Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
To draw a lesson from film, what is considered high art in film are much more accessible than what is considered high literature. Stanley Kubrick's 2001 is as eminently regarded in film education as James Joyce's Ulysses is in literary education

Except Kubrick isn't as experimental as he likes to think he is and 2001 is not equivalent to James Joyce, let alone Ulysses. There are much more experimental films that can be likened to Ulysses. The problem is not whether games should be equivalent to T. S. Eliot or anyone else, it's about how to actually write with text (which PoE1 and 2 have in spades) to not come off as someone who just read the definition of poetry. Sack of flesh and merry gourd all right. The overall form and content of writing is universal across mediums, those being logical characters that affect the plot, the plot going somewhere, it being a whole connected thing, not just a string of events that hardly pertain to one another, having an interesting story, etc. Technical mishaps in the sentence structure or too much flowery prose can be forgiven if those things are in place, yet most of the time they are not. I gave Eliot as an example of how you can say a lot with few words, not whether video games should be like Eliot or not. PoE says nothing with its entire cornucopia of words, words, words and more words and that's the problem.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
All companions are boring as hell and without any trace of character. And amount of useless text is staggering. It's like Torment Tides of numenera "goddamn, skip skip skip, skip this walls of text, I just want to finish this game because, in my stupidness, I bought it"
I have no problem with text but this is not a text adventure. And what annoys me the most it is a useless text. It's like BGI Candlekeep once again.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
PoE series is incredibly UScentric. It's deeply seated in modern American perception of history, and America's view of European countries and their colonies in-so-far they relate to America's past in Europe, wrapped in American stereotypes of outside world and concept of pseudo-scientific race-"realism". It's a fire lit aflame by prejudices poured into the most shallow of colonialist narratives in a dumpster, a true dumpsterfire of worst of exceptionalism and cultural biases put together.

I strongly condemn participation in it.

Please stop dragging your politics everywhere.

This is not about politics, this is about about marginalisation of non-Germanic peoples by Josh Sawyer (Aedyr and its colonies are Anglo-saxon/Germanic and colonised people are welsh; Southern Europeans reduced to black caricatures; non-europeans either don't exist or are failing communists) as well as his nazi sympathies (eugenics in animancy, clearly a paralel to nazi atlanto-hyperboreanism and scientific racism; different races cannot breed, a hint to imply miscegenation is unnatural). Josh Sawyer has an Austrian ancestry and he might have set this dumpster on fire to gas us all.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Obsidian:Lets make a very liberal game that will appease the twater crowd!

Josh: Yeah we will put a lot of atheism and gay romance sparkled with bad writing and noble savages,also almost no whites!

A few months after release.....

FreeKaner : This game is clearly nazi trash,it is filled with all kind of racist metaphors and symbolism. It propagates the eradication of all non whites! Josh is clearly a descendant of Goebel!

Me: Who would have though that the sultan was codexer,clearly the dementia is setting in.

Last edited:
Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I have a friend I used to play chess with in school. Eventually he hit on the strategy of waiting 2 minutes on his very first move, staring thoughtfully at the board, as I became ever more impatient with the absurd idea that there was any deep consideration to be had over the very first move, when barely anything had happened yet. When he finally gave in and moved, I played the rest of the match in such a state of irritated, incautious aggression that I generally lost.

Today I am a great fan of RTWP, while he advocates turnbased, saying RTWP is 'too fast' among other things. I think he might still be trolling me.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Josh: Yeah we will put a lot of atheism and gay romance sparkled with bad writing and noble savages,also almost no whites!

A few months later.....

FreeKaner : This game is clearly nazi trash,it is filled with all kind of racist metaphors and symbolism. It propagates the eradication of all non whites! Josh is clearly a descendant of Goebel!
Me: Who would have though that the sultan was codexer,clearly the dementia is setting in.

It's far more sinister, first it presents itself outwardly as an inclusive game at first glance and leads people lowering their guard, so they will be more open to transmission of ideology. However once one examines the workings underneath this façade they will quickly realise it's clearly propagating an idea of Germanic supremacism at all levels: from how only civil, traditional socities are ones resembling Germanic ones and how Southern Europeans are presented as an amalgamation of hotheaded and degenerate blacks, rest of world's cultures aren't represented whatsoever except as tribals and eccentrics at the peripheries. Only other civilisational progress is made by industrialising but spiritual honorary Aryans (Japanese) that are also rooted in Sanskrit traditions (Aryan origin theories). All the while also immersing itself to clash of civilisation and survival of race narratives, even going as far to reflect this to tangible inherent qualities in the form of souls.

Not to mention you also have secret organisation with long thick beards and black&purple robes (this part so obvious and crass) trying to disrupt concurrent world by scheming in the shadows, they are also main antoganists doing blood libel, opposing real science, attempting assassinations, killing babies and stealing their souls, brainwashing people and in general trying to cause damage. Elimiating this organisation and killing its leader the primary concern in the game, as well as uncovering their eternal lies and undying backstabbing presence.

It couldn't be any more straightforward and obvious. This game, no, this ongoing dumpsterfire is a piece of Nazi propaganda, its theme is one of Germanic dominance and struggle. The aim of Josh Sawyer is clear, what is unknown is how far will he go, what's his end game? How will his final solution come to fruitation?

Also no Sultan here as I wouldn't dare, you can use Pasha instead.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Another hilarious bug, this one's a doozy.

Finally get to Ukaizo and gear up for the battle with the island's guardian. There's YET ANOTHER round area right in front of me so clearly that's where the DRAMATIC entrance is going to occur. So I sneak up, ready to go, and... he's not there.

I mean he's sort of there, a round circle representing where he should be, and he talks to me. The entire conversation proceeds with his placement circle pulsating in time to his every word. Well, I play along, expecting he'll drop out of the sky or something, but he doesn't.

What does happen is that some of his minions start crawling up from the sides (God, I'm sick of this lame tactic) but they disappear and repeat their climbing animation. Endlessly.

If I shrug my shoulders and run past to the area transition then come right back, there's no trace of either the guardian or his minions anywhere.

Well, that was easy!

(apparently this is related to the BoW DLC and Obstupidian knows about it)

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
tier-organised itemisation in a single player fantasy game
Yes, imagine if BG had had this, indicated by, say, a +[#] suffix to the names of weapons ;)
That's dnd, and pretty understandable from my standpoint. The point kinda was to make something playable on tabletop.
But then again, dnd also had different categories of damage, and martial classes would benefit from higher damage die weapons as a gameplay feature. While poe had strictly nothing but normal/fine/exceptional to differenciate weapons from each other. Balanced out by damage output, speed etc (albeit, the reality of DR made some weapons better in most cases).

Obviously you got what I meant.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
They had no time left to check if the scripts of this dumpsterfire works, because their real script is Nazi world dominance under the vision of German-American Manifest Destiny of Aryan Atlanto-Hyperboreans.

Teutonic knights of old march once again
Grand horse of steel, sword of flame - the ground is shaking
Massive apparatus of death, 58 tons of hate
Unforgivingly rolling in to seal your fate

Chariot of flames
Grinding the seeds of peace
Duels in the mist
Panzer fist

Guardians of the Reich
Iron stars burning bright
Glorious iron sun
Panzer VI - Tiger I

Cold steel predator on swift caterpillar bands
Carrying the voice of war in all the land
Voracious carnivore - proven by killing score
Whose silhouette alone shall bring fear... forevermore

Thundering over frozen fields in remote Russian land
Hardship and battering in Tunisian sand
To hell and back and over Italian mountain-slopes
Normandy's green hedges hold the ending of hopes

Chariot of flames
Grinding the seeds of peace
Duels in the mist
Panzer fist

Guardians of the Reich
Glorious iron sun
Panzer VI - Tiger I

Guardians of the Reich
Glorious iron sun
Panzer VI - Tiger I

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Beta Patch Notes v2.0.1.0044

• Fixed a particular Eder bark after The Messenger resurrects showing as a Missing String.
  • Fixed Pyramid of Woedica interior scene transition sometimes being hidden in fog.
  • Fixed player character gaining Knock Down, Constant Recovery, Battle Axe Proficiency, Mace Proficiency after retrain.
  • Fixed party members visually disappearing when standing in a particular spot in Sunken Crown.
  • Fixed party being separated after using a portal in the Sunken Crown when it's flooded.
  • Fixed loading the autosave created before jumping into the hole in Beast of Winter Shattered Passage permanently breaking the transition.

Azarkon

Arcane
Except Kubrick isn't as experimental as he likes to think he is and 2001 is not equivalent to James Joyce, let alone Ulysses. There are much more experimental films that can be likened to Ulysses.

There are more experimental, less accessible films than Kubrick, but such films aren't held up as the high art of the form nearly as often as their analogies in literature. The Western Canon is full of works that would be considered impenetrable to the average reader, today, or just straight up dry and tedious, even when they can understand it. Part of this is due to a general decrease in literacy standards in the West. But part of it is also due to the medium itself: critically recognized films are just more accessible, period, and that probably has much to do with the differences in production requirements - ie the fact that films are typically more expensive to make and therefore must target a larger audience, while writers, especially in the old days, could live on the praise of a small circle of literary academics and supporters. Or, as Eliot put it in his own review of the famous impenetrability of Ulysses, "the next generation is responsible for its own soul; a man of genius is responsible to his peers, not to a studio full of uneducated and undisciplined coxcombs."

Yet, a hundred years from now, when people look back at our time, and try to work out the most influential works of culture that shaped our society, I am confident that they will primarily pick examples from film and video games, rather than literature. Perhaps they will even find it as inaccessible in their time, as the average reader today does the works of Joyce. But this is the way change happens. High literature, in the old fashion, is a dying form. It has no where near its influence a hundred years ago, not only because the average person is no longer reading, but also because the literary pundits on which they depended for social impact are, themselves, more irrelevant than ever. Films and video games are the formative trends of our generation, and they would be wise to not try and imitate the past, as though to share their fate.

The problem is not whether games should be equivalent to T. S. Eliot or anyone else, it's about how to actually write with text (which PoE1 and 2 have in spades) to not come off as someone who just read the definition of poetry. Sack of flesh and merry gourd all right. The overall form and content of writing is universal across mediums, those being logical characters that affect the plot, the plot going somewhere, it being a whole connected thing, not just a string of events that hardly pertain to one another, having an interesting story, etc. Technical mishaps in the sentence structure or too much flowery prose can be forgiven if those things are in place, yet most of the time they are not. I gave Eliot as an example of how you can say a lot with few words, not whether video games should be like Eliot or not. PoE says nothing with its entire cornucopia of words, words, words and more words and that's the problem.

Yes, but you could've given a better example to avoid this debate. The trouble with Pillars of Eternity isn't that its writing fails to reach the heights of T. S. Eliot, it's that it doesn't have much to say. We don't actually want Eliot or Milton or Joyce in our games. We just want coherent story lines and ideas. It's not just you, either. I've often seen people cite high literature as examples of proper writing, without understanding that, especially in the context of the 19th and early 20th centuries, most of the best known literary authors became famous not because they followed the rules of coherence but because they broke the rules of coherence. They were impenetrable and inaccessible to a fault, and they saw it as a mark of genius. This is not what you want to aspire to when criticizing video game writing, because it's very possible that you communicate the wrong idea to developers, that we actually want more dense writing.

Last edited:
Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
If you ask me the quality of the writing is less important than the ideas it's trying to convey. If some obsessive Slav wrote an rpg with a superb story/ setting, characters etc, but the english language was a low quality DIY affair, I would probably be fine with that.

Glaucon

Prophet

A few months later.....

It's far more sinister, first it presents itself outwardly as an inclusive game at first glance and leads people lowering their guard, so they will be more open to transmission of ideology. However once one examines the workings underneath this façade they will quickly realise it's clearly propagating an idea of Germanic supremacism at all levels: from how only civil, traditional socities are ones resembling Germanic ones and how Southern Europeans are presented as an amalgamation of hotheaded and degenerate blacks, rest of world's cultures aren't represented whatsoever except as tribals and eccentrics at the peripheries. Only other civilisational progress is made by industrialising but spiritual honorary Aryans (Japanese) that are also rooted in Sanskrit traditions (Aryan origin theories). All the while also immersing itself to clash of civilisation and survival of race narratives, even going as far to reflect this to tangible inherent qualities in the form of souls.

Not to mention you also have secret organisation with long thick beards and black&purple robes (this part so obvious and crass) trying to disrupt concurrent world by scheming in the shadows, they are also main antoganists doing blood libel, opposing real science, attempting assassinations, killing babies and stealing their souls, brainwashing people and in general trying to cause damage. Elimiating this organisation and killing its leader the primary concern in the game, as well as uncovering their eternal lies and undying backstabbing presence.

It couldn't be any more straightforward and obvious. This game, no, this ongoing dumpsterfire is a piece of Nazi propaganda, its theme is one of Germanic dominance and struggle. The aim of Josh Sawyer is clear, what is unknown is how far will he go, what's his end game? How will his final solution come to fruitation?

Also no Sultan here as I wouldn't dare, you can use Pasha instead.
This is probably my favorite post of your's, but
the whole idea of the "wheel", ie, the source of soul reincarnation and hence any implications the game makes about racial souls, is that it's a human (or kith--same thing) construction. The races have no essential qualities, in fact, nothing does and everything is up to kith to decide for themselves, everything is a matter of values and commitments.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Vatnir - kind of a big deal: http://west.paxsite.com/schedule/pa...f-industry-newbies-developed-deadfires-newest

One Very Icky Boy: How a Team of Industry Newbies Developed Deadfire's Newest Character
  • SUN 09/02 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
  • WYVERN THEATRE
How does a lean crew of relative newcomers take up the work of the industry legends at Obsidian? By creating the grossest, smelliest companion Pillars of Eternity has ever seen (Durance included). Learn how Deadfire’s DLC team developed Vatnir from inspiration to implementation - and how they shake up Obsidian’s standard project structure to create a culture of their own.

PANELISTS
Mikey Dowling [PR Manager/Moderator, Obsidian], Alec Frey [Producer, Obsidian], Ian Randall [Character Artist, Obsidian], Clare Sim [Concept Artist, Obsidian], Kyle Koenig [System Designer, Obsidian], Alex Scokel [Narrative Designer, Obsidian]

Jezal_k23

They said it's the newest and grossest character, not that it's the best or anything. Just explaining the process of developing that companion sounds pretty harmless to me rather than narcissistic.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Vatnir is a good character from a writing, gameplay, and artistic perspective. It's a shame he's not a full companion.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Quest entry from Seeker, Slayer, Survivor main quest

Commune with the faces of the hunt

Now that I have been crowned Champion, I can speak with the Faces of the Hunt and figure out what has been going on.

I should be able to connect with them through the Pool of Memories.

Dialog from Forgotten Sanctum ???

"You've got something shiny for me, friend?"

The dwarf moves closer to you, the air around her thick with smells of oil and metal shavings.

"Excuse me, what are you doing?"

"Keep looking, I'm sure it's in there somewhere."

[Let her work.]

[Steal from her while she's distracted.]

"Hmm..." Biting her lip, she squints down at your goods and equipment.

"You've got nothing that piques my interest today, friend. Least not yet. Pay me a visit when you do."

"Strange bit of metal. What else have we got?" She returns Neriscyrlas' Hope to you and continues going through your belongings.

"What's this, some kind of fang you stole off a critter?" She admires the Tooth of Toamowhai before handing it back to you.

"Now ain't this an odd trinket." She taps on the shard of metal you pulled from Wael's body, holding it against her ear like a conch shell.

"Aye, I'll be the judge of that. Now hush."

"If you bring me some more of that odd metal, maybe I can craft something shiny for you? There's no telling until I've got my hands on it."

"Ordinary inspection. Don't you worry, I'm a professional. Everyone gets a turn."

She's so enraptured by the contents of your pack that she doesn't even notice when you steal from a pouch hanging from her side.

"You've got quite the collection of odd metals. Give me a little time, I wager I could knock something together out of all this."

She strokes her chin and nods.

"Why are you so curious about my belongings?"

"Do I have anything you could tinker on?"

"Can we assemble these two pieces into something?"

"Ow! Something bit me!"

She snaps her hand back with a wince. Concelhaut's skull lets out a gleeful chuckle and burrows into a mound of coins.

"Now, what have we here?"

"You keep a dream journal too? No need to blush, this one's tame compared to mine."

She sets the journal of groggy Eothasian ramblings aside with a smile.

"Promise you won't laugh? See, it all started with this dream I had."

She averts her gaze and coughs lightly.

"These are real eye-catchers, ain't they? Give me a little time and I can make something shiny out of them."

"Alls I remember is a woman opened this satchel and gave me three pieces of dark metal. Told me she had lost them, but that if I kept my eyes open they'd be found again one day."

"Was just a girl when I had that dream, but it stuck with me like hagfish to the roof of my mouth.

"So if you find any unusualmetals, you bring them to me first, yeah?"

"It'll take a bit of heat and a bit of hammering, but I'll make something that shines, I will!"

She uses a cloth to carefully take the pieces of glowing metal from you.

[Give Neriscyrlas' Hope, Tooth of Toamowhai, and LAX3 Crown Piece.] "Can you fuse these three together into something?"

As soon as she gets to work, something comes over you. Your skin feels taut, like it's been dried out in the sun and pulled across the mouth of a drum.

[Give Neriscyrlas' Hope.] "Can you fuse this with the Chain of Rightful Authority?"

"If we were to finish the job and melt these two halves together, we might just come away with something unusual. Interested?"

"When I got my hands on them, I was to bring the pieces together and get a prize for my troubles. Ain't that a strange calling?" She scratches the back of her head and shrugs.

"This should look fetching on you. Try it on for me and see if you like it."

Smiling, Izzia presents you with the fruit of her labors.

[Give Neriscyrlas' Hope and Tooth of Toamowhai.] "What can you make out of these two artifacts?"

[Give Tooth of Toamowhai and LAX3 Crown Piece.] "What can you make out of these two artifacts?"

[Give Neriscyrlas' Hope and LAX3 Crown Piece.] "What can you make out of these two artifacts?"

"I got waylaid by some assassins who mentioned you by name.

Sizzle

Arcane
Dialog from Forgotten Sanctum ???

"You've got something shiny for me, friend?"

The dwarf moves closer to you, the air around her thick with smells of oil and metal shavings.

"Excuse me, what are you doing?"

"Keep looking, I'm sure it's in there somewhere."

[Let her work.]

[Steal from her while she's distracted.]

"Hmm..." Biting her lip, she squints down at your goods and equipment.

"You've got nothing that piques my interest today, friend. Least not yet. Pay me a visit when you do."

"Strange bit of metal. What else have we got?" She returns Neriscyrlas' Hope to you and continues going through your belongings.

"What's this, some kind of fang you stole off a critter?" She admires the Tooth of Toamowhai before handing it back to you.

"Now ain't this an odd trinket." She taps on the shard of metal you pulled from Wael's body, holding it against her ear like a conch shell.

"Aye, I'll be the judge of that. Now hush."

"If you bring me some more of that odd metal, maybe I can craft something shiny for you? There's no telling until I've got my hands on it."

"Ordinary inspection. Don't you worry, I'm a professional. Everyone gets a turn."

She's so enraptured by the contents of your pack that she doesn't even notice when you steal from a pouch hanging from her side.

"You've got quite the collection of odd metals. Give me a little time, I wager I could knock something together out of all this."

She strokes her chin and nods.

"Why are you so curious about my belongings?"

"Do I have anything you could tinker on?"

"Can we assemble these two pieces into something?"

"Ow! Something bit me!"

She snaps her hand back with a wince. Concelhaut's skull lets out a gleeful chuckle and burrows into a mound of coins.

"Now, what have we here?"

"You keep a dream journal too? No need to blush, this one's tame compared to mine."

She sets the journal of groggy Eothasian ramblings aside with a smile.

"Promise you won't laugh? See, it all started with this dream I had."

She averts her gaze and coughs lightly.

"These are real eye-catchers, ain't they? Give me a little time and I can make something shiny out of them."

"Alls I remember is a woman opened this satchel and gave me three pieces of dark metal. Told me she had lost them, but that if I kept my eyes open they'd be found again one day."

"Was just a girl when I had that dream, but it stuck with me like hagfish to the roof of my mouth.

"So if you find any unusualmetals, you bring them to me first, yeah?"

"It'll take a bit of heat and a bit of hammering, but I'll make something that shines, I will!"

She uses a cloth to carefully take the pieces of glowing metal from you.

[Give Neriscyrlas' Hope, Tooth of Toamowhai, and LAX3 Crown Piece.] "Can you fuse these three together into something?"

As soon as she gets to work, something comes over you. Your skin feels taut, like it's been dried out in the sun and pulled across the mouth of a drum.

[Give Neriscyrlas' Hope.] "Can you fuse this with the Chain of Rightful Authority?"

"If we were to finish the job and melt these two halves together, we might just come away with something unusual. Interested?"

"When I got my hands on them, I was to bring the pieces together and get a prize for my troubles. Ain't that a strange calling?" She scratches the back of her head and shrugs.

"This should look fetching on you. Try it on for me and see if you like it."

Smiling, Izzia presents you with the fruit of her labors.

[Give Neriscyrlas' Hope and Tooth of Toamowhai.] "What can you make out of these two artifacts?"

[Give Tooth of Toamowhai and LAX3 Crown Piece.] "What can you make out of these two artifacts?"

[Give Neriscyrlas' Hope and LAX3 Crown Piece.] "What can you make out of these two artifacts?"

"I got waylaid by some assassins who mentioned you by name.

Yay, Cromwell-like crafting!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom