Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
At first the tokens weren't appealing, but seeing the latest gameplay video, it's growing on me.
I haven't played the first game but I'm looking forward to this one very much because the classes are a lot more developed and you have more options versus the (three?) that I saw in KotC. Is it still worth playing?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At first the tokens weren't appealing, but seeing the latest gameplay video, it's growing on me.
I haven't played the first game but I'm looking forward to this one very much because the classes are a lot more developed and you have more options versus the (three?) that I saw in KotC. Is it still worth playing?

Y E S
E
S

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

Y E S
E
S
Reading back over my post I think that was a stupid question. I guess what I really wanted to know was how the existence of only the three character choices affects the game. When I make parties I don't often do things like have two fighters or two wizards, doing otherwise feels redundant.

Dorateen

Arcane
You can make one fighter a tank/melee type and a second fighter more dexterity based, for dual wielding or range. So there's some variety there. I had a cleric in the party but went for a more offensive approach, like a battle priest rather than a support caster.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Or go 3 wizards, 1 cleric, and have a literal blast, with 90% of encounters ending without the enemies making an attack roll. 2 wiz 2 cleric is probably the ideal composition though, due to some obnoxious endgame enemies that are really only vulnerable to Harm and the postgame fight where getting some high level buffs online ASAP is pretty important.

But sure, fighters are great if you like watching enemies attack you. A lot.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I went:

Wizard
Cleric
Fighter
Fighter

The only real -REQUIREMENT- is that you need one mage in your party. I am not certain you can beat the game without a mage.

Cleric and Mage are clearly useful classes for obvious reasons but I had the most fun with my melee characters. Dual-wielding is very good and two handed weapons deal mega one-shots.

Dual-wielding Fighter: bastard sswords + unarmed for grappling - bastard swords are oversized weapons that can be used with one hand with the correct talents. makes for a hard hitting dual-wielding character. Add some multi-hit and cleave feats and you have a slap-chop in the party.

Two-handed Fighter: 2h axes plus bow for status effects - as mentioned great for big one-hit damage (two in later game), plus utility of grappling to disable targets

Some toughts for melee characters:

Bows are useful for status effects only in mid to late game. They deal terrible damage, but the status effects make up for it. Good as a secondary skill, the status effects saved my bacon more than a few times.
Unarmed for melee characters is no good for melee damage at any point. There are no equipable items that modify unarmed damage output, leaving grappling as the only truly useful purpose for unarmed melee.

Makes me want to play again...

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Sounds like it's missing a lot of character creation and class features that I'm used to in Temple, but I'll try to get around to it eventually. The encounter design sounds very appealing.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Or go 3 wizards, 1 cleric, and have a literal blast, with 90% of encounters ending without the enemies making an attack roll. 2 wiz 2 cleric is probably the ideal composition though, due to some obnoxious endgame enemies that are really only vulnerable to Harm and the postgame fight where getting some high level buffs online ASAP is pretty important.

But sure, fighters are great if you like watching enemies attack you. A lot.

Disagreed. That looks like a fucking joyless play-through.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Sounds like it's missing a lot of character creation and class features that I'm used to in Temple, but I'll try to get around to it eventually. The encounter design sounds very appealing.

The character system, itemization and item crafting in Temple are better. The combat feedback is on par in KoTC. Combat speed/animation speed is infinitely better in KoTC. The encounter design is way better in KoTC.

Let me put it this way... if you love the combat in Temple, there is only one game that will scratch the same itch, and that is KoTC. For a predecessor, try Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. I envy you if you haven't played KoTC, you should do so immediately.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet

The character system, itemization and item crafting in Temple are better. The combat feedback is on par in KoTC. Combat speed/animation speed in KoTC is infinitely better in KoTC. The encounter design is way better in KoTC.

Let me put it this way... if you love the combat in Temple, there is only one game that will scratch the same itch, and that is KoTC. For a predecessor, try Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. I envy you if you haven't played KoTC, you should do so immediately.
I've probably replayed Temple around a dozen times and once Sitra blesses it with prestige classes I will likely have a few more easily. For me it comes from how diverse the character/party creation is, after that I treat it as a combat simulator. Not to mention Co8 converting Icewind Dale over to superior turn based combat.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Character customization isn't that great in KOTC - Fighters are 3.5 Fighters in a game that goes up to the higher levels, Clerics are worse than their actual P&P counterparts due to the removal of aspects like Domains though they still have a niche while Wizards actually come out pretty solid.

Party composition essentially comes down to how much you would like to gimp yourself by including more than 1 fighter or vice versa by including more than 1 Wizard.

Severian Silk

Six player characters would have been better. You don't have to make choices like, "I want one rogue in my party but it's going to gimp the whole team."

Also, only hipster mobile games limit you to four characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Six player characters would have been better. You don't have to make choices like, "I want one rogue in my party but it's going to gimp the whole team."

I direct argument against this would be, having lower headcount poses a challenging question of whether to have more firepower or have an utility character on your party. A six man party is usually enough to do everything, at least the following conventional rpg classes.

Severian Silk

More likely the lower headcount means half the classes will never get used by anyone, and end up being a total waste of the developer's time to implement.

Severian Silk

In which case the developers didn't waste time implementing the remaining classes. What's your point?

Waterd

Augur
This whole thing makes me said because I get the distinct feeling that even if he successfully finished KotC 2 it's going to end up being a huge disappointment. It really does seem like he doesn't understand how good KotC was while simultaneously failing to understand how bad BotS was which means, basically, he's the luckiest fucker to ever luckbox a lucky classic game. This also means he'd have to multiply that luck by a million bazillion in order for KotC 2 to be even just as good as the original, let alone better.
First time i see this thread and KOTC2 is the only RPG im looking for.
Sadly I agree, I don't have hope in KOTC2. I think the developer is crazy. And no It has nothing to do with him being an ancap, I'm an ancap myself. I still think he is crazy (And his book is really really bad)
Someone that even think that RTS (Which I played) can be even considered a decent game...is lacking some players in that team inside his head.

Waterd

Augur
ON KOTC:
You can't beat the game without a Cleric AND a wizard in Ironman for sure. You need at least one of each, you can fill the other 2 spots as you wish.
If you are willing to Spam rest, Knights are pointless, just get wizards and clerics. But if you limit your rests (i only use each campfire once), Having a knight is almost mandatory.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
BTW, update from October 29:

Pierre said:
icon_redface.gif
Ahaha... yes I know it's been ages since my last proper update, sorry. But I do have an excuse, I moved from the UK to Bulgaria in late September. And then I've been looking for a place to buy or rent (I'm still looking for a place to buy). But, I'm still working on KotC 2, of course.

Recently, I re-introduced the spell icons in a similar style to that of KotC 1. So there is a switch in the game options. You can either display your spell book using the spell names or using the spell icons. And then, I've been working on coup-de-grace, getting the game to display the chance of it killing the target, re-implementing the 'sleep' animation, re-implementing the wake-up ally action, making sure the AI uses it... I'm going to need more time for a nice proper update.

Thank you for your continuing interest
icon_e_smile.gif

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe he can hook up with Julian Gollop. Bulgaria - the Thailand of game developers?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom