Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Phantom Doctrine - "tactical Cold War conspiracy thriller" by Hard West devs

Modron

Arcane
His death or capture is also pretty much the only reliable game over cause :P
Good to know your avatar isn't some kind of special immortal type but that kinds of brings up a different set of problems in my head. Is there some kind of limiting mechanisms/motivations not to keep your avatar a perpetual bench warmer? Exanima's arena does something similar and most people just leave their main sitting naked in the main room instead of fighting with them because of the risk.

Developer
There are a couple of solutions to this problem implemented:
1. Hero starts with a slight XP boost, so you want him in your squad for the edge he brings.
2. Missions and combat are the key XP source, and
3. Story missions demand hero participation; so you better have him ready.
4. Getting shot in the face isn't an instant gameover: all you gotta do is pick the hero up and get him to evac. It's actually relatively difficult to have your agent permanently killed. More often than that they're kept alive, captured and interrogated/brainwashed by your enemy.
5. A combat armor - while very shitty for sneaking purposes - is actually very good protection in combat. You won't withstand infinite attacks, but the armor is almost always enough to get to evac and scram, if things go south.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
4. Getting shot in the face isn't an instant gameover: all you gotta do is pick the hero up and get him to evac.

I hope my danger sense is just acting up here for no good reason.

809D4EE23361701D7E1B91ADBB7406E01745B7E0

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
4. Getting shot in the face isn't an instant gameover: all you gotta do is pick the hero up and get him to evac.
I'll need some more context and information here.
didn't play SS2 :shredder:

Don't read too much into it. Just a mechanic I remembered from the game that got on my nerves where you could carry wounded party members to the extraction point to keep them alive. You needed to play on higher difficulty for it really factor in, though.

And yes, you should check out Silent Storm ASAP.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'll need some more context and information here.
didn't play SS2 :shredder:
I know you're under launch workload, but fix this now. NOW.
Fix what? Your few agents not dying instantly all the time? When did you see James Bond die when shot?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Interested but too expensive for now.
Recently bought Hard West for around $2 on daily sale.
I will appreciate a review from those day-one-purchase folks.

Developer
Yeah, I know, I know. It just aged really badly. On my defense I keep coming back to ol' xcoms and JA2.
And regarding catching up, it is a bit like suggesting to a sailor to eat another fish :P Sure, why not, but definitely not in the imminent future XD

Developer
Are any bigger twitch streamers planning to stream it on release?
I don't know much about streamers, ok, I actually don't know the first thing about streamers, but we keep having all sorts of big and small streamers running PD - eg. Christopher Odd. Dunno who else.

Developer
mods - work in progress

playtime - the average we get is 40h for single campaign, slow at 60+, and if you know the game really well and step on it you can shave down to 20h

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
That's a great playtime for each faction. Lot of value there.

Really excited to play this tomorrow! Liked Hard West a good deal, but this project seems to have so much more depth. Hope launch day goes wonderfully for you guys, Kacper Szymczak

Of course a day 1 purchase for me.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Releasing this on a Tuesday is a crime against humanity... The weekend has never felt so distant.
Actually this Tuesday is not too bad of a choice, as this Wednesday, 15th of August, is a bank holiday on most European countries... And certainly in Poland where the devs are from (if that makes any difference)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom