Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Phantom Doctrine - "tactical Cold War conspiracy thriller" by Hard West developer

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Aug 22, 2017.

1. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Click here and disable ads!
    Alternative history of Cold War; strategy layer with investigation, intelligence, and research; "next-generation" turn-based tactical combat with "unprecedented flexibility of movement and actions" and "fully-fledged stealth gameplay".

It's developed by Hard West developer Creative Forge Games and published by Good Shepherd Entertainment (formerly Gambitious Entertainment, the same publisher published Hard West).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.gog.com/game/phantom_doctrine?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Looks and sounds very cool.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    • Brofist x 21
    • Excited! x 4
    • incline x 2
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    This looks impressive! Seems to have more of the consistent character development that I was hoping for with Hard West. While I liked Hard West's approach, I did think it would have benefited from a more focused progression.

What an interesting and great setting for an espionage turn-based strategy game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Kev Inkline Arcane

Kev Inkline
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This is the genre I have always wished for, very nice! :salute:

^ Top  
  4. waterdeep Learned

waterdeep
    Parrots:
    turn based cold war game? :russiastronk: :d1p:

^ Top  
  5. Hellraiser Arcane

Hellraiser
    Parrots:
    Well this looks interesting, I do have a fondness for stealth and tactical games. Definitely keeping an eye on this. Also they get bonus points for having my home city as a possible mission location, that doesn't happen often.

^ Top  
  6. Stavrophore Learned

Stavrophore
    Parrots:
    Looks based...TURN BASED:cheersmate:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/30/phantom-doctrine-preview/

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Twitch PAX West show segment:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

http://www.pcgamer.com/torture-brainwash-or-kill-enemy-agents-in-this-xcom-style-cold-war-game/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. *-*/\--/\~ Savant

*-*/\--/\~
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

Longneck is looooooooooooong!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Beowulf Savant

Beowulf
    Parrots:
    It's a Tactleneck.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. D_X Arcane Patron

D_X
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Looks a bit like Shadowrun Returns. I liked Hard West quite a bit, so I think I'll get this one as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Kacper Szymczak will be giving a talk at this conference in the Potatolands next week: https://gic.gd/agenda/#kacper-szymczak

(Josh Sawyer will be there too, I'll be sure to tell him to attend :D)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    ^ Top  
  16. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This looks very interesting. Should Hard West inspire optimism about it? I've never played Hard West.

^ Top  
  17. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Parrots:
    Hard West was fun, but I'm hoping this one has a little more focus, depth, and more of a sense of progression. Those were the areas I found particularly lacking in Hard West.

In short: yes, HW was a good game and if its any indication of where this team is heading, their next game should be something people around here will like very much.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:

:D

• Balanced Balanced x 5
    ^ Top  
  19. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Parrots:
    The more I played it, the more Hard West grew on me. This looks next game looks like it could be even better. But I hope the developer is planning on having a proper save system with multiple slots in this one. More than once I had problems with the save game in Hard West and had to start a nearly completed mini-campaign over. Annoying and unnecessary but forgivable given how short the campaigns are. And I get that the save system in Hard West was the way it was because they wanted players to have to live with some of the negative effects coming from decisions made on the overland map. But in a game with a long single campaign the autosave system combined with buggy saves would be unforgivable.

^ Top  
  20. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    I was there. What he said made sense, but - as most lectures on GiC - it was too short and brief to delve into any real details and design philosophy.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kacper Szymczak CreativeForge Games Developer

Kacper Szymczak
    Parrots:
    Nope, instead there's a world map which is basically a spy network where you fight in a strategic scope, a hideout where you do brainwashing, forging cash, analyzing secret files, adjusting agent params with chemicals and such.
    There are some random story bits that give you some choice here in and there, but it's just a tiny fraction of that.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  23. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Parrots:
    Thanks for the answer but why are you quoting me answering in this thread a question I made in another one???

:philosoraptor:

^ Top  
  24. SpaceDriftingGrimoire Literate

SpaceDriftingGrimoire
    Parrots:
    Very cool and unexpectedly interesting announcement! Interesting to see this developer stick to their guns with developing turn-based games like Hard West. Some of the main features, like emphasis on level design and on site intelligence gathering are reminiscent of Hitman: Blood Money; while the globe trotting and espionage and Cold War political focus is similar to Alpha Protocol. Although as amusing as the live action trailer is I wish they dedicated those four minutes to showing gameplay in action.

Thank you for posting about this. I'll be keeping my eye close on this one!

:incline::salute:

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/phantom-doctrine/phantom-doctrine-release-date-gameplay-trailer

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)