Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jesus Christ jumping on a pogo stick fucking storyfags REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think I like the idea of mutations, it seems like procedural generation by a different name. A rose by any other name and all that. I'd like to see different, distinct and memorable aliens, rather than all of them being a little bit different, but samey. I also don't like the emphasis on modern X-coms, the way the questions are structured gives me the impression that they are taking the modern ones as the default and "mutating", or deviating, it to fit something else that the players want. There is only one mention of the old X-coms in the entire questionnaire.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Stop focusing on the bad. There are plenty incline points in that survey. Such as a console port being at the very bottom, where it well should be.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The thing that surprised me the most is that someone actually voted for 29. And that it was even an option.

luinthoron

Learned
I don't think I like the idea of mutations, it seems like procedural generation by a different name. A rose by any other name and all that. I'd like to see different, distinct and memorable aliens, rather than all of them being a little bit different, but samey.
It's a bit of both, I guess. On one hand, there are the mutations where one type of alien changes over time depending on its success against your forces, but on the other hand, different base types will be showing up as well with older ones disappearing entirely, so it's not just all of them being samey either.
Mutations are plentiful, but limited - and new 'archetypes' appear as the aliens develop their own 'tech'.
Lowered tiered aliens may disappear late game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't think I like the idea of mutations, it seems like procedural generation by a different name. A rose by any other name and all that. I'd like to see different, distinct and memorable aliens, rather than all of them being a little bit different, but samey. I also don't like the emphasis on modern X-coms, the way the questions are structured gives me the impression that they are taking the modern ones as the default and "mutating", or deviating, it to fit something else that the players want. There is only one mention of the old X-coms in the entire questionnaire.
#1 base for aliens will depend on world region (in Africa a lion will be a base form so you will see quadruped fast aliens)
#2 this system will let the game provide challenge for players that feels more natural and intelligent. Also when you find new ways or tactics to beat new aliens you will feel good about it. Also each new game will let you get a different experience (which is not something any Xcom game had so far)
#3 There are 3 factions that will not use this system and you will get from them want you want. You will be 100% fighting one of those or all of them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
If the mutations don't go overboard (i.e. every alien type has access to all of them) and are variations on a theme then I'll be fine with them.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't think a variety of aliens will be a problem - we already seen there are various "base" alien creatures.
These small skittery bugs, that one lady-Thing, that big humanoid crab that they showed all sorts of variations for...

DeepOcean

Arcane
We will see, on a technical side, it isn't even a hard system to implement just do "Add pincer shield on crabmen if death count by ranged is above 100 and 70%." or "Spawn sharkmen if melee deaths is above 50%." It will sorta of work like X-COM did threat progression with new species of alien appearing over time but more subtle as you could gear all the aliens to counter balance you even the base mooks and give the feeling of a responsive system for the player. Instead of you going "Fuck, the aliens can mind fuck me now!" on X-COM, the adaption would be constant and more specific tailored to force the player to change strategies and be a very interesting way to turn the theme on gameplay mechanics, what is always good.

luinthoron

Learned
Campaign update 4:
The writing team has been busy - there is a new story from Jonas here:

The Tomb of the Phoenix

Weapons
Here are a selection of weapon designs. Crossbow weapons are stealth weapons and do not reveal the location of the shooter.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fa9fb2d479d59f62bf4995a73ccde3ba0c063cc8f%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493580787

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F7f83450f699b784e7eb4a2352959cc2c30447108%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493580788

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2Fdb39e62cc9f9d632900cfcc73e5b9bad449adf6d%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493580787

Alien Concept
Here is another plasticine concept from Aleksandar Ignatov. This one is called a medusa.

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F776290f8e801db8b9ada6021cb147f7ecf3cb105%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1493580789

luinthoron

Learned
If nothing else, the Lovecraftian setting of this game has already provided us with some excellent writing (and we'll likely see even more of these during the development), and these give us hope the game itself, being written by the same guys, will have a great story in addition to Gollop's hopefully once again excellent game mechanics.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lol @ "Bay Watch this isn't" and lol @ that alien in the bottom right corner.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Also, 2 spelling mistakes lol. "Brins" instead of brains and "don;t" instead of don't.

luinthoron

Learned
Stretch goals announced:
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F2583fbaf076b1948d1dad350c272358771742f61%2Foriginal.png%3F1493664666

$650k DRIVABLE VEHICLES IN TACTICAL BATTLES:

Deploy vehicles to tactical battles for carrying troops and providing heavy weapons support. They can also be used for retrieving equipment and materials in raid missions, and for safe evacuation of soldiers or civilians in danger. There will be multiple construction options and a variety of weapons turrets available.

$850k FLOATING PHOENIX BASE:

A floating fortress which can travel by sea and conduct air operations inland from coastal areas. Such bases will be exposed to danger from seaborn mutants generating some tense defensive missions, but the additional strategic flexibility of such a base will greatly help in mid to late game. It will also allow the player to discover some of the mist well hidden secrets of the alien agenda, deep inside the mist.

Disgruntled

Savant
Vehicles sound good. But does that mean they will have large maps or are we going to drive an apc in what amounts to a small town shopping mall. :?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point?update=363#updates

Funding Goal Reached - Stretch Goals Announced
POSTED: 05/02/2017
We made it! Our $500,000 goal has been reached in less than a week!

We would like to thank all our backers who have made this project possible. Now we are going to make an awesome game for you.

The two stretch goals we have announced so far bring new dimensions to both the tactical and strategic spheres of the game. Here are the details:

https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_body_images%2Fimages%2F0b3fb9bc82562e906819a0ceae18b95c13693732%2Foriginal.png%3F1493663724

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom