Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pewdiepie

No one said that he's actually entertaining.
sorry, in my silly own world you still need to be good at something to become popular. it's my fault, my bad.

Malpercio

Arcane
I don't follow him because youtube personalities don't interest me, but every time I see a picture of him he as this perpetually dumb expression on his face.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well he's the interwebz equivalent of the pioneering boy bands like New Kids on the Block or Take That. I'm actually surprised he's not making more. Much, much more. Seems to me with his level of fame and fandom more business-minded people would be raking in tens of millions through tours, festivals, merchanise, PR deals etc.

Well at least he said he likes money and go fuck yourselves. Typical Swede would probably whip himself bloody in front of a webcam while howling heartfelt apologies to everyone feeling harmed and distressed by his wealth.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Making 7 milion smackaroos a year by yelling like a retard in a mic and make rape jokes every 5 minutes? I'm sorry but if your kid is watching this retard you should rethink the idea of keeping him,just trow that fucking little shit out and make another one.
Seems like the internet is starting to become a poison for further generations,so fucking sad.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
He started as a more serious guy, then when he got mildly successful he started only doing silly meme games. Every once in a while he does some serious series, like Catherine, or when he did Bully, and these tend to be entertaining. His Fridays with PDP are also not bad, until he starts undressing and doing random shit.
If you ignore 80% of his current videos he can actually be pretty funny. Better than GameGrumps, Angry Joe and the likes, at least.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No one said that he's actually entertaining.
sorry, in my silly own world you still need to be good at something to become popular. it's my fault, my bad.

My world is even more twisted than that. Here you need to be good at something that actually contributes to civilisation and generates value to be paid for it, and just "being popular" means nothing in and of itself.

He started as a more serious guy, then when he got mildly successful he started only doing silly meme games. Every once in a while he does some serious series, like Catherine, or when he did Bully, and these tend to be entertaining. His Fridays with PDP are also not bad, until he starts undressing and doing random shit.
If you ignore 80% of his current videos he can actually be pretty funny. Better than GameGrumps, Angry Joe and the likes, at least.

Angry Joe had one decent review in his life, and that was Alien: Isolation. Everything else is just WOW THAT'S SO FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!1!!1!111!!1!! YOU GET TO MAKE EXPLOSHUNS!!!! Angry my ass. He should be called Easily Impressed And Super Psyched All The Time Joe (If That's Even His Real Name). But that's a bit long-winded for a Youtube channel name.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Seems like the internet is starting to become a poison for further generations,so fucking sad.

Unfortunately not. On the contrary, the Internet is becoming an INSPIRATION for future generations.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He's like Justin Beiber/One Direction of Youtube, my boss got a 14-15 year old daughter and he shuts off internet router at night cause she wont sleep cause she watches Pewds all the time late into the night. Lel.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
PewDiePie is an example of real life Flanderization. He started out with little other than a somewhat quirky opening and the 'easily scared' gimmick, but over time he's exaggerated this (and his other characteristics) to the extreme.

Enormously annoying, but can't really blame him considering the money he makes. Probably a regular guy outside of YouTube.

Jigawatt

Arcane
1396983980759.png

Papa Môlé

Arcane

Duality. What is it? How do I deal with it? Can I will it away by convincing myself it's all an illusion? Can I take the pleasure knowing the pain is just around the corner, and vice versa? So many questions Codex.

Also, stop bumping this thread so I get updated about it faggots.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, PewDiePie is a shit comedian with shit humor who makes alot of money off of idiots.

Because

Adam-Sandler.jpg

that's

david_spade.jpg

totally

Carlos-Mencia.jpg

never

42182_ori.jpg

happened

Rob-Schneider.jpg

before

Carrot+Top+sNwvfqSl9vCm.jpg

It's completely the fault of the current generation, I tells ya! Comedians in my day were the pinnacle of humor!

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, PewDiePie is a shit comedian with shit humor who makes alot of money off of idiots.

Because

Adam-Sandler.jpg

that's

david_spade.jpg

totally

Carlos-Mencia.jpg

never

42182_ori.jpg

happened

Rob-Schneider.jpg

before

Carrot+Top+sNwvfqSl9vCm.jpg

It's completely the fault of the current generation, I tells ya! Comedians in my day were the pinnacle of humor!

Annex%20-%20Marx%20Brothers%20(A%20Night%20in%20Casablanca)_01.jpg

But in all seriousness, the number 1 rule about comedy is timing. You have to know when to make a joke, and when not to.

Adam Sandler's first films are funny, and there's a laugh or two in his comedy CDs from the mid-90s.

Even Rob Schneider can be good in movie roles (Down Periscope is a great example).

But them, plus the other yahoos pictured above, have forgotten the flipside of the rule - when not to make a joke. They're constantly trying to be funny, to the point that they're like that saying about the broken clock being right twice a day. They think that they can attain comedy legend status by the sheer volume of humour they present, and often without any diversity being involved, and hope that some of their material hits the mark. They're devaluing themselves in the process.

It's alright to splurge out on (bad) jokes in the beginning steps of your career, when you're trying to find your "base" in comedy and are doing the small-time club scene, but once you've graduated to bigger things you have to git gud or walk away. Denis Leary's "base" was to steal material from others, then use a rant-like attitude as a delivery medium. That resulted in one hell of a standup routine (No Cure For Cancer) but the rest of his comedic career isn't worth talking about. How much time and kilos of cocaine did it take Robin Williams to become the comedic legend that he was...and where did he end up?

Several comedians know this and are just trying to make a quick buck while they're trending, which is where I believe that pewdiepie stands. I find it unlikely that he'll be able to keep up his momentum for long, to the point that he probably won't be a blip by the end of next year. But he's already made millions, so he's not that bothered.

Can we blame a guy for cashing in on his success any more than we can blame the millions of idiots that are making him rich and famous?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Groucho was amazing till the end, he didn't play this character, Henry Max was actualy Groucho in real life.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
groucho marx was funny

Wanna hear the worst of it?

I once dressed up as Groucho Marx for a costume party. No one could identify my outfit by name, but a handful knew that I was dressed as an old comedian.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Welcome to 2015 where most twenty-somethings are oblivious to history.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Meh, they're oblivious to the present as well, so no biggie

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom