Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
The way that crab queen barreled through that huge tower without taking any damage answered my question about possible damage caused by debris.

Mustawd

Is there a video of the presentation?

Shit I missed it... If anyone finds the video later pls

UnstableVoltage posted this 2 weeks ago

At the very least, I will create some video footage from the demo for people who are unable to attend.

UnstableVoltage posted this 3 days ago

spark disiple said:

how long will the delay between it showing and you posting it?

Unable to say at this time. It won't be before Monday.

His youtube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/unstablevoltage

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yeah, it looks *really* similar to nuxcom. Would easily believe it was a total conversion of xcom2 from what they've shown so far.

This is not the victory we were promised.

Errr, not sure I follow. It was readily apparent they were gonna ape the hell out of nuXCOM's presentation from day 1. All the concept art, all the previous demo's, everything I've seen, suggested that it was important that it borrow heavily form X-com's UI, cinematic turn based style, etc.
Visual yeah but this demo also had: perfect accuracy nades, only one shot per turn.

Those are gameplay things with very un x-com feel to them.

Not to mention perfect knowledge of enemy hp.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i died a little inside when he jetpack'd one of his dudes right next to an alium and said "i'm not scared about this guy because he has heavy armour"

that's not how it's supposed to work :/

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like a grimdark version of Xcom 2. Kinda what I was expecting to be honest. Are the projectiles truly projectiles though? The lack of feedback from shots are a bit... lacking.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The lack of feedback from shots are a bit... lacking.

I think it's work in progress but yes, the lack of proper projectile tracers and impact visual representation/animation and blood was jarring. They should also find a way that some debris remain after a wall/building is leveled.

But it plays too much as XCOM.
This game will be known on the internet as the game that blatantly tried to reach success on nuXCOM's back like all those Diablo clones tried in the past.
That's why the other aspects of the game (geoscape simulation, factions, base management, enemy interception, in-game economy) should be really fleshed out and have true weight to them and complexity in the game.

If that video's aim was to show what traits this game has to distinguish itself from XCOM, it failed miserably.
It needs an in-depth video release to explain all the under the hood mechanics.

Last edited:

Mustawd

If that video's aim was to show what traits this game has to distinguish itself from XCOM, it failed miserably.

Not sure why there is some sentiment here that PP wants to be different than XCOM. To me PP was always marketed as "nuXCOM plus". Consider this:

1. Julian always constantly talks about how nuXCOM opened the doors for PP. Literally every interview I see him give he will mention this.
2. From the get go they adopted the AP system for obvious reasons. They want to capitalize on the familiarity people already have with nuXCOM.
3. Related to #2, if you want to capitalize on familiarity, why change it if it's not broken? People are mentioning how it apes nuXCOM's UI. Of course it does. Why change it drastically if familiarity is the goal?
4. One of the things Julian has said helped make turn based more palatable to modern audiences is the cinematic view that the nuXCOM games gave. Again, that is in PP and it serves to make it look more like nuXCOM.

Personally, I always expected this to ape nuXCOM heavily. But the tweaks and changes he's made to both the mechanics and the strategic layer give it a more x-com feel. To me anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, if it's supposed to be cinematic, I hope they do better than 1 nano second of cutscenes when someone fire or die. Had no idea what the hell was going on when it zoomed it.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
The first time I saw screens from PP I thought it was a mod for nuxcom 2 tbh.

Not keen on some of this stuff, but we'll see.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'll reserve my gameplay-related judgements till I see the strategy layer, faction system, tech trees and etc. It was pretty obvious that the actual combat would be similar to the new XCOMs from the very first video they showed a year ago so no point in acting surprised at it now. The non-combat elements are going to be the main difference makes here, I feel.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
i really hope the close ups every time you shoot are optional,they add nothing to the the game.
Would be pretty damn silly if the weren't, that's probably the no. 1 request everyone has.
Never underestimate a developers' desire to waste your goddamn time. Or maybe their own inexperience with actually playing games. Many seem to think of making it all appear cinematic and totally don't get how fucking annoying that is.
See nuxcom 2 for example... When it came out, there were lots of unskippable slow animations for everything. Insufferable. People immediately made a mod to fix that shit.

I guess Gollop may be less out of touch with the playerbase, but who knows. He was a gameplay first -kinda guy and the first x-com ufo defense had animation speed settings after all (or was that only in tftd?), but then again he's old now...

ArchAngel

Arcane
Guys, consider that the whole inventory system is not yet implemented. This is why combat looked a lot like nuXcom (only one rocket and one grenade, no ammo for weapons and such)

But what I have seen so far looks nice. But I knew what to expect from the start, a proper nuXcom game that fixes all the irritating design flaws of Firaxis attempt.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
showed a year ago so no point in acting surprised at it now.

Everyone that backed this game from the get go has a right to be surprised because nowhere in the pitch video there was actual combat gameplay to conclude they want to clone even the looks of XCOM.
Sure, the 2 action system was known but even the looks for fuck's sake?

vvr4ynos.b3b.png

hvm4aurt.pt4.png

And to top it all, it seems the walking grid had a different design altogether which means that one day someone there had the bright idea to CHANGE the UI to look more like the same as XCOM. Whoring 101.
If I were Jake Solomon and met Gollop I would say, "Dude, WTF! Do you have no decency?" :)

I really hope the close ups every time you shoot are optional,they add nothing to the game.

If Gollop's aim is to emulate XCOM so much, you would be able to disable the camera closeups (besides body parts targeting I guess) because XCOM had that option too :)

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can clearly see the influence of nuXCOM, especially UI-wise, but if the mechanics are solid... who cares? The presentation was never my problem with nuXCOMs

ArchAngel

Arcane
showed a year ago so no point in acting surprised at it now.

Everyone that backed this game from the get go has a right to be surprised because nowhere in the pitch video there was actual combat gameplay to conclude they want to clone even the looks of XCOM.
Sure, the 2 action system was known but even the looks for fuck's sake?
Everyone? Speak for yourself buddy, not for everyone. Because you are 100% wrong by making such a bold and false claim.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now the interview/demo is on PC Gamer Youtube channel:

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom