Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Mazisky

Magister
It may look like Xcom 2 but the settings and the overall mood is completely different. Also, the strategy layer is supposed to be entirely different.

I don't think that "UI looking like Xcom 2" and "similar game" are necessarely weak points, because at the moment we need more games like that.

HansDampf

Arcane
The blue neon techno style UI of nuXCOM is so bland. PP's UI is a slight improvement, but if it wants to differentiate itself from nuXCOM it's doing the worst possible job. Just look at the comments. Everything in the game looks like a ripoff. "Might as well play XCOM 2 again." That's what casual viewers are going to think, who don't follow this project closely or are seeing it for the first time. Julian should have talked more about the differences, the simluationist design approach. Explain how the AP system works, that bullets are simulated, that cover doesn't just reduce CTH by a fixed amount, etc., anything to show this isn't just XCOM. At least we could see some of the environmental destruction. But otherwise, this was a pretty boring presentation.

Cross

Arcane
The blue neon techno style UI of nuXCOM is so bland. PP's UI is a slight improvement, but if it wants to differentiate itself from nuXCOM it's doing the worst possible job. Just look at the comments. Everything in the game looks like a ripoff. "Might as well play XCOM 2 again." That's what casual viewers are going to think, who don't follow this project closely or are seeing it for the first time. Julian should have talked more about the differences, the simluationist design approach. Explain how the AP system works, that bullets are simulated, that cover doesn't just reduce CTH by a fixed amount, etc., anything to show this isn't just XCOM. At least we could see some of the environmental destruction. But otherwise, this was a pretty boring presentation.
What makes you think it wants to differentiate itself from XCOM (at least in terms of presentation)? It's obvious Gollop wants to piggyback on the success of nuXCOM, a level of success he never had with his own games. I doubt most nuXCOM players even played the original X-COM game and if they did, I doubt they cared for its more simulationist design.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Everyone? Speak for yourself buddy, not for everyone. Because you are 100% wrong by making such a bold and false claim.

I said that everyone that backed has a right to be surprised, I did not say that everyone who backed is surprised.
Once again (amidst how many times now!) you prove your nickname should be 85.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
The name of the game is Overwatch.

I was only using Overwatch because normally one of the crabmen triggers and runs along the bridge. You can take him out in a spectacular fashion. But as always, when the camera is rolling, it didn't happen. Even though, I could have only overwatched a couple more times. As your will power gets lower, you also run the risk of a panic.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The name of the game is Overwatch.

I was only using Overwatch because normally one of the crabmen triggers and runs along the bridge. You can take him out in a spectacular fashion. But as always, when the camera is rolling, it didn't happen. Even though, I could have only overwatched a couple more times. As your will power gets lower, you also run the risk of a panic.

My original comment was retarded. My actual complain is that the combat "tactic" seems to relay too much on "Overwatch" and "Return Fire" mechanics where the latter doesn't even consume a Willpower point.

From your video, it looks like the fight was won because you simply camped in the center of the map and not because you performed any flanking or other tactic maneuvers (except grenades/rockets for the Queen).

Also, the Sniper needs a grappling hook or some other ability to reach a higher position asap. I mean if you already implemented rocket jump for the Heavy then go full measure for the Sniper as well.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
My original comment was retarded. My actual complain is that the combat "tactic" seems to relay too much on "Overwatch" and "Return Fire" mechanics where the latter doesn't even consume a Willpower point.

From your video, it looks like the fight was won because you simply camped in the center of the map and not because you performed any flanking or other tactic maneuvers (except grenades/rockets for the Queen).

Also, the Sniper needs a grappling hook or some other ability to reach a higher position asap. I mean if you already implemented rocket jump for the Heavy then go full measure for the Sniper as well.

All fair points. We are a long way from finished though. There's also not the toughest of enemies (there's just a lot of them). If the crabman gunners had the armoured carapace mutation, the assault rifle would barely tickle them. Also, the crabman gunners don't have their own return fire in the demo, which they normally would. At the even this weekend, I actually saw someone get one of his own guys shot in the back with return fire. It does set up some pretty cool gunfire exchanges.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Everyone? Speak for yourself buddy, not for everyone. Because you are 100% wrong by making such a bold and false claim.

I said that everyone that backed has a right to be surprised, I did not say that everyone who backed is surprised.
Once again (amidst how many times now!) you prove your nickname should be 85.
No you put your focus on bashing a game in pre alpha with unfinished features for no reason but to show your tiny dick thinking you got more than 5in.
And tnx for giving me 85in, you should not have.. :P

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
The music from UnstableVoltage video was really good! Is that Broomhall?

It's actually Simeon Dotkov, our in-house sound designer and composer (he's also the voice of the crabmen!). Broomhall won't be joining the project until the later stages, so we're using Simeon's music for now (though personally, I hope that we can at least keep some of it).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's actually Simeon Dotkov, our in-house sound designer and composer (he's also the voice of the crabmen!). Broomhall won't be joining the project until the later stages, so we're using Simeon's music for now (though personally, I hope that we can at least keep some of it).

Ah okay, I'm guessing it's Broomhall inspired? Very atmospheric in the beginning of the video, later on it becomes more action orientated, but I really liked the first part.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
Ah okay, I'm guessing it's Broomhall inspired? Very atmospheric in the beginning of the video, later on it becomes more action orientated, but I really liked the first part.

The music is dynamic. There are two variations of the track, which switch between a high and low alert depending on the on-screen action (at least in the demo).

Mazisky

Magister
UnstableVoltage, i have a little question\concern.

I know that environments and all things related to them (assets, art, etc.) are very expensive, but i wonder if the game can provide a decent variation.

Oil Platforms and Industrial-like areas are have a nice mood but more variety is pretty much needed.

This is my biggest concern about the game.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
UnstableVoltage, i have a little question\concern.

I know that environments and all things related to them (assets, art, etc.) are very expensive, but i wonder if the game can provide a decent variation.

Oil Platforms and Industrial-like areas are have a nice mood but more variety is pretty much needed.

This is my biggest concern about the game.

You are going to see a lot of bases/Havens, as this is where most of the game's action takes places. There will, of course, be a number of different location variations to see - the maps will also be procedurally generated. Of course, we want to have as much variety as possible - but we are still a relatively small studio on a budget with a tight deadline.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I also noticed and really liked that music in the start of the mission.
I want more of that music and hope some of that stays in final game.

Mazisky

Magister
Do all the soldiers have the space marine aesthetic or just this new jericho faction?

Just new Jericho. They are sort of military faction, so heavy emphasis on weapon\armors.

Other 2 faction are quite different in both look and equipment

this is wat i got from infos, i think i am not wrong

The Fish

Arcane
UnstableVoltage I see the game takes control of the camera after orders are issued, is there any chance there'll be an option for the player to retain control? I often found it annoying in the the 3D XCOMs that after you've exhausted a solders orders the camera would suddenly jump to another soldier (usually not the one you want to give orders to), and follow moving characters. It was still possible to order two units to move simultaneously but the camera made it tough because it jumped around so much.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
UnstableVoltage I see the game takes control of the camera after orders are issued, is there any chance there'll be an option for the player to retain control? I often found it annoying in the the 3D XCOMs that after you've exhausted a solders orders the camera would suddenly jump to another soldier (usually not the one you want to give orders to), and follow moving characters. It was still possible to order two units to move simultaneously but the camera made it tough because it jumped around so much.

At the moment, the camera is very basic. It'll be far tighter when the game is finished. You will be able to turn off (or skip action cams). As for the other part of the question on the camera auto-switching between units - I honestly don't know - though it's a fairly stand way of doing things.

ArchAngel

Arcane

At the moment, the camera is very basic. It'll be far tighter when the game is finished. You will be able to turn off (or skip action cams). As for the other part of the question on the camera auto-switching between units - I honestly don't know - though it's a fairly stand way of doing things.
I would also love if there was an option to turn that autoswitch off. When we are playing zoomed out and have action cam turned off we don't want our camera to ever move except when we tell it to. Like it was in 1994 UFO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom