Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pickpocket?

OlSheep

Novice
Greetings,

I'd like to begin this post by saying that I've just ordered a full version :wink: . I can't wait to receive my copy.

[edit]: Great, I've just discovered the FAQ thread and it answered most of my questions :oops: . I guess I should delete this but, hey, I'm so glad I bought the game, might as well share the thought heh.

Wolf Mittag

Wolf Mittag Software Development
Developer
Hello OlSheep,
wow, thank you!
I just shipped your Full Version CD and hope you'll receive it soon.

As to Pickpocketing, for all who come to this new thread hoping for information on this, I've copied what I'd written in the Q&A thread you referred to:

--------------------------------------

You can learn the pickpocket skill at any time during the game, from from the bard in Heremod's Hall - provided that you know he's got this skill. You're told about this by the henchman wearing a blue shirt. Since you may fight a duel against this henchman, it's a good idea to talk to him before you fight him.

However, pickpocketing generally isn't worth it anyway; it was considered unGermanic and cowardly: A real man would commit decent armed robbery instead of secretly stealing...

--------------------------------------

BTW, people's clothes back than actually did not have any pockets (these were invented only centuries later). Instead, one would place personal stuff onto one's belt. (Of course one might steal it from there.)

Yet stealing was something most Teutons would have been quite ashamed of doing. (Consequently, in Teudogar you lose Charisma when you steal.) There's an anecdote of a Viking robber who was able to steal his victim's possessions while his victim was sleeping. On leaving the house, this robber felt so ashamed of the cowardness of his act that he returned, woke up his victim, told him what he'd just done, and challenged him to fight with him for his possessions. Now that was the decent thing to do.

Indoeuropean culture (Teutons, Romans, Greeks, Indians, Persians as opposed to, say, Egyptians or Chinese) generally had a bias for violence and manliness. Etymologically, the word "to steal" ("stehlen" in German) is probably not indoeuropean, but may have been taken from the language of a people defeated by Indoeuropeans when these settled in Europe. Typically, however, both "to rob" ("rauben" in German) and "to rape" ARE original indoeuropean words, and were considered to be quite manly things to do... (though of course not to members of one's own clan / tribe)

OlSheep

Novice
Wolf Mittag said:
I just shipped your Full Version CD and hope you'll receive it soon.

Admirable! Dealing with an indie developer like this is quite refreshing, really. Considering the things I've read here, your dedication to your games and to your fanbase is something many companies could learn from. Oh, and, good job turning this noob thread into something interesting :mrgreen: .

Can't wait to play the game (and shamefully lose a lot of charisma hehe)!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom