Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pike and Shot: Campaigns

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I've played it a bit now. See screenshots in what game you're wasting time on thread. It's pretty neat, but I'm not sure it's worth the current asking price. You're somewhat limited in what actions you can perform. (No changing from narrow to wide or loose to tight formation? wtf?). UI is okay, but I would like more info without having to mousing over and ctrl-clicking everything. And unless i'm a tactical genius (unlikely), the AI could use some more work

You get to tweak your army at the start, but a portion of your units are autoselected for you - even in skirmish, which I found a little odd. Graphics and sound are nothing to write hime about. and with only one sound for shooting, fighting and fleeing I soon muted it all.

If you have a friend to play with, maybe the not-removed-from-inventory version is something for you. As it stands, I'd hold off on buying this until it's on a 50% sale or better.

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I've played it a bit now. See screenshots in what game you're wasting time on thread. It's pretty neat, but I'm not sure it's worth the current asking price. You're somewhat limited in what actions you can perform. (No changing from narrow to wide or loose to tight formation? wtf?). UI is okay, but I would like more info without having to mousing over and ctrl-clicking everything. And unless i'm a tactical genius (unlikely), the AI could use some more work

You get to tweak your army at the start, but a portion of your units are autoselected for you - even in skirmish, which I found a little odd. Graphics and sound are nothing to write hime about. and with only one sound for shooting, fighting and fleeing I soon muted it all.

If you have a friend to play with, maybe the not-removed-from-inventory version is something for you. As it stands, I'd hold off on buying this until it's on a 50% sale or better.
A 50% sale on this ? You will probably need to wait until hell freezes first. The publisher is a known bunch of jews. Their games rarely if ever get discounted even after a long time after release and many have rather high asking prices at the start.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Then don't buy it because it's not worth the current asking price :shrug:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Sure, i was just commenting on your advice to wait for a "50% sale or better". It is unrealistic imho.
Also i wouldn't call it "not worth the current price" for one reason and one reason only. It is a wargame set in 16 and 17th centuries - for some reason this period is not popular among wargame makers (and players ?). Medieval, ancient or 18th century and later are all periods more often used as basis for wargames. This makes this game valuable for people interested in the period.
I agree with your assessement from your first post on the game itself.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I bought it, despite the asking price, just because I'm a fan of the period, 16th-17th centuries.

- It's pretty gamey and abstracted, I'd prefer something that at least resembles a simulation, like Waterloo - Napoleon's Last Battle or Austerlitz - Napoleon's Greatest Victory.
- However, it's pretty difficult. It took me a day to defeat the French in the Fornovo scenario.
- Unfortunately, the abstract rules combined with ugly graphics and amateurish sound effects made it feel more like work than a game for me, so I tried a couple of other scenarios and dropped it. It's collecting dust in my steam library now. I'm not a graphics whore, but this game looks horrific and sounds worse than that. I've somewhat mitigated it with graphics post-processing and a custom 16th century playlist that I had made for playing Europa Universalis, but it still didn't help much. I need to feel at least somewhat immersed in a game.
- I don't regret buying it, but most people just looking for a decent wargame would probably end up regretting it.

Last edited:

Kuattro

Augur
I don't have a lot to add other than say thay you people could have warned me that I couldn't play Pavía, San Quintín nor Nordlingen as the spaniards (ok Imperials in Nordlingen, if you must). I've never been as butthurt as I am right now. I'm even considering a refund. Of course the people who made the game had to be from Luxembourg. Blasted frenchies everywhere. Rocroi you do get to play as the winning side, obviously.

Anyway, right now it's 40% off, which, this being a Slitherine game, is probably as good as it's going to get. A fun little wargame, not very complicated, and comes with a good editor so there's a lot of extra content.

It's a nice buy.

Unless you're spanish of course, then skip it. Have a little pride for fuck's sake.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I couldn't play Pavía, San Quintín nor Nordlingen as the spaniards
*snip*
Blasted frenchies everywhere.
*snip*
It's a nice buy.

Unless you're spanish of course, then skip it. Have a little pride for fuck's sake.
Duly noted :salute:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought it, despite the asking price, just because I'm a fan of the period, 16th-17th centuries.

- It's pretty gamey and abstracted, I'd prefer something that at least resembles a simulation, like Waterloo - Napoleon's Last Battle or Austerlitz - Napoleon's Greatest Victory.
- However, it's pretty difficult. It took me a day to defeat the French in the Fornovo scenario.
- Unfortunately, the abstract rules combined with ugly graphics and amateurish sound effects made it feel more like work than a game for me, so I tried a couple of other scenarios and dropped it. It's collecting dust in my steam library now. I'm not a graphics whore, but this game looks horrific and sounds worse than that. I've somewhat mitigated it with graphics post-processing and a custom 16th century playlist that I had made for playing Europa Universalis, but it still didn't help much. I need to feel at least somewhat immersed in a game.
- I don't regret buying it, but most people just looking for a decent wargame would probably end up regretting it.

This, but if I cared about the expense I would actually regret purchasing it. I got it at a reduced price because I owned the original version and there was some sort of sale. I would advise against the purchase unless you're a big fan of the time period. If you do really love the time period, also take a look at the thirty years was Ageod game, but I haven't played that one.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
I have 11 hours to make a decision and dont know what to do. I already have too many games but none set in this period.

ColCol

Arcane
I have been waiting to play it for a while. So I said fuck it and bought. Have not played it yet. I will never pay full price for a matrix game.

Beowulf

Arcane
I have been waiting to play it for a while. So I said fuck it and bought. Have not played it yet. I will never pay full price for a matrix game.

Sound policy. I'm on the same page, regarding their business practices.

I bought it as well, played through the tutorial. The ruleset is simple, it looks like it will be a good title for short PBEM's (on that note - anyone interested in playing one?).

ColCol

Arcane

I bought it as well, played through the tutorial. The ruleset is simple, it looks like it will be a good title for short PBEM's (on that note - anyone interested in playing one?).

Give me a week or so and I will be down.

Beowulf

Arcane

Give me a week or so and I will be down.

Ok, just hit me with a PM then, please.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
I said fuck it and bought it also.

Not disappointed so far. It's not much to look at, but goddamn this game is hard. I had trouble finishing the tutorial. Can't remember the last time I actually had to think playing a wargame.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Battle of Novara and that damn useless rabble that dare to call themselves pikemen:argh:.

Next time I go full skirmisher & fast cavalry.

Beastro

Arcane
Sure, i was just commenting on your advice to wait for a "50% sale or better". It is unrealistic imho.
Also i wouldn't call it "not worth the current price" for one reason and one reason only. It is a wargame set in 16 and 17th centuries - for some reason this period is not popular among wargame makers (and players ?). Medieval, ancient or 18th century and later are all periods more often used as basis for wargames. This makes this game valuable for people interested in the period.
I agree with your assessement from your first post on the game itself.

You can see why when the period is dominated by the slow moving groups of pikemen and highly expensive armies that avoided pitched battle with generals that preferred siege and counter siege until one side ran out of money.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Let's have a look at modding - Part I

by AlbertoC » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:25 pm

There is something we at Slitherine truly hold dear, something which greatly increases replayability and allows players to expand the boundaries of any game: modding.

We always try to give you the tools to mod our games, as well as the know-how. Thanks to that, over the years we have published several games whose modding communities truly flourished. We’ll have a look at those games, starting with Pike & Shot: Campaigns.

Since its release, Pike & Shot has been built upon, expanded, improved with a series of DLCs. First it was From Tercio to Salvo. Then it was Campaigns. And then, the free expansion Le Roi Soleil. Eventually we bundled everything in a new title, Pike & Shot: Campaigns, a huge game to represent any kind of battle from the 15th century up to the early 18th century. Since then, it has achieved a true cult status, being considered by the press one of the best wargames ever made, and managing to truly capture the miniature wargaming feeling.

In the meanwhile, an extremely dedicated fan base has been mastering the editor and has created a staggering number of custom made scenarios and mods. We are talking of over one hundred scenarios made by players, as well as many other campaigns, army lists, mods, and so on.

Let’s have a look at a few select ones, all of them a great mix of historically accurate orders of battle and balanced and exciting gameplay. And don’t forget to visit the forum to check the complete list of downloadable scenarios and mods, as well as numerous useful tutorials on modding. All these scenarios can be downloaded easily in game!

Narva 1700 (author: Paul59)

narva.jpg

A huge scenario, recreating the epic battle between Charles XII of Sweden and the army of Tsar Peter of Russia under the command of Charles Eugène de Croÿ. It features Narva’s snowy battlefield, new graphics and tons of unique units.

Cotes Bridge 1644 (author: Warlord156)

bridge.jpg

The English Civil War is raging as the Parliamentarians face the Royalists at Cotes Bridge. Control of the bridge is vital in this extremely tactical battle.

Bosworth 1485 (author: Odenathus)

bosworth.jpg

It’s time for the Wars of the Roses! Two late medieval armies face each other on the field of Bosworth, a battle which will determine the fate of the crown of England. Lead Richard III’s forces and save his throne – or die in the attempt.

There are many, many more scenarios. Entire wars have been fully represented.

Paul59 created 14 excellent scenarios for the Nine Years’ War aswell as 6 on the Great Northern War, Odenathus focused on the Jacobite Rebellion and made 3 really nice scenarios for it, while nikdav concentrated his efforts on the Ottoman Wars and made 5 scenarios!

But Pike & Shot isn’t just battles. It’s also… campaigns!

Suleiman’s European Campaign (author: Paul59)

ottoman.jpg

It’s the first half of the 16th century and the Ottoman Empire is launching major invasions into Europe. The Turkish forces of Suleiman the Magnificent are bolstered by their Moldavian, Wallachian and Tatar vassals, while Hungary will be sustained by the Holy Roman Empire, the Polish-Lithuanian crown and the Transylvanian princes in this multiethnic campaign with a plethora of national armies ready to take the field.

The Wars of the Roses (author: Paul59)

roses.jpg

Lancaster against York in a dynastic struggle for the crown of England. Which house will prevail? This campaign brings Pike & Shot back to the late medieval era.

And now… mods!

Extra Nations v2 (author: Paul59)

Now this one is just huge. It adds a massive number of accurately researched playable army lists, both in the Campaign and Skirmish mode, with new unit graphics to match. Do you want the list? Irish, Anglo-Irish, Portuguese, Moroccans, Algerians, Dulkadir Emirate, Lithuanians, Moldavians, early Safavid Persians, White Sheep Turcomans, Uzbeks, the Khanate of Kazan, Crimean Tatars, Burgundians, the Monmouth Rebellion, Teutonic Knights, endless national peasant armies, Georgians, the Mamluks, Williamite in Ireland, Scots Williamites and Covenanters, Border Reivers, Bavarians, Prussians, Saxons, Wallachians, Zaporozhian Cossacks, Venetians and Savoyards!

Impressive, right?

Four Seasons (author: adebar)

No, I’m not talking of Vivaldi’s classical music. This gorgeous mod adds four different graphical sets, to set your battles in any season you’d like. Note: unlike the scenarios and the campaigns, you can’t download this one in game. If you’d like to try it, click on the link and follow the installation instructions.

That's it, for now. There are more, wonderful scenarios and mods for Pike & Shot - we only had limited space and we picked a few, but we'll go back to this game in the future and cover more scenarios, no doubt about that. We'll also feature the modding communities of other games. But for now, we'd like to thank all the modders and scenario makers of Pike & Shot. Thank you guys, you are all fantastic and you made the game even more special!

One more thing! We are gathering feedback on the modding experience in the Slitherine family, so if you have a few minutes and are willing to answer to a short survey, please click here and take part in the discussion
icon_smile.gif
thank you.
AlbertoC
Slitherine
logo_forum.jpg

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Finally decided to give this one a try. Love it. Great mechanics that at least mimic something of the uncertainty of warfare in the era. Do find the campaign mechanics somewhat lacking though. I'll just keep on dreaming of the day an Ageod like campaign comes with battle mechanics as great as this.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2244/Pike.and.Shot.Battle.of.Lepanto.Mod.is.Out!

Pike and Shot Battle of Lepanto Mod is Out!
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 by Marcello Mariani

Type: News

Pike and Shot has been expanded ever since release, with 'official' DLCs, but even more with expansions and mods created by the passionate community around it.

Today we want to do a shout out in particular for jomni, the creator of this fantastic mod and developer of Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun.

lepanto.jpg

For the first time ever in Pike & Shot this new user-created content lets you play naval battles set around one of the most crucial clashes of the 16th century.

Download it to experience the iconic naval battle between Christianity and the Ottoman Empire, trying out new game features specifically designed for this scenario! Command galleys, galleasses and galiots in an epic battle which will determine the fate of the Mediterranean Sea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom