Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PC or PS4, please convince me

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Ok so please bare with me. I have some extra cash and had almost decided to buy a new game PC. My current one is old, don't know the exact specs but I use a HD5670 video card.

So I wanted to buy a new computer for around 600-700 euro's so I can play all glorious PC games on max graphics again. This was supposed to be my system (more or less):

Intel Core i5-4460 Boxed
Gigabyte G1.Sniper B5
Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 With Boost
WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB
Cooler Master N300 (KKN1, closed)
Gelid Solutions Tranquillo Rev.2
Crucial Ballistix Tactical BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU
XFX 550W Pro
Crucial MX100 256GB

Total price: 700 euro's. (might try to sneak in an R9280X instead of 7950)

But now I started thinking what am I actualy going to use this system for?

I'm greatly looking forward to Torment, PoE, W2, Stasis, Darkest Dungeon, Satelite Reign. But all of those are perfectly playable on my current machine.

So what else is there that I'm missing? I used to play all of these actiony titles (Deus Ex HR, Dishonored, Mass Effects, The Witcher 2) on my console. Is the experience actualy noticebly better on PC?

And most of all: is there any good games coming with state of the art graphics?

As far as I can see:

New Total War games suck and older ones I can still play on my current computer.
RTS genre is pretty much dead.
Am not a FPS guy but also there it doesnt seem like much is going on.
Firaxis games are good for what they are but also dont require a great computer.

So then I was enjoying the gameplay video of Bloodborne and thought: why not buy a console? So I can play Bloodborne plus any good JRPG's that might come up plus all of these actiony titles that are designed for consoles anyway.

And all :incline: games I can still play on my old computer.

Who can save me from this dilemma and convince me to buy a new PC like I should?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Save the money. Upgrade your PC when needed. Don't throw your money by buying a console.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Buy a new PC for superior gaming, and buy a console later when it's cheap for playing exclusives.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Why people asking that question? X or Y? Why not check the fuking games on any of these things and bought that with more interesing titles?

sbb

Learned
If you don't have a reason to get a new PC then get a PS4...

Martius

Liturgist
If you want to play only Bloodborne I would just wait until more games will come out. Personally I would wait until Atlus will start making some games on it. Which will take them decade at least, i guess?

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Why people asking that question? X or Y? Why not check the fuking games on any of these things and bought that with more interesing titles?

I'm kind of hoping I missed something and there is some real quality AAA PC games coming up. And with AAA I dont mean mainstream popamole. Just real PC games with a real budget.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It sounds like you want to spend money for its own sake, in which case you're a fucking idiot. A ps4 is just an obsolete PC that doesn't do as much, and PC games don't have heavy hardware requirements be because they're either cross-platform, or made by people who want to sell as many copies as possible. Save your money. Or don't, maybe it will eventually find its way to someone who would use it more wisely.

Mortmal

Arcane
Theres no reason to buy a new pc right now . If yours runs any game you really want , most even nowadays are still just xbox 360 ports . If i look in my real pc games list , theres paradox games wich could still run fine on a 8 year old pc , indies as well.

What is worth getting a brand new pc for right now ? Maybe divinity original sin, i am not sure how well it run on old hardware. In a few months or even years star citizen and elite dangerous but even those will be ported to ps4. There also flight simulators thats absolutely requires the best hardware you can field but you are not mentioning them .
My advice is dont buy anything at all till they release a new game you really absolutely want to play, and your old pc cant handle it . Price can only go down and theres absolutely no hurry.You dont even know wich exclusivities the ps4 will get by then.

So far the ps4 has only bloodborne for it , and that car game crispy want .Its cheaper than the new pc and it will only get more cheap too , but you can wait a bit and get a considerably better hardware(3X 4X more) wich wont be much more expensive you can get all the popamole on pc with better performance .The price /quality ratio is won by the pc .

Divinity: Original Sin
The only reason to buy a PS4 was to have exclusive sony game you would wish to play, but the only one in that system that could be probably worth is already annouced for PC, which is MGS V. I bought a PS3 some years ago, but only because it had some exclusives and remasters of some PS2 games I couldn't play back then. Also because it's a great Blu-Ray player.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What is worth getting a brand new pc for right now ?.

Dragon Age: Inquisition, both for the graphics and for the competetive edge in multiplayer. There's also speculation that Fallout 4 is right around the corner, Half-Life 2 style.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
What is worth getting a brand new pc for right now ?.

Dragon Age: Inquisition, both for the graphics and for the competetive edge in multiplayer. There's also speculation that Fallout 4 is right around the corner, Half-Life 2 style.

Yes i dont know why but i completely erased EA bioware from my memory...I tend to forget they stil release things. I think they are neither good rpg, nor good popamole.

Oh yes forgot something , there's witcher 3 too soon, in february.Op has still a lot of time before buying the pc , also you can get russian prices for it , on PS4 no way. The cheap console price dont cover the very expensive and non negotiable game prices

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom