Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
He says users can easily change the images used for the token graphics.

Now, if you can only mod out the "temple of chromatic evil"..

Revenant

There is a gameplay video out:

I hope Pierre switches to animated sprites at some point because otherwise the game looks very uninteresting.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Oh my...
This switch to a true top down w/ token is the best news ever. I never could get into KotC I because of that fucking horrible faux ultima style but this, shit, gimme!! :)

Revenant

Fuck your tabletop, when I play a computer game I want it to look like a computer game.

Revenant

But I want to play it, since KotC was the perfect computer adaptation of OGL rules and KotC2 shouldn't fail in this regard either. The only thing Pierre had to do was keep the original U6/U7 style graphics (which I think look super-cool, personally), but no, he had to redo everything because of the delusions of grandeur or whatever.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I like the table-top view much better (but then again I have played table-top). MANY people just did not like the whole U7 view (and that I can understand).

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
MANY people just did not like the whole U7 view (and that I can understand).
I sure didn't, but this is even worse. If it's about moving tokens on a grid and having a tactical fight against a superior AI, I might as well play this :
go-game.jpg

I hear recent AI is almost unbeatable.

Holy shit that looks fucking great!

Honestly had little hope for this project because Pierre seems like he's, at best, a very tiny bit more sane/self-aware than Cleve, but this trailer gives me great hope. Will be following this project with renewed interest. I know that he's got plans for extensive mod support, but I'm wondering if Pierre's said anything about local multiplayer modes?
Never thought I'd ask such a question, and just the act of it makes me feel a little dirty.

V_K

Arcane
I'm all for top-down perspective but why couldn't he go with the traditional Exile-style sprites? Or at least Warhammer Quest-like ones?

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
As programmer, that kind of 2D top-down token display is perfect to develop the game mechanics (which are pretty complex in D&D 3.5e) since the loading times are fast and you don't have to struggle how to add new display elements to the game. So, his approach is definitely pretty clever in my book because it's a typical indie mistake to delay the development until a talented artist is willing to create awesome art for free.

I guess, at the end, Pierre will consider to create a modification system that allows artists to replace those tokens with sprites or even 3D models. I am sure, he is aware of the fact, that KotC II would also profit from retro stylish visuals mimicking Ultima 7 or Gold-Box art.

Alex

Arcane
As programmer, that kind of 2D top-down token display is perfect to develop the game mechanics (which are pretty complex in D&D 3.5e) since the loading times are fast and you don't have to struggle how to add new display elements to the game. So, his approach is definitely pretty clever in my book because it's a typical indie mistake to delay the development until a talented artist is willing to create awesome art for free.
(snip...)

The graphics in the previous game looked way better, though.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My tabletop sessions have better graphics than this does. Tokens are fucking lazy, especially the fugly ones he uses. At least go for minis.

oscar

Arcane
I don't even usually like the Ultima style but it worked well for KotC and looked good while remaining tactically clear. Tokens feel cheaper and visually it seems like KotC2 is an actual downgrade from the first game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom