Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
:takemymoney::d1p:

Luka-boy

Arcane
I feel somewhat underwhelmed after seeing that alien with the guns, after that first creepy pic from the website's background and the talk in this thread about the game potentially involving an Eldritch enemy.

And don't get me wrong, any news of an X-Com style game by Gollop makes my dick tingle with happiness. But just like Expeditions: Vikings, I was hoping we'd get a setting a bit more uncommon.

Mustawd

Yes, guns on that concept art looked completely forced onto the monster pic.

:S

Lucky

Arcane
Is that the same monster, though? It doesn't have quite the same distinctively human face, and a different shape with fewer appendages.

I'm digging it either way, even if we're 'just' getting a spiritual successor to X-Com. One of the factors that keeps me from liking the Firaxis XComs is how they always feel like an unironic Starship Troopers, rather than Alien - all action and no tension. The designs shown thus far for this game look like Gollop's group is going more for the horrible and unnerving, with malformed human anatomy, odd locomotion and subdued lighting. Creatures that look 'off', not just intimidating. That's a much better direction to take things in if you're going to scale up to modern graphics. Still too early to tell if there's more of this and if they're able to effectively convert the effect to the game, though.

I'm hoping they do a kickstarter and bring in some serious cash. They could benefit from some of the disappointment surrounding Xcom 2 to draw in people who never even played the original X-Com, especially if they make sure to emphasise Gollop's history with the franchise.

Mazisky

Magister
i'm pretty sure gameplay and art will be awesome with Gollop, but i'm afraid about technical part, they have low budget.

Better they go 2d since it can be good looking without being expensive, instead of crappy low ugly 3d

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter

Well, when you guys put it that way... Can't wait!

Mozg

Arcane
I feel somewhat underwhelmed after seeing that alien with the guns, after that first creepy pic from the website's background and the talk in this thread about the game potentially involving an Eldritch enemy.

And don't get me wrong, any news of an X-Com style game by Gollop makes my dick tingle with happiness. But just like Expeditions: Vikings, I was hoping we'd get a setting a bit more uncommon.

Eh, I figure it's gameplay-first, atmosphere and moodshit second, and guns bring in useful concepts like suppression and ammo vs. some doofy glowing blue magic fireballs for your ranged shit.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Awww, that second pic killed my hype a little. Mutants with gun-arms. I was hoping the first speculations was correct. X-com Ctuhulu setting in the 1930's. Could already see myself equipping fedora wielding dudes with shotguns, pistols and such :(

Lucky

Arcane
I think I went overboard with the sacrificing today. 8 rookies, 1 seargent and 1 captain will help make this game great, right?

I'm really interested in seeing if Gollop really got his mojo back.

That's barely enough gore to make lunch with! You won't satisfy any spirit listening in that way, just today I've sacrificed over three fully staffed avengers upon the altar of proper superhuman - ironman, no armour, no using enemy weapons and no research beyond what is necessary to reach the final level. It's like a human meatgrinder, which makes for an interesting change of pace from the normal sending in of grossly overpowered killsquads.

The website has also been updated with that monster picture being added and the tagline "Phoenix Point - Turn Based Tactics, Turn Based Strategy." Seems like this won't be a scaling down of X-Com.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom