Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview PC Gaming Show at E3 2016: Tyranny Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Nigger please, who claims that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Inform me bro. AFAICT all the basic mechanics seem the same. The way melee works, the horsemanship, the shooting, the weapon selection, etc.
Maybe the picture wasn't working for you?
It's a hand sign for "it's-a okay-a-dokay!" which means there's nothing wrong. Mount & Blade was great. All it needs is some more politics, babes, and better sieges.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Alright, it's official then...
Tyranny gameplay reveal trailer is the best 2016 hype trailer for M&B Bannerlord.

Glad some good came out of it at least! :)

Mozg

Arcane
Maybe the picture wasn't working for you?
It's a hand sign for "it's-a okay-a-dokay!" which means there's nothing wrong. Mount & Blade was great. All it needs is some more politics, babes, and better sieges.

Oh, I thought it was like "OK YOU FUKN IDIOT."

I played M&B a completely absurd amount in the mid 2000s and I discovered I was still sick of it when I tried to play some Warband in the last couple of years.

I'd kinda like to see more changes going into the corest of core gameplay stuff like adding more ways to attack/parry/whatever, to give you more scope to get more skillful with the horsemanship and melee. Mild game-fresheners like some crafting system or whatever ain't enough to soften up my "I played this game down to its component atoms" boredom.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Well the setting at least sounds different in Tranny. But I expect Obsidian
I suggest you watch the gameplay clips for as many loops as it takes for you to stop claiming this is not generic fantasy.

I know right?

But I can also understand Endlosung comment, fantasy is so tame these days with its boring Witcher, GOT dirty looks. Tranny does looks a bit stylized, those minimalist symbols and slightly apocalyptic look. I think it looks okay.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Excidium seems to be using "generic fantasy" as a synonym for "game looks boring to me". It's a Bronze Age, non-medieval-based fantasy setting and therefore automatically non-generic.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's bronze age in the sense that they said it so. I've never seen something so far away from evoking the look and feel of it. It looks generic and the fact Cloud's Sword of Fire +3 is made of bronze doesn't matter shit.

I guess PoE 2 will be a Renaissance/Age of Discovery RPG, so many original settings holy fuk.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Excidium seems to be using "generic fantasy" as a synonym for "game looks boring to me". It's a Bronze Age, non-medieval-based fantasy setting and therefore automatically non-generic.
Lolwut?
It generic as shit, Evil Lord conquered blahblahlah.
Setting mean nothing when story looks so shitty generic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lolwut?
It generic as shit, Evil Lord conquered blahblahlah.
Setting mean nothing when story looks so shitty generic.

So That Which Sleeps would have been as generic as HoMM5, okay.

Darkzone

Arcane
To be honest the last centuries of the bronze age were quite exciting. There were events like the see people destroying nearly all remaining bronz empires, the fall of the Hettites and Minoans, the rise and fall of the Mycenae and the rising of the new iron age states like David's Isreal.
What is a bit strange to me, is the use of the name of Kyros for the main villain, all Kings with the name Kyros were pretty decent Kings and good leaders.
Despite the shitty effects and SJW propaganda i will definitely try this thing out.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So That Which Sleeps would have been as generic as HoMM5, okay.
Yep, it's just indicate that someone, I don't mean you (for now) has narrowed his understanding of generic-ness (?) to elves, dwarfs, orcs ams such elements.
However generic-ness is hidden not in setting, but in banal shit boring story, which is what 100% of stories about Evil Lords truly are.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
If you don't want to see fantasy tropes, don't play fantasy games. It's not enough to make it generic, though.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Can't imagine it being any worse than PoE. At least they aren't trying to make everything generic.
FOR CENTURIES CAIROS THE OVERLORD HAS CONQUERED THE KNOWN WORLD

Fantasy is fucking retarded, all the way.

Thought occurred to me right now that AoD's setting clashes with the power armor and magixs and buddha statues of doom.

Fantasy setting where evil Overlord actually conquered everything (or anything at all) are quite rare. There's Midnight setting and Mistborn but not much else. Darksun maybe also fits. A big step-up from "Jolly band of adventurers stops evil maniac and his evil minions from doing something unspeakably evil". Of course there is a slight chance that the player will be forced to see the light and join some kind of good like in a fucking jRPG but for now I hope it won't happen.

FF6. Just saying.

Mozg

Arcane
I think most of the "generic" complaints are 'cause the art looks real cheap and boring. If they had a great artist cranking out fascinating looking designs it would set off imaginations (at least if the "lore" teaser bits weren't so distracting due to all the Lord Darktoothe Grimblade stuff that invites eyerolling).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Still, something tells me this will be better received than PoE.

I think it'll be lovely if it isn't better received, as numerous Codexers finally face the fact that it's not some mysterious "Sawyerism" that turned them off of PoE, but the simple fact that it featured more active ability use than the Infinity Engine games did. Cooldowns, baby, cooldowns.

Although, maybe with just four party members they'll be able to handle that better.

Sawyer is now in charge of setting game design imperatives for the whole studio, so your notion that that would change our opinion of Sawyer is rather naive at best.

Told you. Anti-Sawyerism has developed into a religion. There's always an explanation.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
To be honest the last centuries of the bronze age were quite exciting. There were events like the see people destroying nearly all remaining bronz empires, the fall of the Hettites and Minoans, the rise and fall of the Mycenae and the rising of the new iron age states like David's Isreal.
What is a bit strange to me, is the use of the name of Kyros for the main villain, all Kings with the name Kyros were pretty decent Kings and good leaders.
Despite the shitty effects and SJW propaganda i will definitely try this thing out.

I remember reading some Wilbur smith books, his Egypt ones where there was some fantastic battle scenes where one tribe is coming in contact with people with iron weapons and getting absolutely dominated. Imagine how demoralizing it would have been to block a sword only to have yours break...
I agree that that sort of "arms race" maybe set off against larger armies vs. better armed but smaller ones, would be an interesting setting.

Fairfax

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't think there's a video. I really wish I could see again how awkward Sawyer was during the whole thing, looked like me on christmas/new years.

Though I guess you guys are talking about the party party, not the end of campaign stream?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Inform me bro. AFAICT all the basic mechanics seem the same. The way melee works, the horsemanship, the shooting, the weapon selection, etc.

As stated already by other fellow codexers, combat has never been M&B's problem. On the contrary, it's extremely good, it manages to be fairly realistic and fun at the same time.

M&B's weakness was the generic quests and lack of politics in the game. It had very few and repetitive quests and not much to do in the world besides recruiting soldiers, spending points in skills for you and your companions, killing everything that moves and conquering all castles/towns. They're fixing it in this new game, hence why everyone is excited about it. And to be honest, combat is so good that the game is worth playing for that alone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom