Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, Kickstarter fatigue is a big factor. Gollop would have raised a lot more money a couple of years ago.

Partially his fault tho.

It's clear he had no interest in making another Xcom game until he saw Firaxis made some money with it.

Pitching this even after the first one got released would have probably raised more money/interest than it did.

Mazisky

Magister
Yeah, Kickstarter fatigue is a big factor. Gollop would have raised a lot more money a couple of years ago.

Partially his fault tho.

It's clear he had no interest in making another Xcom game until he saw Firaxis made some money with it.

Pitching this even after the first one got released would have probably raised more money/interest than it did.

Also, he could have done a total different theme than sci-fi;

although lovecraft vibe is cool, if he did fantasy he could differentiate more from nuxcom and grab some casual too.

I don't get why all Xcom clones are sci-fi when nobody haven't done a fantasy one yet

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is also Massive Chalice which had a couple of cool ideas and is actually fun for a playthrough, but becomes repetitive after a while

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't get why all Xcom clones are sci-fi when nobody haven't done a fantasy one yet
A fairly central part of x-com is starting out outgunned and then researching your way to parity or even superiority. That fits better with a sci-fi game than fantasy, although the latter is not impossible.

luinthoron

Learned
A fairly central part of x-com is starting out outgunned and then researching your way to parity or even superiority. That fits better with a sci-fi game than fantasy, although the latter is not impossible.
That would be a fair point if Phoenix Point itself hadn't thrown this out of the window. Can't quite find the quote right now, but I do remember Gollop saying that you'll have technological superiority at first in this one.

Mazisky

Magister

If you mean old xcom, battle brothers is pretty close.

If you mean nu-xcom, there is Fort Triumph. I didn't like it.

Both lack a strategic layer, so they aren't comparable

There is also Massive Chalice which had a couple of cool ideas and is actually fun for a playthrough, but becomes repetitive after a while

Also, ugly art imho

I think t's doable if you focus a bit more on the rpg side and make leveling and looting important

mwnn85

Savant
I'd agree a fantasy version could be interesting although I'm rather glad that Pheonix Point is a spiritual sequel to Terror from the Deep.

Maybe make the technology advances a bit like Age of Empires / Civilization or something?
Caveman with club -> Knight with bow/swords -> Soldier with flintlock
Mix a bit of magic in.
A bit of a Mordheim theme.

I think it's feasible...maybe

Last edited:

Raapys

Arcane
It's already been done. It's called X-Piratez!, and it's the best X-Com version there is.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Creatures from the mist" is definitely a great setting hook. It's technically sci-fi but it couldn't be more different from cartoon aliens.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
That would be a fair point if Phoenix Point itself hadn't thrown this out of the window. Can't quite find the quote right now, but I do remember Gollop saying that you'll have technological superiority at first in this one.
Narrow tactical advantage of superior firepower probably doesn't mean much while you can't neutralise strategic threat of the mist.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A fairly central part of x-com is starting out outgunned and then researching your way to parity or even superiority.
That would be a fair point if Phoenix Point itself hadn't thrown this out of the window. I do remember Gollop saying that you'll have technological superiority at first in this one.
Narrow tactical advantage of superior firepower probably doesn't mean much while you can't neutralise strategic threat of the mist.
Not to mention the whole thing about the monsters is adaptation. You'll start off with shotguns that blow them to pieces, but they soon develop a carapace that deflects buckshot. Then you're fucked unless you build something new, gotta build up faster than they can adapt.

luinthoron

Learned
Not to mention the whole thing about the monsters is adaptation. You'll start off with shotguns that blow them to pieces, but they soon develop a carapace that deflects buckshot. Then you're fucked unless you build something new, gotta build up faster than they can adapt.
This, however, would work just as well in the fantasy setting suggested above. You start at the same or similar level of technology (or also magic, if that's what you're going for), and both you and the enemy need to research and evolve to adapt to the opponent's new abilities.

Zombra

Patron
This, however, would work just as well in the fantasy setting suggested above.
Not my point, but sure, it could work in 100 different settings. That doesn't make fantasy the best choice. So far I haven't seen a good reason for PP not to use the setting it does. "XCOM is also sci-fi" doesn't cut it, because the two are still very distinct.

luinthoron

Learned
Oh, I'm not saying it should be anything it is not. Just that you being outgunned as a reason for a sci-fi setting does not work here, that's all. I very much like PP exactly as it is.

Mazisky

Magister
This, however, would work just as well in the fantasy setting suggested above.
Not my point, but sure, it could work in 100 different settings. That doesn't make fantasy the best choice. So far I haven't seen a good reason for PP not to use the setting it does. "XCOM is also sci-fi" doesn't cut it, because the two are still very distinct.

Yeah, they are quite distinct.

However i still don't get why all Xcom like games (RT strategic layer, TB tactical battles) are either Sci-fi or Mercenary stuff a la Jagged Alliance.

And they keep doing that (see Xenonauts 2, Tastee, etc. etc.)

I would pay (and many with me, i'm pretty sure) a full AAA price for a medieval Xcom.

A castle as HQ instead of the Avenger, standard classes (Rogue, Wizard, Warrior, Priest, Pala) and an old Map who replace the Geoscape.

Demons\Undead\Whatever invasion instead of Aliens.

Considering that nobody did it, basically anyone could reskin XCOM and being original at the same time.

Firaxis itself could do a spin off with just a reskin and little tweaks to add some new features and sell a ton

Mazisky

Magister
I would pay (and many with me, i'm pretty sure) a full AAA price for a medieval Xcom.
Here you go. Since the game is only $20 I will accept the other $40 you promised as a finder's fee. PM me for Paypal details.

Also, your dream will come true again in 2019 if this project stays on schedule.

Massive Calice art is so ugly and confusing that ironically it seems more sci-fi than fantasy, and so cannot be included.

Iron Oath seems fucking amazing tho, but he could end as vaporware.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wtf? Is this being released in 2 days? Interesting.
However it doesn't seem to have any sandbox-y elements a la XCOM, the campaign will be a "mission after mission" type of thing, if I understand correctly
On the forums they talk about some kind of investment into your soldiers. Also compare the game to Banner Saga and HoMM. I guess we will find out when it releases and people put out videos of the game.
From pictures and videos on Steam there is some stronghold management, maybe that is the HoMM likeness they talk about.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Numantia requires a controller to play
what is this heresy?
They apparently replied to that:
Hi everyone,

Numantia will support both controller and keyboard/mouse. The message is an automatic warning from Steam until we upload our next update (1.02), which will occur before our release date (next week). You can even play our Arena mode (offline co-op mode) with a friend, one using a controller and the other one using keyboard and mouse.

To summarize: yes, the release version will support keyboard and mouse inputs.

I hope this clarifies it, we'd like to thank you all for your interest in Numantia.

Regards,

The Reco Team

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Too quick, you ninjaed me ;)

btw, I would gladly play with a controller if it were a new Gladius. I really miss this game. It was fun in coop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom