Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 4: Golden

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hey... you may know I'm going through some huge personal problems right now. Or you may not, it's not relevant more than as an introduction to my next sentence: due to my current condition I want to treat myself.

P4 was my favorite jRPG in... well... a decade? It's well-made in every regard. How much you like it depends on your personal taste but for me, the cast was endearing, the music cheerful, the mood up-beat- exactly what I could use right now. But I already played it - once, five years ago.

Now I was wondering if any of you had played it when it came out, and then played the VIta Golden version. My question is whether or not it's worth getting- if the additional content makes it worth playing again.

A secondary question: are there any other Vita games I might enjoy? I understand it's a fairly open question but I've been here long enough, you probably know what I'd enjoy.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The Atelier games... don't interest me. Now, I've never tried one, but... well, maybe I would once I have a Vita, just for lack of other games.

I am happy you are odd, by the way.

Not sure if I'd buy a Vita for the game, but one was given to me as a gift and I spent countless hours playing Golden. Whether or not it's worth it probably depends on how much you liked the original, but I will say that there was a lot of effort put into Golden and it really shows. I will probably go into more detail later but for now I must slumber.

and sorry to hear about your troubles

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, the /v'/s list of Vita games isn't much encouraging, besides P4 and Totori, only Disgaea 3 and Dynasty Warriors NEXT are of interest to me, but I can play them on PS3 as well...

Maybe Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, as it is a sequel to DS's 999, that I quite enjoyed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Hmmm... doesn't look like a Vita is worth it, then. Though I am interest in Zero Escape- I love 999. Still, a console for just two games... it wouldn't be the first time I did that, but it's something I'll need to save up for and think about for a while, until some more games emerge.

And you weren't kidding... that list is... it's something...

e-mailio estevez

Love it so much. The cast is just...

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The additional content is pretty good all-around, the only real problem I have is with Marie. She just feels tacked on at times, and her inclusion in the game results in it having about three different emotional climaxes that brought up alot of bad memories about the first time I read Return of the King.

Game's also easier all-round, they removed most of the methods of cheesing and rebalanced Naoto to make her an actually viable fighter, but at the same time they added checkpoints to the entrance of every dungeon floor you go into, allow you to select which abilities your persona inherits, allow you to buy skills you've found via skill cards (though they're only really useful in NG+, as you'll spend most of your first playthrough finding most of the fucking things) and give you several more methods of maxing out your social links much earlier (though this was probably done to account for the two new ones mucking up pre-set schedules.

But honestly, I probably wouldn't recommend buying a Vita for it alone. I was lucky in that I was able to get mine extremely cheap with Golden and Virtue's Last Reward. It's still ultimately the Persona 4 you played the first time, just with the combat fine-tuned a little and a few more bells and whistles added on.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Lucky you! Seems like you got the only two games worth playing... Maybe I'll get a cheapo used one.

Those changes sound bad to me, by the way. I am - well, why mince words? I'm very good at this kind of game. I dominated P4 on Expert since it was markedly easier than P3 FES Expert. I know there's an added difficulty but all the changes that you list seem like they'd sort of trivialize it.

Then again, this is one of the few games I might play on Easy and "just for the story" if I ever replay it... so it's not the end of the world.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Jasede my bro, if you want to be entertained by something silly I suggest you emulate Shadow of Madness for PSX, it has a farming robot killer, a floating head (that will take over a body of a killed boss) a main character without angst and some light horror elements.
You can avoid battles pressing L1+R1
It's harder than most jrpgs
It's totally silly.
MC is not angsty
Graphic is shit.

also :love:cheer up bro.

sfou

Literate
I personally enjoyed it a lot; the stuff that makes it easier isn't exactly unwelcome, and never cheap, and some of it might make the harder modes easier--but in a good way. For example, it's not as bad to retry the same boss a couple times if there's a checkpoint not long before it, instead of going through the whole area again...

The add-ons to the story range from awful to pretty good, depending on your tolerance and/or love for animu high school hijinks.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Didn't think Adachi's social link was that great, either. It's just kinda there to show that deep down inside, the whiny shithead you fought at the end of the game was actually... a whiny shithead. It's pretty clear it was only included to appease his fans.

Is that even a spoiler anymore?

TigerKnee

Arcane
I think that link was added because some people thought it was super meta-gamey to find the culprit using the tactic of "this is the only guy who isn't a social link or literally impossible by virtue of being dead."

Jasede, If you're already good at the games in this series, expect to roll through this game without a sweat. Golden introduces a number of different ways that let you completely break the game over your knee. Between shuffle time, the overblown XP rates, skill cards and pickable skills... yeah, the game is a good deal easier than the PS2 if you minmax even remotely. That being said, I still found breaking the game open to be a lot of fun, if a little monotonous by the end.

For one, Golden Hands no longer just give a large amount of yen, they give you a shitload of xp as well. They're also much more common in this game than in the PS2 version, and easy to initiate combat with. Which would be fine if they were hard to kill. But all you have to do is throw some damage items that you can buy in the shop, and that's 50 unmitigated damage which is usually 2/3 of their life bar. By the time they start nulling items you'll probably have almighty spells and mind charge. Due to this, in my first play through I think I was level 75 rolling around with Surt by the time I finished Risette's dungeon.

Being overlevelled was partly my fault, though. I played it on Hard, which makes yen costs to summon persona skyrocket. This, btw, is always something about the series that always annoyed me... their whole selling point is the fusion system but imposing such heavy yen costs kind of dissuades experimentation and punishes 'bad' fusions to severely. But anyways, I needed yen, so I farmed yen by killing gold hands and then I completely broke the game. welp.

Also the new shuffle time can also make your dudes incredibly broken. This is mainly due to these:
RpLolTo.jpg

Shuffle time is basically a list of different cards now, you don't have to guess at which card you're going to pick a la P3 or pick cards out of a whirling tornado like the PS2 version. You just pick from a list. The brokenness comes in due to the +stat cards, free level up cards, and cards that upgrade a random skill of your persona to the next tier. i.e., Resist Ice becomes Null Ice. Ziodyne becomes Maziodyne. And so on. The +stat cards are frequent enough (and if you're spergy enough like me, you'll notice certain stats cards 'drop' more often in certain dungeons :avatard:) that you can get several level-ups worth of bonuses to a persona in just a few shuffle. I think my succubus was getting near max magic by the time she was like level 60. That said, I don't necessarily mind the fact that shuffle time is the way it is. It gives you more freedom to spec your personas the way you want, and the Level Up and +stat cards make even low-level persona viable for the end game if you spend enough time farming them up. Or not:
tB2Uxgw.jpg

So now I've typed a bunch of words which basically amount to 'this game is easy'. But it doesn't necessarily have to be. The game got hard again once I cracked open New Game+ and started imposing a few handicaps on myself. Golden's NG+ actually lets you set different aspects of the game's difficulty. So you can make custom adjustments to XP and yen gains, or player and enemy damage. I turned XP way down, stopped picking +XP cards from shuffle time and stopped attacking Gold Hands altogether. Suddenly, I'm not overlevelled and the game is challenging again. Level more than anything seems to be the biggest factor in how much damage you receive and how much damage you do. When you're 10 levels lower than the monsters you're fighting it's not uncommon for a trash mob to 1-shot you if you don't have a defense buff up. Suddenly bosses are lethal again, require foresight, and a good knowledge of their attack pattern. Suddenly success or failure depends on having a stable of smartly-made personas in your pocket again. Basically, try not to overlevel, or make NG+ your *real* playthrough..

ANYWAYS, as far as the new Golden stuff.... well, the new social links are a mixed bag. Marie is pretty groan-inducing, and I skipped through a majority of her dialogue. I can't say the new dungeon is fun. A lot of the new events and set pieces aren't lacking that Persona charm. There are a little additional ease of use odds and ends here and there that I can't remember, but a lot of effort was made to refine the experience and it shows. There are lot of costumes and flavor text that goes with them. If you end up buying the game make sure to date everyone because Valentine's day ends up being hilarious.

I think it goes without saying that I am very gay for this game I've sunk more time into than I should have in good conscience. For your Vita purchase, also consider that it's an excellent shitter game. You can easily knock out a social link level or two by the time you're ready to wipe. The Vita's not all bad, and I'm pretty confident there will be a decent library for it eventually. I've spent a lot of time playing Jetpack Joyride which is free to play. Soul Sacrifice is also turning out pretty fun. And if you like fighting games, DOA looks good and I hear good things about the MvC3 port.

Malpercio

Arcane
But i thought the codex hated waifus simulators!

The additional content is pretty good all-around, the only real problem I have is with Marie. She just feels tacked on at times, and her inclusion in the game results in it having about three different emotional climaxes that brought up alot of bad memories about the first time I read Return of the King.

Marie is literally a self-insert mary sue fanfiction character. She's so special that she's even more special than the other special characters
The power to decide the weather? REALLY?
, everyone likes and loves her for no reason and she was added later to the plot and feels tacked on.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished the game today. ~ 72 hours
:5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5:

So solid, I really believe that this game must be a systemseller for Vita, actually, I bought it pretty much because of this game.

The only minor complaint - the girlfriend system, it has no particular benefits, no interesting mechanics, just a couple of cutscenes, while the whole other game the characters do not show any tiny it that they are dating. And even in the cutscenes, you know, the characters are not even holding hands... Hope something will be done in P5.

Otherwise the amount of content is massive! (I didn't get the true ending, because I found out about it later, but it was too much, though maybe I'll get a second playthrough some time).

Probably, the best JRPG I've ever played.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
We all kinda hoped it'd be about adults or young adults, but hey as long as it's stylish and interesting and has challenging fights I'm all for it.
Personally I hope for a bit of gay stuff, though of course this being Japan it's unlikely, other than the usual "everyone wants the MC".

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We all kinda hoped it'd be about adults or young adults, but hey as long as it's stylish and interesting and has challenging fights I'm all for it.
Personally I hope for a bit of gay stuff, though of course this being Japan it's unlikely, other than the usual "everyone wants the MC".
It will still be about school, though it would be more dark.
Not sure about the gay stuff, but yeah "everyone wants the MC" is pretty lame.

Blackguard

Learned
Finished the game today. ~ 72 hours
:5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5::5/5:

So solid, I really believe that this game must be a systemseller for Vita, actually, I bought it pretty much because of this game.

The only minor complaint - the girlfriend system, it has no particular benefits, no interesting mechanics, just a couple of cutscenes, while the whole other game the characters do not show any tiny it that they are dating. And even in the cutscenes, you know, the characters are not even holding hands... Hope something will be done in P5.

Otherwise the amount of content is massive! (I didn't get the true ending, because I found out about it later, but it was too much, though maybe I'll get a second playthrough some time).

Probably, the best JRPG I've ever played.

P4G has been the best selling Persona game so far. That's saying something considering that it's only on Vita, and not even being a completely new game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey... you may know I'm going through some huge personal problems right now. Or you may not, it's not relevant more than as an introduction to my next sentence: due to my current condition I want to treat myself.

P4 was my favorite jRPG in... well... a decade? It's well-made in every regard. How much you like it depends on your personal taste but for me, the cast was endearing, the music cheerful, the mood up-beat- exactly what I could use right now. But I already played it - once, five years ago.

Now I was wondering if any of you had played it when it came out, and then played the VIta Golden version. My question is whether or not it's worth getting- if the additional content makes it worth playing again.

A secondary question: are there any other Vita games I might enjoy? I understand it's a fairly open question but I've been here long enough, you probably know what I'd enjoy.

Well, the gamestop list has 3 pages. Some of them recur though.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/ps-vita/role-playing?nav=131af-6a

To be honest, I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean games like "Shin Megami Tensei", then no, most Atlus games are released on the 3DS and none are quite like Persona 4 anyway. Persona releases on Sony products because it has always had a large audience there.

Blackguard

Learned
Now join the wait for 5!
yep, it's a shame there is no info except the teaser, though the game release is set to the end of this year

It's set to release winter 2014 in Japan. I guess it's possible that it will be released in the west at the same time, but it would be a first for the Persona games. Most likely it will be available here in early/mid 2015.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom