Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

pewdiepie

circ

Arcane
Could someone put into sensible terms why someone like pdp is able to get 10 million views on nonsensical videos? There are no cats in them. As men go, he's pretty hideous. He's not particularly funny. He's swedish, but any kind of sweden craze died I don't know, 10 years ago? No tits. No cocks.

I've watched two LP's of his. The only thing I could gather from them is that he's a worse gamer than a newborn baby. There are about a 100 better LP'ers with more informative commentary, and funnier at that, some of them with voices that don't make you suspect they have a dildo shoved down their throats too.

The only thing I can think of is Youtube subscriptions and views mostly consist of bots and he's some kind of paid plant hired by some video game conglomerate as I haven't seen anything critical towards video games unlike some Youtube VG celebrities.

Balor

Arcane
Because of preferential attachment and general nonlinear nature of such things.

You should not, generally, look for some very special traits in his videos - they can be barely above average, if at all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/magazine/15wwlnidealab.t.html

Conventional marketing wisdom holds that predicting success in cultural markets is mostly a matter of anticipating the preferences of the millions of individual people who participate in them. From this common-sense observation, it follows that if the experts could only figure out what it was about, say, the music, songwriting and packaging of Norah Jones that appealed to so many fans, they ought to be able to replicate it at will. And indeed that’s pretty much what they try to do. That they fail so frequently implies either that they aren’t studying their own successes carefully enough or that they are not paying sufficiently close attention to the changing preferences of their audience.

The common-sense view, however, makes a big assumption: that when people make decisions about what they like, they do so independently of one another. But people almost never make decisions independently — in part because the world abounds with so many choices that we have little hope of ever finding what we want on our own; in part because we are never really sure what we want anyway; and in part because what we often want is not so much to experience the “best” of everything as it is to experience the same things as other people and thereby also experience the benefits of sharing.

What you should look for is a stoke of blind luck, that allowed him to 'go viral'.

Also see this article, I've highlighted the relevant parts.

It also works for works of art - see Mona Lisa story.

/thread

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
He's far from the only irritating, histrionic cunt that got massively famous on teh Yooboobs. But yeah he REALLY sucks at games.

Everytime I hear something about that douchebag, I think of the Pewdie Glass

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
At least he's not begging for money all the time and sometimes he's funny unlike Angry Joe.

IU3IM5I.jpg

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When is he ever funny? He screams like a little girl and overreacts massively to everything. How is that funny?

But yeah fuck Angry Joe too. 90% of the time he's not even angry, he's just raving about how AWESUM the latest AAAAAA game is and completely ignoring any problems with it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Could someone put into sensible terms why someone like pdp is able to get 10 million views on nonsensical videos?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-sjw-ist-verboten.57009/page-874#post-3344808

Yes that explains success on YT.
It doesn't explain the peerless phenomenon that is PDP tho. What is the factor X here?
He was the first. Youtube prioritizes showing you videos with the most views, so he gets the most marketing, so he continues to gain followers faster than others, even though his content is total shit.

Exact same way business in general works. You think brand named clothes and food are actually the best value for your money? Fuck no. But they got in first, so everyone recognizes them, and they got the money to start throwing around bullshit ad campaigns ages before anyone else and positions to make contacts in various places to get around regulations and shit. So total garbage like Wonderbread is on the shelves fucking everywhere, and gets bought by shittons of people who never even bother to try any other type of bread (like the shit that got baked literally that morning in the store they're in that costs less.)

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Could someone put into sensible terms why someone like pdp is able to get 10 million views on nonsensical videos?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-sjw-ist-verboten.57009/page-874#post-3344808

Yes that explains success on YT.
It doesn't explain the peerless phenomenon that is PDP tho. What is the factor X here?
He was the first. Youtube prioritizes showing you videos with the most views, so he gets the most marketing, so he continues to gain followers faster than others, even though his content is total shit.

Exact same way business in general works. You think brand named clothes and food are actually the best value for your money? Fuck no. But they got in first, so everyone recognizes them, and they got the money to start throwing around bullshit ad campaigns ages before anyone else and positions to make contacts in various places to get around regulations and shit. So total garbage like Wonderbread is on the shelves fucking everywhere, and gets bought by shittons of people who never even bother to try any other type of bread (like the shit that got baked literally that morning in the store they're in that costs less.)

I don't think he was first. The first Youtube people were Fred, AVGN, and some Chinese guy. I think he just has an awesome team of agents/agent.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grimwulf nailed it. He's the Bieber or boy band equivalent of YouTube, with the looks and the attitude to match.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Now that's actually one gaming youtuber I admire. He may not always be funny, but he is artistic, he puts a great deal of effort and creativity in his episodes, and he finally achieved his life goal: created a real cinema movie from scratch. It may be shitty, it may not be a financial breakthrough, but that's his own damn creation, and a 100% legit personal achievement.

Actually, I remember myself laughing my ass off when he was just starting to make AVGN episodes. And just out of curiosity: wasn't he actually THE first LP guy on youtube?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I didn't mean that he was the first to exist, I meant he was the first to reach a critical mass of viewers/subs. The trigger for this kind of thing isn't being the most popular youtuber to do X, but being the first guy to start randomly showing up in youtube recommendations across the entire site. Once he hit that level, he took off, and nobody else with similar audience is going to be able to replace that 'slot' in the recommendations unless his popularity dwindles (which it won't unless he stops producing content.)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I didn't mean that he was the first to exist, I meant he was the first to reach a critical mass of viewers/subs. The trigger for this kind of thing isn't being the most popular youtuber to do X, but being the first guy to start randomly showing up in youtube recommendations across the entire site. Once he hit that level, he took off, and nobody else with similar audience is going to be able to replace that 'slot' in the recommendations unless his popularity dwindles (which it won't unless he stops producing content.)

No, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't try to compare AVGN to pdp, neither did I try to judje who is better buisness. Well, IMO, making an actual MOVIE (not some indie shit that you can only watch on internet, but a proper legit movie to be shown in all theatres of the world, and then sold on dvd and blu-rays) based on your "youtube gamer" persona is a greater accomplishment than collecting millions of kiddo subscribers. I may be wrong tho, don't even want to argue on that.

I just want to fill the gap in my memory. AVGN was the first one, right? He is to blame for all those other dorks, including pdp? I'm pretty sure I read/saw somebody stating that shit, but I can't really remember.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

No, I didn't make myself clear. I didn't try to compare AVGN to pdp, neither did I try to judje who is better buisness. Well, IMO, making an actual MOVIE (not some indie shit that you can only watch on internet, but a proper legit movie to be shown in all theatres of the world, and then sold on dvd and blu-rays) based on your "youtube gamer" persona is a greater accomplishment than collecting millions of kiddo subscribers. I may be wrong tho, don't even want to argue on that.

I just want to fill the gap in my memory. AVGN was the first one, right? He is to blame for all those other dorks, including pdp? I'm pretty sure I read/saw somebody stating that shit, but I can't really remember.

You're talking about two separate phenomena here.

1) The "Angry Reviewer" phenomenon, of which AVGN was among the first. (I am not sure if he was THE first)
2) The LP phenomenon, which is often neither angry nor a review.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

You're talking about two separate phenomena here.

1) The "Angry Reviewer" phenomenon, of which AVGN was among the first. (I am not sure if he was THE first)
2) The LP phenomenon, which is often neither angry nor a review.

That makes sence. Never really separated cool guys like AVGN and Nostalgia Critic from all other reviewers and even LP. Come to think of it, those are totally different genres indeed. Thanks for clearing that up.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I know a male, 29 years of age, who watched PewDiePie. PDP used to really get on my tits, just another highlight of the wasteful, unintelligent & distasteful pop culture of today. All the guy does is curse and act the fool and isn't even good at it, nor was he good at the video games he played.
However, I discovered he donates fairly regularly to a number of different causes. That earns him some respect in my book. But yes, his content sucks and it has an impact on gaming and today's youth.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I dunno, I've never really had a problem with him. He also seems like a down to earth guy who hasn't let the money and fame get to his head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom