Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Mustawd

In which way?

You said it yuoorself (or amybe that was someone else a few dozen pages back?), the systems are still being worked on and developed. The complexity has probably grown more than they initially estimated for.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That doesn't necessarily mean that to me.
What does it mean, then? I don't see any "bigger" game, the backer build is - at best - 5% of the originally planned game and there is nothing "new", "better" or more "complex" than that.

Mazisky

Magister
In June 2019 we will have already a 2nd Xcom 2 expansion and probably an Xcom 3 announce. Cause that date is E3 2019.
Non to mention plenty of turn based games that can be released\announced within that date. (Forged of blood, Fort triumph, the Iron oath and many others).

They need to hurry or make a really great game because the competitors are growing.

UnstableVoltage i think a priority should be increasing the environment variety, maybe adding new biomes, even through dlcs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This news was expected. I don't mind waiting. My backlog is big and there are multiple games I want to play in near future.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In June 2019 we will have already a 2nd Xcom 2 expansion and probably an Xcom 3 announce. Cause that date is E3 2019.
Non to mention plenty of turn based games that can be released\announced within that date. (Forged of blood, Fort triumph, the Iron oath and many others).

They need to hurry or make a really great game because the competitors are growing.

UnstableVoltage i think a priority should be increasing the environment variety, maybe adding new biomes, even through dlcs.
Actually, I think rushing in to arrive before competitors would be a bad move. It is much better to delay and get a better game out.
There is just a ton of steam games cranked out every day now. Quality is the only thing that can make one stand out.

Israfael

Arcane
Considering the current pace of development, June 2019 seems to be somewhat optimistic date - we still have no idea about the geoscape (and if it lives through several iterations, they might get late or cut very close to the deadline), mutation system(that would surely require some rounds of tweaking to get it right), inventory and other paraphernalia.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Totally not unexpected.

It is hard to tell, with an increasing team, but the old development pace seemed very slow (how long it took them to do the PC Gamer Weekender build, the minor changes between the PC Gamer Weekender end EGX Rezzed build and again the minor changes between EGX Rezzed and Backer Build One).

If they go by that pace, June 2019 is very unrealistic.

norolim

Arcane
June is also E3 time, which is probably the worst time to release a game. I expect another delay announcement in 2019.

Mustawd

That doesn't necessarily mean that to me.
What does it mean, then? I don't see any "bigger" game, the backer build is - at best - 5% of the originally planned game and there is nothing "new", "better" or more "complex" than that.

Well I don't really expect a breakdown of everything they're having issues with development-wise. I think most ITT were expecting this to get delayed due to a lot of systems not in place already. For me, it's less about new things and more about how they interplay to make the game fun. Obviously they're still struggling with that as we haven't even seen A.) The geoscape B.) Other factions; Even Phoenix project, which is the main faction C.) Other maps besides the demo.

All that tells me they're still tinkering with systems as well as with just regular gamedev.

But sure. More specificity would be nice.

Big Wrangle

A flexible soldier progression sound nice, but I don't think the skills should be randomised at all.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah done right it would be amazing, but not random. The physical stats of solders should be random, and we should allocate skills based on those stats. nuCom-style randomness is a shit mechanic imo.

Israfael

Arcane
You forgot to mention that classes also accomplish a couple more things:

~ limiting the soldier customization
~ reducing skill sets into a pre-defined templates
~ making the whole experience very game-y. “No, your sniper has no idea how to operate an assault rifle even if his life depends on it. No, your ranger will not touch a shotty with a ten foot pole. Because classes”.

Al the “issues” you listed are only problems for someone who grabs a tactical combat game and expects to be immediately good at it for no reason. Soldier customization and squad setup are not something you should take lightly or expect to be a matter of seconds to deal with as it is crucial part of a squad-based tactical combat game.

And “development milestones”, really? You expect XCom players to have attention span so short to require fancy titles and icons popping up regularly to be able to understand that a particular soldier is now better at what player wants them to be good at? Are we even talking about the same game here?
Which of you posted this? :lol:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fuck, most people want classes.

At this point though I would rather have them have a clear vision about their game instead of asking "us".

Mustawd

Fuck, most people want classes.

At this point though I would rather have them have a clear vision about their game instead of asking "us".

I personally dislike classes in muh X-com. It was one of the things I actively disliked about XCOM.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom