Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ArchAngel

Arcane
Good find. It looks like they are mixing individual leaders and squads, which reminds me of Age of Wonders.
I would be lying if I said I found it. People at rpgwatch did. Their news editor actually finds lots of news and new games every day.. unlike Infinitron :P
He spends too much time following Obsidian news outlets.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Goddamn I just want a NORMAL remake of classic X-Com.
With budgets, instead of crap "supplies" and shitty puzzle-like funding from X-Com EU.
With ability to lose several teams and still endure till the end.
Without Earth is occupied\devastated\cleansed\blasted.
SHIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
With budgets, instead of crap "supplies" and shitty puzzle-like funding from X-Com EU.

I assume you have tried OpenXcom?

Latelistener

Arcane
Openxcom is waiting.

06_scaling.png
They're also porting TftD.

L0JUeVw.png

mwnn85

Savant
I thought Xenonauts was completely mostly shit to be honest.
Like the look of the characters/artwork but the whole thing feels completely bland and boring - like xcom with all the fun & tension sucked out of it.
I don't think the new air combat added anything of value.
I thought it was better than UFO Aftershock (etc) but that's not exactly high praise.
I can't think of a single reason to play it over UFO/TFTD or even Incubation.
Maybe I should've gave it more time but it just didn't hook me in.
I don't think the cold war setting works and the combat felt sluggish - as opposed to the lethality of UFO/TFTD.

:bravo:
UFO/TFTD mixed with the 3D destruction that's possible in Silent Storm (or Red Faction Guerrilla) could be glorious incline.
Never going to happen now though is it? The average attention span must be less than 10 seconds.

I'm really enjoying Mordheim CotD atm.
Hoping they do a good job of Necromunda.

Last edited:

mwnn85

Savant
I know miss chances and the ballistic system - once added - should make the game seem a bit more dynamic.
But it's still a step back from the UFO/TFTD battlescape.
I've got a few reservations...

The half cover/full cover system is virtually a gaming staple nowdays - thanks to Firaxis/Gears of War.
It seriously limits where the player manoeuvres his units and makes it all play out like a puzzle game instead of a battle.
I much prefer the UFO/TFTD battlescape where cover has a chance of absorbing a shot & getting destroyed.
No silly damage reduction mechanics, etc.
You're either shot and killed or not shot at all. Admittedly the battles featured higher numbers of units.
To add to the above, I think this is one of the reasons why I disliked Xenonauts as well.
Will he be able to make Unity do something better than what we've already seen elsewhere?
I think better ballistics could end up on the chopping block :'(

Also the bog standard riflemen seems a bit obsolete initially.
He's got more movement but leaving him out of cover is a death sentence. His rifle and grenade are weaker than the heavy's minigun/rocket as well.
In the early battle footage shown it looked like hiding behind full cover, sniping and/or using the heavy's mini gun/rocket is going to be the quickest way of clearing the enemies.
Maybe I'm doing Julian a disservice - they might add an alien that could reflect ranged damage or absorb rockets.
And I suppose the shield limbs which the aliens grow might necessitate movement - we'll just have to see.
Not sure how they can balance out all the possible limb adaptions.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
RPG-explosion-1.gif

distructible cover should be a must

edit: or shooting through cover with small calibers will inflict only a fraction of the full damage due to bullet energy loss depending on the type of cover

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
DevGameClub podcast interview with Julian Gollop: http://www.devgameclub.com/blog/2017/10/18/dgc-ep-083-julian-gollop-interview

DGC Ep 083: Julian Gollop Interview

Welcome to this special bonus interview episode of Dev Game Club, where we welcome Julian Gollop into X-COM Base Provolone for a chat. We delve into the genesis of the game, how a publisher saved the game and itself, and many other topics surrounding the development of the game. Dev Game Club looks at classic video games and plays through them over several episodes, providing commentary.

Podcast breakdown:
0:41 Gollop Interview
1:05:20Break
1:05:50Next time

Issues covered: Julian's ludography, genesis of X-COM, adding isometric rendering, Microprose's demands of the Gollops, interceptions, bolting on a strategic layer atop the tactical model, having more intelligent aliens and reverse engineering, men in black not making it in, intrapublisher competition, tabletop boardgaming and influence, miniature wargaming, simultaneous movement games, division of labor, geoscape rendering, going to the pub with the producer, getting canceled and not knowing about it, being developed under the radar, QA standing up for the game, working in-house, seeing through the cruft, advancing the alien agenda (mission counts), scaling difficulty, game not being played through before ship, small QA team, adding a difficulty scaling system last-minute, the save game bug, enjoying a simulation of intelligence (of an alien nature), how the alien tech tree works, deployment tables for mission types, save-scumming, theorizing about the difficulty curve, difficulty as draw and happy accidents, "When gamers were gamers," QA as a critical team element, explicit research goals, research as storytelling, procedural generation of level tile placement, descriptions of Phoenix Point, 4X with a declining population, explicit story, the Phoenix Project.

Games, people, and influences mentioned or discussed: 2010, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Mythos Games, X-COM (series), Laser Squad, Lords of Chaos, RebelStar (series), Codo Technologies, Laser Squad Nemesis, UbiSoft, Snapshot Games, Microprose UK, Stephen Hand, Civilization, Gerry Anderson, UFO (TV series), Thunderbirds, Space: 1999, Alien Liaison, Timothy Good, Bob Lazar, Squad Leader, Sniper, SPI, RoboRally, John Reitze, Martin Smiley, Spectrum Holobyte, Chris Blohm, Final Fantasy IX, X-COM: Apocalypse, Phoenix Point, Dark Souls, John Broomhall, HP Lovecraft, Cthulhu, FIG, Fallout, Tim Cain, EA, Sid Meier, John Carpenter, The Thing, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Link Between Worlds, Wasteland II, The Evil Within.

luinthoron

Learned
New development update:
https://phoenixpoint.info/blog/2017/10/29/new-jericho-starts-to-take-shape

New Jericho Classes, Weapons and Vehicles
There are a lot of different things being worked on by the development teams at Snapshot Games right now. We wish we could show them all to you, but some will have to wait until next time.

In this update, we're going to take a look at some new designs for soldier classes, and some redesigns on existing models.

New Jericho
A lot of work is currently being done on the New Jericho faction. There's still some concept work happening, and some "first pass" 3D models are starting to form.

The Silhouettes
One of the important considerations when designing the look of characters is to make them distinct. The aim with Phoenix Point is to make each class (or enemy archetype) easily identifiable from their silhouette, regardless of faction.

Silhouette concepts for the Technician, Heavy, Assault, Sniper and Infiltrator.

Silhouettes

Silhouette concepts for the Technician, Heavy, Assault, Sniper and Infiltrator.

In trying to keep with the unique silhouettes of each class, different variations can be formed. Here are a number of different concept variations for the Technician Class.

Even though each design is different, the class is still identifiable from its silhouette.
Technician

Even though each design is different, the class is still identifiable from its silhouette.

Let's take a look at some first-pass models for the New Jericho classes. This is the stage where our 3D character modellers take the concept art and build static 3D models of it. These first-pass models still lack the fine details and textures, but give a good idea of the overall shape.

First-pass models for the New Jericho faction. Uniform, Assault, Sniper, Heavy and Technician.

NJ.png

First-pass models for the New Jericho faction. Uniform, Assault, Sniper, Heavy and Technician.

We can now take a look at the silhouettes for these classes and see that they're instantly identifiable by their basic shape.

New Jericho class silhouettes.

NJ+Silhouettes

New Jericho class silhouettes.

Just as a bonus, here's a New Jericho Heavy with a Jetpack. Notice how the helmet visor can also close.

The New Jericho Jetpack Heavy.

Jetpack+Heavy

The New Jericho Jetpack Heavy.

From here, the models go on to be rigged and then animated. Currently the team are working on the walking and running animations.

Run+Animation

Weapons
It's just as important for the weapons to be as identifiable as the classes. The player has to be able to see at a glance what they're up against. Each faction has a unique style and design to their weapons, but the basic shape should still be enough to tell what type of weapon it is.

Here are some concept images for the New Jericho Heavy Machine Gun. While each design is slightly different, they still retain the angular "Brutalist" look of the NJ weapons. Regardless of the variation, each is still recognisable as a the same weapon type.

New Jericho Heavy Machine Gun.

Machine+Gun

New Jericho Heavy Machine Gun.

Many different concepts are considered for every weapon of each faction, drawing from a variety of real-world and fantasy weapons for inspiration. Below you can see some of the concept ideas for the New Jericho Pistol.

New Jericho Pistol concepts.
NJ+Pistol

New Jericho Pistol concepts.

The modellers are also busy converting all of the approved concept designs into full 3D, as can be seen below with the New Jericho Sniper Rifle.

3D model of the New Jericho Sniper Rifle.
NJ+Sniper

3D model of the New Jericho Sniper Rifle.

We're also busy working on the visual effect concepts for each weapon type. This is another excellent way to identify which type of weapon is shooting your soldiers in the face.

For these concept images, please ignore that both effects seem to be coming from a rocket launcher - these are just placeholder assets being used for concept work.

Visual effect concept for the Flamethrower.

Flame+Thrower

Visual effect concept for the Flamethrower.

Visual effect concept for the Plasma Rifle.

Plasma

Visual effect concept for the Plasma Rifle.

Vehicles
The team have already started to create 3D models for some of the vehicles which will be usable in tactical combat. They serve both as combat units and troop transports. Below is a render of the New Jericho APC.

The New Jericho APC.

NJ+APC

The New Jericho APC.

Enemies
As a bonus to this update, we're also sharing a little information on the redesign work of some enemy types. Most of what you will have seen already will have either been early concept work, or the early 2017 prototype build which you may have seen on YouTube and various other sites. Many of the assets were placeholders, and even the custom ones were still in the very early stages and rough around the edges.

The Larva
You may remember these things from the "Kill the Queen" prototype scenario. These small, annoying creatures could be spawned by the Queen as long as her abdomen was intact. Here are some of the concept drawings for the redesign of this creature.

Concepts for the Larva redesign.

Larva

Concepts for the Larva redesign.

The Crabmen
Probably the most seen and most iconic of the enemy types we have shown so far are the Crabmen. While a few different mutations have already been seen within the prototype, a few changes are being made to the design to make them less human, more practical, and more creepy!

On of the first considerations was moving away from the very human looking head that the basic Crabmen had in the prototype. The redesign covers the eyes with a fleshy membrane, exposes the upper jaw, removes the lower jaw and adds some tendrils. On closer inspection, the human qualities this creature once possessed can be seen, but the Pandoravirus has really done a number on these poor, unfortunate souls.

The redesigned Crabman head.

Crabman+Head

The redesigned Crabman head.

Next came a redesign of the body itself. This time, trying to keep the creature humanoid, but again making it look less human. The claws have been redesigned, as has the shell, body and additional limbs. The leg to body ratio also sees a slight adjustment.

The updated Crabman design.

New+Crabman

The updated Crabman design.

Another major design overhaul for the Crabman is his shield mutation. In the prototype, the shield was little more than an inanimate chunk of shell which the Crabman would carry around, and could deploy as cover. The redesign sees the shield as a mutated claw - actually part of the creature itself. This is also an oversized, mutated but still functional pincer. Its design is also reminiscent of the toughest seashells.

The Crabman's new shield design.

Crabman+Shield

The Crabman's new shield design.

The Team
Two new developers joined the Snapshot Games team in October, each bringing their own unique experiences and talents with them.

placeholder

Yasen

UI/UX Artist

Yasen joins the team as a UI/UX artist with over 9 years experience. He's a big fan of games such as Half-Life, Shadow of the Colossus, Diablo, BioShock, Dead Space, Dishonored and Assassin's Creed.

Yasen is currently working on the functionality and visual appearance of the interface for Phoenix Point.

Alex+T

Alex T.

Game/Level Designer

Alexander joins the team as a level and game designer. He's previously worked on the Assassin's Creed series: Liberation, Rogue and Origins - all for Ubisoft.

Grand Theft Auto V, Fallout 2 and Tyranny are amongst Alex's favourite games.

Alex is also the lead singer in a Johnny Cash tribute band.

Alex is currently working on defining the unique look of the Phoenix Point factions and environments as a whole.

orcinator

Liturgist
I don't get why all Xcom clones are sci-fi when nobody haven't done a fantasy one yet

Because you can't make a nuxcom clone since the whole purpose of those is to never move forward and you can't make an X-com clone since it'll be even more tedious to move all those dudes around every turn.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer
One of the things we are working on as we refine the movement and turn system is game pace. We will be having larger squads that nuXCom, but we want the player not to have to micromanage each individual tile of movement, or constantly have to switch between soldiers and move a little at a time. We want players to just be able to commit to an action, and at the same time have the right UI information to eliminate the guess work (will I be in cover? will I have line of sight? will my grenade reach that far?).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
One of the things we are working on as we refine the movement and turn system is game pace. We will be having larger squads that nuXCom, but we want the player not to have to micromanage each individual tile of movement, or constantly have to switch between soldiers and move a little at a time. We want players to just be able to commit to an action, and at the same time have the right UI information to eliminate the guess work (will I be in cover? will I have line of sight? will my grenade reach that far?).
It reeks of X-Com Apocalypse real-time combat

Nostaljaded

Savant
One of the things we are working on as we refine the movement and turn system is game pace. We will be having larger squads that nuXCom, but we want the player not to have to micromanage each individual tile of movement, or constantly have to switch between soldiers and move a little at a time. We want players to just be able to commit to an action, and at the same time have the right UI information to eliminate the guess work
Seriously, have you guys look into the feasibility of having a 'turn order based on speed/initiative/some equivalent stat' like in Battle Brothers?
I think it's an improvement over 'aim to gangbang enemy before enemy gangbangs me', aka 'player-enemy turn order'.

It addresses some of the things you are looking at:
- Length of player's sequence will then be 1-3 units on average.

- A turn ends when all units completed their actions, so it can still be used for time-based events/triggers.

- Could consider implement a command(s) to change/disrupt the current-turn/next-turn sequence like 'Wait'/'Focused'/'Stats-Up-This-Turn,InitiativeDown-Next or its-reverse equivalent'/'SpecialAttacks-to-Delay-Enemy Sequence'
> This will restore some of the tactical possibilities (due to loss of player's turn in controlling the entire squad at 1 go) and possibly open up impromptu creative actions/C&C, without overwhelming player due to juggling a larger squad.

There is a good reference point on both systems by playing Battle Brothers and JA2 1.13 with a 10-man squad.
UI pointers will also be aplenty on Do's-and Don'ts while playtesting.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah I doubt this post is legitimate since Xenonauts is exactly that.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
The New Jericho APC.. someone in the crew likes Stance/VIP style tunning style (they are absolutely disgusting, btw). It reminds me of this:
0cd838989ab375236f9b7c79cb83a3ed.jpg

Send that person to reeducation camp ASAP please! When you add APC and FUTURE together, it should look closer to this:
apc3.jpg

Temesis

Arcane
Developer
Does Phoenix Point have (massively) destroyable environments a la original XCOM? What about yuge fires? :bounce: Just noticed this project while ranting about the new XCOM-games. It's hard not to get excited.

PanteraNera

Arcane
UnstableVoltage
bump
UnstableVoltage
So we know that the aliens will mutate when they are not effective but how is it determined that they are effective? If they manage to hurt the soldiers? By the player failing a mission? By killing Phoenix Point Soldiers (that one is unlikely as there are few of them as far as I hear)?

Also the only thing I am actually worried about is the budget.

Is it possible that the underwater battles (from the stretch goals) may later be added as an DLC/add-on?

Really hope that there will be ways (ingame or by config editing) to be able to turn off shadows, also I hope for DX9 support ;)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom