of the Donut
Also, Eder says he cannot like anyone "religious" anymore...so he rejects Xoti attempts to... get closer, but his character sheet says he supports all who believe in Eothas.
What's the problem here?

you'll be sent to hell if you have anal sex

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Teheku genuinely feels like a Mary Sue character and the game would be much better without him, but I guess they would need to put a Huana character anyway to even things out

Teheku is the chosen one! I think it's kind of neat that they used all of those tropes for a companion character; yeah, he's god's gift to the Huana, and he's also following you around like a little bitch.

What's the problem here?

Strongly agree. Hiver has a few good points but most of that was just ridiculous.

Prime Junta

Even less than 1 in 5 people completed the game, so that should tell you something about how much user reviews and scores can be trusted. 43% completed act 1! 22% completed act 2. That "overwhelming love" isn't supported by actual sales and data, so how do we explain this disparity?

This is a typical completion rate for a RPG. Most people don’t complete most games they play.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
But do we have the numbers? Do we have the STEAM NUMBERS to BACK UP what you are ASSERTING? Do we have the data? Do we know the facts?

Quillon

Arcane
Such doom & gloom in this thread, remember people who played it, are mostly "lovin' it" (outside of codex) & its a critical success. Word of mouth will help with it down the line. Initial sales have nothing to do with how good the game is but what type of a game it is and what it doesn't have(co-op, multi). So I'd worry about not getting another $10 million budget purely single player isometric RPG(or maybe not even another Pillars game of any type) rather than what Obs did wrong with White March expansions if I were you. But who am I talking to, ofc a codexter doesn't care about pretty gfx, detailed char models etc. riiiight? Only thing that matters is how good the rule system is and how shity every word written for the game is, let's be honest even if the writing was objectively best in the universe, it'd still be declared shit in here :P But alas, lead on Lacrymas, who haven't even played the game yet, we'll repeat your chants & summon our codex trolls once we got enough phrases.

The game is grrrreat! I've played 139 hours according to steam, I'm even trying to mod stuff and shit. Good for me!

---

Last edited:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I think the thread has tended towards a positive reception. Now, what retard masses like or dislike does affect what we might see from Obsidian in the future. Interesting, sure.

What gets me riled up is all the data-lite analysis. Like reading a transcript of a bunch of boardroom owners' talk. As if our guesses were worth a single damn. No, of course not. We, along with Obsidian, don't have a clue.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Such doom & gloom in this thread, remember people who played it, are mostly "lovin' it" (outside of codex) & its a critical success. Word of mouth will help with it down the line. Initial sales have nothing to do with how good the game is but what type of a game it is and what it doesn't have(co-op, multi). So I'd worry about not getting another $10 million budget purely single player isometric RPG(or maybe not even another Pillars game of any type) rather than what Obs did wrong with White March expansions if I were you. But who am I talking to, ofc a codexter doesn't care about pretty gfx, detailed char models etc. riiiight? Only thing that matters is how good the rule system is and how shity every word written for the game is, let's be honest even if the writing was objectively best in the universe, it'd still be declared shit in here :P But alas, lead on Lacrymas, who haven't even played the game yet, we'll repeat your chants & summon our codex trolls once we got enough phrases.

The game is grrrreat! I've played 139 hours according to steam, I'm even trying to mod stuff and shit. Good for me!

---

Wrong, the game is already bleeding players faster than even I would have thought.Let's look at the numbers

Since it's release the game peaked at 22k players and right now, the game is averaging at 12-13k players only 2 weeks after it's release, that's awful for such a promising sequel. It's dying faster than Senior Bush:lol:

Look at D:OS 2, it was averaging at 70k-80k for almost an entire month, even PoE 1 was averaging between 30-40k in it's first weeks, barely losing any players. Let's look at Battletech, it peaked at 35k and it still kept a steady 25-30k for 2 weeks and it's still having a good run. If you follow the numbers you can really see the gloom and doom, you may be happy, but I doubt anyone at Obsidian is happy:lol:

Mr. Hiver

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What's the problem here?

Because its not about fucking anyone in the ass?
And because its "an issue" stupidly written altogether. And because he says that being religious is the reason?
You autistic moron.

And why would some npc i met first time even know, worry or think im unmarried or not and bothered to call me such? because thats an example of "foreign culture" for imbeciles such as you?

Just two quick examples of general dumb superficial lousily written companions interaction and random npcs dialogues.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And why would some npc i met first time even know, worry or think im unmarried or not and bothered to call me such?

this is not different than calling a woman you meet 'miss' or 'mademoiselle'

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
POE Codex - where aspiring game writers second guess shit written by someone at about their creative writing level, and call each other autistic.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I think a game written by the regulars would be too autistic for me. RPGs should be full of human emotions. Aggression, despair, humor, lust, love, envy, and above all, glory. A glance over internet culture might suggest our boys may have trouble with aggression, love, and glory.

Aggression, as in, have you felt the red-blooded heat that causes you to personally escalate a confrontation. Not to pretend. But to actually fight. To feel nothing other than wanting to physically hurt another human and then act on it. Love, as in, creating a deep emotional bond with another human being. The kind that allows you to reveal your own weaknesses without fear. Glory, the kind where you feel the biggest joy you've had. A joy based on something you've accomplished. Something your peers can understand and also believe is great.

Pizzashoes

Scholar
I think a game written by the regulars would be too autistic for me.

but Chris Avellone is a regular
And I believe he only became a regular because he could no longer bear the weight of human being society with all the professional obligations. Here he can unleash what he has suppressed for years to an eager and understanding audience. Chris is the man, the rare kind who could channel his inner autism together with his understanding of humans toward good gameplay for all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom