Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Phantom Doctrine, a turn-based tactical Cold War thriller from the developers of Hard West

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
  • Knowing is half the battle: scout mission locations ahead of time, infiltrate with undercover operatives and improve your odds. Elite enemy agents with their own agenda are always ready to spring their own ambushes.
  • Go loud or go home (stealthily): fully-fledged stealth gameplay with silenced weapons, silent takedowns and cutting-edge Cold War era security technology. All this makes completing entire operations clandestinely a viable option.
  • Run your own counterintelligence organization: recruit subjects of top secret government experiments, operatives of the world’s secret services, KGB & CIA included, or even criminals. Manage a global operation, securing weapons, resources and contacts. Command from a distance or go hands-on to fight for the real stakes.
  • Actively pursue the truth: research cases, locations and individuals in Investigation Board gameplay mechanics to uncover new missions, resources and technologies.
  • Employ technology ruthlessly to your advantage: learn from the enemy or research your own methods for brainwashing, interrogation, body engineering and chemical enhancement.

That sounds fantastic, some of that stuff I always wished for it to have been in the HBS Shadowruns.

Developer
Helloes!
Thanks for all the kind words! Much appreciated, our team is happy seeing you're happy (I personally believe the opinions shared over here are a good benchmark of what to expect from the hardcore edge of the spectrum of our audience).

If any questions pop to mind, let me know!
Cheers <3

Developer
Does luck mechanic stay? //I hope it does
Kinda. Still no randomization (proud to say, even less this time), but I felt luck doesn't fit the theme.
It works like this:
  • every weapon has a minimum and maximum damage (eg. 20-60, but varies from weapon to weapon)
  • every character has an Awareness level (100 on average, subject to character development) - it represents how focused & cautious a character is (think: the Bourne kind of awareness)
  • if shot at, character notices that and "dodges", reducing damage to minimum (plus first cover reduction, so effectively usually couple of points of damage)
  • every "dodge" reduces awareness level (25 on average, but it's subject to character development, skill selection etc)
  • once you're out of awareness, you get max damage
  • awareness regenerates every turn (10 on average, subject to character development)
  • you can Focus: use up your APs every N turns to regen a lot of awareness
Also: powerful actions require awareness. Like: headshots. So if you get shot at a lot, you can't land that headshot.

This better have melee combat.
Yes it does.
No "jab for 5hp" kind of melee tho.
Hand to hand takedowns. (for infiltration mostly)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game sounds (and so far looks) nice.
The trailer, though, ... errhhh.... Don't get me wrong, I loved the cheesiness in the Command & Conquer, Dune and Mechwarrior games.
But this doesn't have that cheesiness. And I am afraid they weren't going for that, either.

Then again, I'm really not a fan of indie movie stuff, where every asset just manages to look cheap, so my standards when it comes to movie production are pretty high.
Still not sure if such live action stuff is a good idea for a game.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Does luck mechanic stay? //I hope it does
Kinda. Still no randomization (proud to say, even less this time), but I felt luck doesn't fit the theme.
It works like this:
  • every weapon has a minimum and maximum damage (eg. 20-60, but varies from weapon to weapon)
  • every character has an Awareness level (100 on average, subject to character development) - it represents how focused & cautious a character is (think: the Bourne kind of awareness)
  • if shot at, character notices that and "dodges", reducing damage to minimum (plus first cover reduction, so effectively usually couple of points of damage)
  • every "dodge" reduces awareness level (25 on average, but it's subject to character development, skill selection etc)
  • once you're out of awareness, you get max damage
  • awareness regenerates every turn (10 on average, subject to character development)
  • you can Focus: use up your APs every N turns to regen a lot of awareness
Also: powerful actions require awareness. Like: headshots. So if you get shot at a lot, you can't land that headshot.

This better have melee combat.
Yes it does.
No "jab for 5hp" kind of melee tho.
Hand to hand takedowns. (for infiltration mostly)

Is this going to have CYOA parts too while you wander around the map ?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hard West was pretty good, this looks similar but improved.

Promising.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom