Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yeah but the long delay between releases sucks penis. Everything gonna get spoiled again.

Martius

Liturgist
Damn nigga. I thought we were gonna get it in 2016. That's a long time from now, never mind the fact that EU might get it even later.
In theory Persona Q and last version of Arena were released pretty fast. Still, its Atlus so who knows how it will turn out this time.

tet666

Augur
God i hope Sega forces them to make a PC version somehow i really don't want to buy a crappy second hand PS3 to play this in in sub 1080p and no i won't buy a PS4 again just sold mine cause there was really nothing exclusive on it that interest me after Blloodborne, it collected dust for years and the prices will plummet after the Neo is out next year.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They'll be crying like an anime fan on Valentine's Day.
More than likely they are anime fans to begin with.

One minute in. Persona is pretty much anime to begin with.
Oh, now I understand the reference. Persona is definitely at least VN status. It has it's own anime adaptation ffs (which, isn't all that rare apparently - thanks Tales!).

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The Persona animes are garbage tho. The first one is an incredibly loose sequel to P3 with crap Personae that look like mecha and the Persona 4 anime is so awful because it's made on a shoestring budget.

lightbane

Arcane
It does look good and fun. The series has changed quite a lot since the terribad Persona 3.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I know I said it before but the damn interface and HUD design is getting me so incredibly hard.

... or maybe it's the cat.

:shredder:

Edit: Everything about this interface is genius. The transition into battle. The seamless battle result "screen" transition right into the map. It's legitimately so well done.

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
hnng

I keep trying to not get excited for this since the English release is still some 8 months away but fuck, everything they show gives me a boner.

roll-a-die

Magister
Holy fuck I want it NOW. God damn.

I don't care if Atlus has to chain their translators up in a cubicle 24/7 overseen by monkeys with shock batons and conditions akin to a Chinese factory. I just want it now.

HotSnack

Cipher
I know I said it before but the damn interface and HUD design is getting me so incredibly hard.

... or maybe it's the cat.

:shredder:

Edit: Everything about this interface is genius. The transition into battle. The seamless battle result "screen" transition right into the map. It's legitimately so well done.
I definitely admire what the persona team have been doing with their UI with each new game and think its a really smart move: The trend for the last decade or so has been a minimalist/non-existent UI for videogames for increased "immersion". But persona have instead took the opposite approach and made the UI as much a part of the game's identity as everything else. I hope other devs take note of this and stop being embarrassed about having UI in videogames.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I definitely admire what the persona team have been doing with their UI with each new game and think its a really smart move: The trend for the last decade or so has been a minimalist/non-existent UI for videogames for increased "immersion". But persona have instead took the opposite approach and made the UI as much a part of the game's identity as everything else. I hope other devs take note of this and stop being embarrassed about having UI in videogames.
"Buh-but muh cinematic immersion." Meanwhile the UI in P5 makes me feel even more immersed. But it takes a real game developer to realize that, not a failed movie director.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the best persona is the first one for ps1. the western/european release is superior in script and execution of story than the original JP release. hard-core first-person view dungeons with (sometimes) above-average dungeon design, a great variety of ways to do battle including melee weapons and guns, and of course, your personas, and the best demon-negotiation system out of ANY of the persona games due to the dialog being both "real" and "comedic" without EVER slipping into "juvenile" or even worse, "pedestrian".

it also features the irrefutably best soundtrack out of all the persona games as it borrows from shin megami tensei series and goes for a slightly more mature soundtrack full of evocative piano, pipe organs, opera wailing that is not played for jokes, and some pretty choice electronic ambiance tracks inside a lot of the dungeons. sadly persona 1 was the last persona game to feature a good OST. as good as persona 2 is its soundtrack was a herald of things to come.

persona 2, also for ps1, features the best written story in the series and no surprise it also features the best written characters. spoiler as to why: because it's the only persona that has a Adult main cast. however the absence of the first-person dungeon design is SORELY missed as it utilizes the now Persona-staple overhead view for navigation... sad. very sad. the mechanics were also greatly dumbed down from persona 1 and any and all vestiges of the HUGE, HUGE influence that the SMT games had on the development of persona 1 are already disappearing in persona 2, and by persona 3... well, might as well be living on the moon.

perosna 3 and 4 are atrocious garbage and feature no redeeming qualities. avoid. persona 5 also looks unbelievably horrible.

EDIT: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE DO NOT EVER, _EVER_, PLAY THE PSP REMAKES OF PERSONA 1 and PERSONA 2 !!!!!

dumbed down, sanitized, casualized and their living hearts ripped out of each game's chest, blood dripping from the pumping thing while slowly ceasing eventually its movement while the sounds of the j-pop OST's that they inserted into the remakes of both games is heard.

the mere fact that they replaced both games' OST's in favor of j-pop tunes is all of the information you need to make the decision that the remakes are abominations.

they also edited and censored large chunks of the persona 1 and persona 2 innocent sin scripts, btw. There are many images that can be found via google showing side-by-side shots of persona 1 NPC interactions and the remake script is... well, it was fucking made for babies, whereas the original game script for persona 1 and persona 2 have teeth, nails, bite, heart and a fucking negro.

truly the downfall and continued R A P E of the persona series is a sad and very informative lesson about all you really need to know concerning the future direction of the japanese video game industry... i.e. no good games are made anymore and what was good once is no longer palatable to the products of the decades-long manipulations of all those Faceless Corporations (tm) and their now fruitful masterplan of tardification of the people so that they would could develop inferior and intelligence-insulting products that would not be questioned by its consumer.

this is the type of competently written dialog that is forever gone from the persona series. the dialog in the images you are about to see are from persona 1 and 2, original psx, and while by no menas is this shit high art, or hell, even basic literary; they are however full of wonderful and seemingly EFFORTLESS characterization of every single character you meet in the game and of course that includes the main casts most of all. Everyone in persona 1 and persona 2 is simultaneously nice, comedic, cryptic, mysterious, and forever straddling the line between "serious business story" and "satire? no... is it parody? i don't know. tongue-in-cheek it's not, however". that is a fine line but they managed it!

from persona 1:
persona1b.jpg

just your average comment from the school's student president being interrogated on suspicion of demonic activity by our intrepid heroes.

from persona 2:
persona-2-innocent-sin-Screenshot-4.jpg

your run-of-the-mill high school principal harassing our fearless silent protanist. notice how not only is there usage of very mild profanity but how this simple dialog from hannya shows he might be a royal dick but he also has a sense of humor. except he's a total dick.

from persona 1:
revelationspersona_22509.png

...ok, these two images are loaded. on the left Alana is complaining about having to go see the school doctor after the demon outbreak in the beginning of the game leads to the school forcing its students to receive medical examinations to see how they are holding up and if they are being affected. Alana is a sexualized stereotype of a character but she has probably the absolutely funniest lines in the entire game simply because she DGAF and she's dumb as a brick. it's perfect!

in fact, Alana's contract-negotiations with demons are almost exclusively comprised of alana saying mildly alarmingly stuff like promising zombies that she likes to rub night-cream on her chest before going to bed if answering a question about herself from the demon. she also mentions how she always forgets to wear underwear. sure, it's absolutely and completely juvenile but it's all in the EXECUTION, and throughout the story Alana does receive a character arc where she ends up much wiser person. plus it's never down to a level of "fan service". she is just being herself. again, CHARACTERIZATION.

...ok, now to the right-side picture. That's... actually i completely forgot her name. Anyway, after the demonic outbreak and subsequent rampage and domination of the persona 1 heroe's town by these things the place has gone into complete lockdown with the national guard on the streets, families huddles inside their homes in sheer terror of the things bumping outside in the night and in that picture she has finally made her way back the High School after having gotten seperated and the students have posted guards on the school gates and demand a password as proof of both humanity and also to be given access to the school itself.

first, the good: everything I just described sounds really fucking cool doesn't it? yes, yes it does. it's like... oh my god, it's like THE GAME'S STORY IS ACTUALLY COHERENT AND COMPETENTLY MADE!!!!! Imagine that... right? Now, to be fair, everything I just described is also a complete rip-off of the shin megami tensei games... they do the same thing. example: go play Nocturne on PS2.

the bad: LOOK AT THAT MOTHERFUCKING RACIST AS FUCK POEM THE JAPANESE WRITERS CAME UP WITH!!!!!!!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLOLOL

and you know of COURSE that it was censored and removed in the psp remake.

to finish this, below you will see persona 1's Mark arguing with Brad about the danger of playing an occult game like "Persona", while Brad tries to bully mark into playing. The character of Mark is steadfast friend and protector but with a heart of gold, etc, and the character of Brad is the insecure narcissist with ego-problems and a burgeoning desire to control and manipulate people. Yes, both of them accomplish the fulfillment of such character traits in a mildly juvenile manner because they are, of course, juvenile high school students.

images

mark challenges brad and blatantly insults him. I wish you to know that this dialog was censored/edited int he psp remake. He does not exhibit any sort of human-like character in the remake and instead speaks only in generic placeholder dialog that is only there to hammer home to the psp player every "important" plot point because while at the same being completely neutered so as not to offend, in even the smallest way possible such as censoring the motherfucking word 'stupid'.

below, brad responds. Brad is an emotoinally stunted teenager who lashes out and is highly narcissistic. on the left is his ps1 response to mark, and on the right the PSP response. I will leave it to you to decide which is more I N T E R E S T I N G. no, not which is more literary, and no, not which has better grammar: but rather which of two serves the caracter better?

3903796423_42331909fc.jpg

for those who have played persona 1 they know that mark is incredibly sensitive about people thinking he is not intelligent because he continually flunks classes. Mark's usage of the word 'stupid' was 100% intentional. And sadly all of this subtext is completely absent in the remake. Also, i'd like to point out the psp remake's need to label brad, LITERALLY label him as "Smug Student", as if they themselves have so little faith in their script that they do not feel confident that their dialog by itself will be able to convey proper characterization, and thus they decided to label each character so that the poor, poor person playing the psp remake doens't have to wonder about the mystery of any of these character for even one second as it is all laid out already. BADLY.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom