Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pewdiepie

Papa Môlé

Arcane
About
“Nice Meme” is an ironic expression often used as a dismissive response to poorly received content posted in circle jerk communities online in a similar vein to the phrases“dank memes” and “well meme’d”.

Origin
The exact origin of the ironic usage of the phrase “nice meme” is unknown. On February 9th, 2013, the earliest archived instance on 4chan was posted to a thread in the /mu/ (music) board (shown below).[2]

Spread
On December 24th, 2013, a 4chan user replied to a post featuring a poorly-drawn trollface with “nice meme” followed by the dorito face emoticon (shown below).

On February 4th, YouTuber Reddit Circlejerk uploaded a video titled “Nice Meme,” featuring an animated illustration of Barack Obama singing the phrase (shown below, left). On February 9th, Reddit Circlejerk uploaded footage of aFlappy Bird parody titled “Flappy Fedora,” which plays an audio clip of a man saying “nice meme” after successfully passing a flying fedora between cans of Mountain Dew (shown below, right).

On March 9th, the single serving website Niceme.me[1] was launched, which displays the message “Nice meme!” accompanied by the same audio clip from the “Flappy Fedora” parody. On May 22nd, a Facebook[6] page titled “Nice Memes” was launched. On August 7th, YouTuber Keith Smerbeck uploaded a video titled “real nice,” in which he plays the Niceme.me audio recording repeatedly while saying “nice meme” (shown below).

On September 17th, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott posted a photograph of himself posing with two young aboriginal children in Arnhem Land, Australia to his official Facebook[3] page. That day, Redditor OrangeMemes_2 linked to the photo in a post titled “Everybody let Tony Abbott know how nice his meme is by commenting ‘nice meme’ on this post” to the /r/braveryjerk[4] subreddit. The Facebook photo was subsequently flooded with users commenting “nice meme,” gathering upwards of 2,500 comments in the next six months. That day, BuzzFeed[5] posted an article about the incident.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
pewdiepie on TV what.the.fuck

and as you'd expect he is nervous as fuck and the internet weirdo you'd expect him to be.

Cadmus

Arcane
What's wrong with Colbert?
watch the interview
you get the richest youtuber on your show to ask him some swedish curse words?
I understand it's supposed to be funny, friendly banter or something but this is literally the most useless thing I can think of on the TV. Colbert is an unfunny idiot and when the script doesn't tell him how to make fun of politics, he's lost.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why would you even watch an interview with a guy who does nothing but play games and make funny faces for a living?

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
We have 7 page thread dedicated to pewdiepie on codex why exactly?

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just browsed the play store on the phone and imagine that Pewds got a nr1 vidya game on it. Over 50k downloads already. Wow.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Ive seen some videos of his and can see the appeal. They are actually edited in a funny way and can be entertaining. Good on him, he found a way to make $$ and profit from a video streaming website so why the hell not.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kjellberg admits that he enjoys living in Brighton, as he is able to live in general anonymity, adding that one of the reasons he has not moved to Los Angeles is, "Anytime I'm there, people are constantly patting you on the back, telling you how great you are. It fucks with your brain. I started YouTube because I was bored, not to become famous."[24] In June 2016, Kjellberg announced he had been evicted after a neighbour confronted him for being too loud.[154]
-
In a Rolling Stone article, PewDiePie admitted to being shocked by his fame; PewDiePie recalled a gaming event near his hometown, stating "I remember there were five security guards yelling at a crowd to back up — it was out of control. It was shocking to find myself in that situation, where I was that celebrity person."[12] At the 2013 Social Star Awards, PewDiePie greeted his fans personally despite security warning him against doing so.[1][80] PewDiePie also mentioned this event to Rolling Stone, stating, "I didn't even understand they were screaming for me at first."[12]
-
Although games being featured on PewDiePie's channel have reportedly contributed to their commercial success, he has stated, "I just want to play the games, not influence sales."[86]
-
On the topic of his earnings, PewDiePie stated that he is "extremely tired of talking about how much I make. In the very few interviews I've made, it doesn't matter how long we've talked to each other, the headline is still just about my paycheck."[100] After extensive media coverage of his earnings, Kjellberg posted a video, expressing his frustration at the extensive media coverage over his income. In the video he claimed, "We did raise a million dollars for charity, and very few articles picked up on that, but here it is everywhere how much money I make," adding, "It seems like the whole world cares more about how much money I make than I do myself."[101] Relating to his source of his income, PewDiePie stated: "I think that's what's cool about YouTube: That anyone could technically do it, right? Surely if I didn't exist, there would be someone to fill my place."[102]
-
Additionally, PewDiePie posted on Reddit, "I make more than I need from YouTube," adding, "with that freedom, but also to respect my fans for making that possible, I don't end up doing many endorsements."[112] On this topic, PewDiePie has claimed that it is disappointing when a large chunk of people misinterpret a component of his character; he states, "if I mention on Twitter that I find this or that Kickstarter project cool, people immediately start to ask what economical interests I might have in it. Things like that can bring me down. But it's not personal; some people just prefer to believe the worst about others at any given time."[13]
-
PewDiePie's channel is under Polaris, a gaming network, part of Maker Studios, a multi-channel network that drives the growth of the channels under it.[19][113][114][115] Despite being signed under a network, PewDiePie refuses to hire an editor to help him with his video output, stating "I want YouTube to be YouTube."[55]

Could've been a much more obnoxious person in his position.

A user named cat

Thread should've been retardoed in 2014.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom