Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Petroglyph unleashes the "8 Bit Armies"

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really miss a single player campaign Rts, even if eveyone hates it, Sc2 was the last good example of this. The best ever made imho was the first Red Alert\Warcraft 3...i remember at the time, i was very young, and Red Alert had a huge funny campaign and incredible cutscenes, it was on 2 cd
Indeed... For me, that was always the reason to play those games. Even better if there is some kind of replayability.
Online gameplay was never of too much interest to me. I just suck too much and would have to invest far more time than I'm willing to.

Plus, those games that focus on the multiplayer experience are usually balanced to ultimate boredom. Though I must say that I really liked to play the custom and TD maps for Warcraft 3 and its addon online.

rezaf

Cipher
For me, what also is unfortunate is the trend of making single player campaigns require online-skills, so to speak.
What I mean is that I used to play RTS games rather slow. Many of the earlier RTSes allowed you to reduce game speed, which I'd often do, and the general way the games and it's AI worked allowed for such playing style.

Modern RTSes, however, are often frantically paced, and when you can't come up with an efficient build order that makes use of the given resources in a very efficient fashion, chances are the AI will show up on your doorstep with a gargantuan army you can't ever hope to beat.
So you gotta hasten up your playing speed considerably in order to keep pace, and participate in the style of game that's better suited for an AI that can do all things simultaneously.
This approach to design RTS games, however, pushes them out of my comfort zone.

8-Bit Armies is like that, too.

The last pure RTS I have fond memories of apart from SC2 is Act of War, I think, and that was a good while ago. :-/

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I really miss a single player campaign Rts, even if eveyone hates it, Sc2 was the last good example of this. The best ever made imho was the first Red Alert\Warcraft 3...i remember at the time, i was very young, and Red Alert had a huge funny campaign and incredible cutscenes, it was on 2 cd

The original Red Alert was probably the peak of single player RTS campaigns. As much as I like generals, it was never had soul when it came to the campaign. Warcraft 3, Mechcommander 2, Starcraft, and Emperor: Battle for Dune would round out my top 5 SP campaigns (somedays AOE2 makes it just for the mongol campaign alone.) The weird missions and goofy cutscenes really helped make those games so much more memorable. It's sad that the death RTSs has led to their extinction, even the occasional RTS you do see now is often too focused on online & MP balance to be all that fun playing SP.

Mazisky

Magister
an RTS without base building is another different genre, you miss all the base\resource management that was the base of the RTS since Dune 2

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
They are a sub-genre of RTS I'll admit, but I don't see how the mechcommander lineage is any less an RTS. They still have resource management to them because what you have at the start of the mission is what you have for the whole mission (generally) and making optimal use of your limited resources is a big part of the fun. Selecting a subset of units to run a single mission with is a staple of TBS and comes from tabletop wargames. Making it realtime is a very interesting twist to the whole thing when it is done correctly.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

The original Red Alert was probably the peak of single player RTS campaigns. As much as I like generals, it was never had soul when it came to the campaign. Warcraft 3, Mechcommander 2, Starcraft, and Emperor: Battle for Dune would round out my top 5 SP campaigns (somedays AOE2 makes it just for the mongol campaign alone.) The weird missions and goofy cutscenes really helped make those games so much more memorable. It's sad that the death RTSs has led to their extinction, even the occasional RTS you do see now is often too focused on online & MP balance to be all that fun playing SP.
Tiberian Sun > Red Alert

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Feels like Starcraft type games and their eventual evolution into Mobas killed RTS genre.

Mobas are cancer.

Mobas are not bad, actually they are the only online genre i play. At least they are meant to be online only experiences since start without lying and not single player online hybrid crap.

Ok so chess is single player online hybrid crap too right because you can have an AI play as the opponent so there's a single player mode

Archibald

Arcane
For me, what also is unfortunate is the trend of making single player campaigns require online-skills, so to speak.
What I mean is that I used to play RTS games rather slow. Many of the earlier RTSes allowed you to reduce game speed, which I'd often do, and the general way the games and it's AI worked allowed for such playing style.

Modern RTSes, however, are often frantically paced, and when you can't come up with an efficient build order that makes use of the given resources in a very efficient fashion, chances are the AI will show up on your doorstep with a gargantuan army you can't ever hope to beat.
So you gotta hasten up your playing speed considerably in order to keep pace, and participate in the style of game that's better suited for an AI that can do all things simultaneously.
This approach to design RTS games, however, pushes them out of my comfort zone.

I think you are mixing up skill level variance with game speed here.

rezaf

Cipher
I think you are mixing up skill level variance with game speed here.

In the first sentence of the passage you quoted I even write we're talking skill, ultimately.
But I for one don't want to learn to play games I boot up in the evenings after a busy day like a korean who spent years in Starcraft university. So why not allow clumsy me to reduce gamespeed for a bit and still enjoy your game?

Archibald

Arcane
Or you could pick up another game, granted which is a bit problematic in RTS genre these days. Either way I find your post a bit strange considering that big part of Codex's "identity" is idea that people should learn games and they shouldn't be streamlined/popamoled/etc for the masses which you are kinda advocating here.

rezaf

Cipher
I'm a bit torn on this.
On one hand I do think you have a point ... but on the other, aren't we already talking about a game here that has been dumbed down to have simpler, more accessible gameplay?

But maybe ... yeah, maybe I should instead replay old popamole favorites like Age of Empires, Warzone 2100 or even Warwind.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now it's going SPAAAACE :lol::

The Invasion Has Begun!

8-Bit Invaders! is a fast-paced, retro Real-Time Strategy game for the PC. Control the military might of the GALACTIC MARINE CORPS or invade with the devastating power of the alien CRANIOIDS! No matter which side you choose, everything in 8-Bit Invaders! is easy to understand for beginners and hardcore gamers alike. Collect resources, build your army, and then crush your opponent!

Conquering the Multiverse was never so easy.

A 24 mission single-player campaign comes with achievements and technology that grow your destructive power with every victory. Fight alone or find a buddy and take on the enemy together in 10 additional co-op missions. Or, test your skills against the AI in a variety of 2, 4, 6 or 8-player maps in skirmish battles.

8-Bit Invaders! includes all of this, and more…
  • 24 offline campaign missions.
  • New 'Conquer The Multiverse' real-time strategic metagame has both prebuilt and procedurally generated scenarios for endless opportunities to invade new worlds
  • Classic Base-Building mechanics let you construct the ultimate HQ from which to launch attacks against your foes.
  • Easy to understand advanced military and alien units and structures lets RTS beginners jump right in.
  • 10 co-op missions to play with your friends.
  • Destructible environments on maps ranging from small to very large.
  • 2-8 player battles against Human and AI opponents of varying skill levels.
  • A rocking soundtrack from composer Frank Klepacki.
  • Full cross-play with 8-Bit Armies and 8-Bit Hordes for those epic MEGA BATTLES between factions across games, and the Multiverse!
  • From the same team that brought you RTS classics such as Star Wars: Empire at War, Universe at War, and Grey Goo.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Full cross-play with 8-Bit Armies and 8-Bit Hordes for those epic MEGA BATTLES between factions across games, and the Multiverse!
Wait, so all those games are "compatible" with each other and you can fight space invaders with orcs?

Waiting for the reduced price combo-pack, then.
Might be good fun for some hours - until you grow tired of the style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom