Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
because this may lead to other devs making Xcom-like games.

tenor.gif

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Xenonauts 2 looks more Xcom 2 than PP to be honest :-D

Yeah bro wow they look so similar, I wouldn't have known they were different games if you hadn't mentioned it.

xenonauts-2-0117-03.jpg

xcom-2-ps4.jpg

Xenonauts 2 sure looks so much like nuseXCUM2.

Mazisky

Magister
The many demo gameplays i've seen, expecially maps, looked like a Xcom2 Ripoff. I meant ahestetically of course

Biomes, props, fences, streets, cliffs....they look almost identical. Do you need glasses udm ?

xenonauts2_temperate_biome.jpg

xenonauts2_desert_biome.jpg

xenonauts2_boreal_biome.jpg

Mazisky

Magister
Question of tastes. Xenonauts 1 and 2 (expecially 1) look pretty dull and bland to me. One of the worst artstyle i've ever seen. And i play games since '93.

udm

Arcane
Patron
The many demo gameplays i've seen, expecially maps, looked like a Xcom2 Ripoff. I meant ahestetically of course

Biomes, props, fences, streets, cliffs....they look almost identical. Do you need glasses udm ?

I sure as hell need the ones you're wearing.

Mazisky

Magister
Xenonauts 2 looks more Xcom 2 than PP to be honest :-D
Question of tastes. Xenonauts 1 and 2 (expecially 1) look pretty dull and bland to me. One of the worst artstyle i've ever seen. And i play games since '93.
[INT9] But wouldn't that mean that XCOM 2 looks dull and bland?

Your logic is almost as good as Bethesda's ;)

Xcom 2 doens't look good either.

But Xeno 1 is pretty worse.

Ufo defense style and mood is still better than both.

Mustawd

Biomes, props, fences, streets, cliffs....they look almost identical.

Um....all you did was post three Xenonauts 2 maps in a row....not quite sure I understand your comparison. Why don't you post a XCOM2 map side by side with a Xeno 2 map? Cuz right now, I think we're all thoroughly confused on what you're talking about.

Mazisky

Magister

Biomes, props, fences, streets, cliffs....they look almost identical.

Um....all you did was post three Xenonauts 2 maps in a row....not quite sure I understand your comparison. Why don't you post a XCOM2 map side by side with a Xeno 2 map? Cuz right now, I think we're all thoroughly confused on what you're talking about.

Sure.

The generator system is identical, "Temperate\Snow\Desert" with the same props and 2 levels with cliffs.

xenonauts2_temperate_biome.jpg

3586n4l.jpg

If you negate the evidence just to defend your game (from what tho?) i can't do anything about.
But i guess in random gaming boards its difficult to find someone mature enough to admict things.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I am following this thread and have no idea what Mazinsky is trying to say, or who is defending against what.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Sure.

The generator system is identical, "Temperate\Snow\Desert" with the same props and 2 levels with cliffs.

Ok fair enough comparison there, though I still don't think the majority of XCOM2 even remotely resembles what Xenonauts 2 has shown so far.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
UnstableVoltage

There is an ETA for the next update? Latest is from Xmas and the demo didn't show so much. I'd like some news about enemies, mutations, classes and maybe the Geoscape. Thanks.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
UnstableVoltage

There is an ETA for the next update? Latest is from Xmas and the demo didn't show so much. I'd like some news about enemies, mutations, classes and maybe the Geoscape. Thanks.

The next update (probably in March) is most likely just going to be showing stuff from the demo. There might be some more concept stuff to show. We don't want to show too much though. We want to avoid doing what Firaxis did, basically showing the entire alien roster before the game even came out. It's just been so hectic with getting ready for our first public event, getting the demo ready, and working on the pre-alpha at the same time. Updates will start to come more regularly now there's a bit of a crunch break.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
There might be some more concept stuff to show. We don't want to show too much though.
Yes, I can understand that. I'm just impatient to learn a few more details about the game because, until now, we haven't see much more than that shown during the FIG campaign (which wasn't so much).

luinthoron

Learned
Looks like they have another video up on Facebook where they do a better job at explaining things, including movement after shooting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Looks like they have another video up on Facebook where they do a better job at explaining things, including movement after shooting.
This is same video that was posted earlier but now I got some new comments about it.
UnstableVoltage in this video I noticed one problem right away, changing weapons changes how much you can move before firing. That means that many many players will either need to cycle weapons to see how much they can move with each or they will have wrong one selected, move too much and then not be able to still fire. Current UI is pretty bad for this. You need to add that players can mouse over other weapon and movement range for them will be shown so it is not needed to click and rotate them all the time. Also don't have a rotating UI, let us select directly what we want to use (leave rotating menu for console version or something). Current UI looks made for consoles, not PC.

2nd, I find it funny that shooting a rocket takes so little TU, I hope that is because these Jericho guys got some cool high tech launchers. I hope game has multiple rocket launchers and that the big ones take more TU to fire and restrict movement more (also fire bigger rocket that do more damage).

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
This is same video that was posted earlier but now I got some new comments about it.
UnstableVoltage in this video I noticed one problem right away, changing weapons changes how much you can move before firing. That means that many many players will either need to cycle weapons to see how much they can move with each or they will have wrong one selected, move too much and then not be able to still fire. Current UI is pretty bad for this. You need to add that players can mouse over other weapon and movement range for them will be shown so it is not needed to click and rotate them all the time. Also don't have a rotating UI, let us select directly what we want to use (leave rotating menu for console version or something). Current UI looks made for consoles, not PC.

2nd, I find it funny that shooting a rocket takes so little TU, I hope that is because these Jericho guys got some cool high tech launchers. I hope game has multiple rocket launchers and that the big ones take more TU to fire and restrict movement more (also fire bigger rocket that do more damage).
It's not the same video, it's actually a different one.

I agree about having to have the correct piece of equipment selected to avoid over-moving. It's something that I have already brought up, and the dev team are aware of it. That said, the UI is always a constant work in progress - every time you add/change a feature or mechanic, the UI has to change to support that.

You can actually directly select the item by clicking on it - but the game is also built with controller support, hence why there's an option to cycle. As there are only 3 items, it's going to take a maximum of 2 key/button presses to get to every other item on the wheel.

I believe the reason the HMG takes so long to fire is because it has to spool up, and then fire a large burst. The NJ rocket launcher is essentially hands-free.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It's not the same video, it's actually a different one.

I agree about having to have the correct piece of equipment selected to avoid over-moving. It's something that I have already brought up, and the dev team are aware of it. That said, the UI is always a constant work in progress - every time you add/change a feature or mechanic, the UI has to change to support that.

You can actually directly select the item by clicking on it - but the game is also built with controller support, hence why there's an option to cycle. As there are only 3 items, it's going to take a maximum of 2 key/button presses to get to every other item on the wheel.

I believe the reason the HMG takes so long to fire is because it has to spool up, and then fire a large burst. The NJ rocket launcher is essentially hands-free.
Ok, but mouse over showing moving range will be important (or some other way to show it to players); we veterans will be irritated by needing to click and rotate all the time to see movement range, but casuals are going to miss move all the time and blame the game.

As for that rocket launcher, aiming with it should be hard unless it has a guidance system that locks on instantly. Currently it looks it fires faster than assault rifles that soldiers can shoot in less than one 1s in RL if they are ready.
EDIT: In a combat zone if doing one move only soldiers will be having their weapons on the shoulder ready for point shooting and then aiming with it is almost no time to trained soldiers.

EDIT2: also I hope heavy gun gets a better sound, what it fires now sounds weak. Something loud like that shoulder Chain Machine Gun from Predator 1 :)

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
You can actually directly select the item by clicking on it - but the game is also built with controller support, hence why there's an option to cycle.

official survey result said:
How important is it to have controller support on PC? 1.9

Julian Gollop said:
The bottom end of the table reveals that you clearly want the focus to be on a PC based, single player experience. It would definitely be wise of us to place our limited resources in this direction.
Yeah right good to see what you talk, an what you do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom