Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Petroglyph unleashes the "8 Bit Armies"

80s Stallone

Arcane

A Blast from the Past
8-Bit Armies is a classic, C&C-style Real-Time Strategy PC game. It's our most fast-paced, friendly, and accessible RTS game to date. Featuring offline single-player missions, co-op mode, skirmish, and PvP multiplayer modes running on dedicated servers.

Initial release includes:

25 offline campaign missions
10 co-op missions to play with your friends
10 multiplayer/skirmish maps that support up to 8 players online
AI with multiple difficulty options to play with cooperatively or fight against
Classic Base-Building mechanics let you construct the ultimate HQ from which to launch attacks against your foes
Destructible environments on maps ranging from small to very large
Easy to understand modern military units and structures lets RTS beginners jump right in
From the same team that brought you RTS classics such as Star Wars: Empire at War, Universe at War, and Grey Goo

8-Bit Armies is for anyone that enjoys RTS games, or felt overwhelmed by more serious games. With hours of solo and co-op gameplay included, there's something here for everyone!

Supposed to be like old C&C, except ugly looking.

Dayyālu

Arcane
After trying for years to get a hit in (Universe at War and Grey Goo) and obtaining only middling sales, well, it's logical. Cheap assets for a game for the lowest common denominator.

Basic C&C gameplay is always fun, it needs only a bit of tweaking and this seems to be focused on the "kid-friendly" side of things like Overwatch and the like. Can't condemn them from trying, all their more ambitious projects have been kinda "good-for-what-they-are" and nothing else.

Even if yeah, it's ugly as fuck.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is how Quake 3 looked like when Pro players played it. They would remove all extra graphics and only have basic blocks of a 3d game.

If this game is fast, fun and cheap to buy and they focus on competitive community, it can do wonders.

MachineCommander

Educated
Looks pretty shitty, but if it has a proper singleplayer campaign (and soundtrack) then I wouldn't mind picking it up on sale.

Delbaeth

Learned
Could be fun. With a few drinks.
But, hey, Minecraft generation.

ArchAngel

Arcane
April 22th. $15.
Where did you get the 15$ from?
I have not seen it mentioned anywhere.

What I have seen is that game releases with 1 faction that only has 2 infantry, 3 vehicles and 2 air units that can fight. In addition it also has engineers, harvesters and transport helicopter. It is super barebones. Also seems MP maps are same that you are going to be playing the campaign on. So we can probably guess that campaign will be super simple.

If 15$ is the real price, I am not sure the game will be worth even that much.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
April 22th. $15.
Where did you get the 15$ from?
I have not seen it mentioned anywhere.

What I have seen is that game releases with 1 faction that only has 2 infantry, 3 vehicles and 2 air units that can fight. In addition it also has engineers, harvesters and transport helicopter. It is super barebones. Also seems MP maps are same that you are going to be playing the campaign on. So we can probably guess that campaign will be super simple.

If 15$ is the real price, I am not sure the game will be worth even that much.

Still better than Battle of the Sands, which had 1 unit.

80s Stallone

Arcane
Where did you get the 15$ from?[/QUOTE]

well, confirmed by now.

so this is the tech tree: :D:D:D

unit_tree.jpg

WTF, Petroglyph, you have a fully working and decent RTS engine at your hands and what are you doing? A game with less units than the first C&C!!!

You should rather release your engine and at least some indie developers could try to make some decent RTS games.

I think Petroglyph is broke, if this fails, they are gone.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This shit could have been done by 1 person (or 2 if that developer cannot also do this simple art). I have no clue what they are doing.

Erzherzog

Magister
Going off of the tech tree, this game looks to be slightly more complex than rock, paper, scissors. And if they somehow monumentally fuck up and make the game unbalanced, actually simpler than rock, paper, scissors. Unless the UI is utter shit.

Who came up with the bright idea that an absolutely barebones RTS was a good idea?

But they know it's stupid. That's why it's barely even mentioned on their website.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Going off of the tech tree, this game looks to be slightly more complex than rock, paper, scissors. And if they somehow monumentally fuck up and make the game unbalanced, actually simpler than rock, paper, scissors. Unless the UI is utter shit.

Who came up with the bright idea that an absolutely barebones RTS was a good idea?

But they know it's stupid. That's why it's barely even mentioned on their website.
On their forums they said they wanted to make a RTS that would bring in people new to RTS. That is why it is simple and cheap. And it will have Co-op MP missions.

Erzherzog

Magister
I feel like making a game simpler than some cell phones games is not the right move though.

I mean it's so simple I fail to see how it could be any fun at all.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I feel like making a game simpler than some cell phones games is not the right move though.

I mean it's so simple I fail to see how it could be any fun at all.
Well it is out in 3 days and we will find out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom