Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PC Gaming is Dead (this time we really mean it)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Marketshare. Cost of development. Return on investment.

Doesn't necessarily mean there's no room for both, but PC gaming as we currently know it is still in jeopardy IMO.

kazgar

Arcane
Doesn't this argument also completely overlook the rise and high importance of the esports crowd? I don't think all those professional and wannabee MOBA/starcraft players will be using consoles for their games anytime soon. (CoD idiots aside) Its a marketing boon for niche pc/component makers and the whole pc gaming industry.

Raapys

Arcane
I'm not so sure. I mean, PC gaming has been dead for years; we've only had shitty ports of shitty AAA games. But now the indie and small-time dev scenes are bigger than ever, and still growing and producing much more quality than the triple A companies.

And that's another thing. The mobile market is *filled* with small-time devs. That shit has more competition than p.much any other market, of any type, in the world. Big publishers/devs despise competition, because it introduces risk. And another problem is that graphics and production quality is less important on mobile, which makes their big budget titles have less of an advantage against games produced by low-budget teams.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Doesn't this argument also completely overlook the rise and high importance of the esports crowd? I don't think all those professional and wannabee MOBA/starcraft players will be using consoles for their games anytime soon. (CoD idiots aside) Its a marketing boon for niche pc/component makers and the whole pc gaming industry.

I don't think those guys are going to make much of a difference to HP's CEO when he's looking at the P&L's from last year. The writing is on the wall in terms of what we're going to be seeing from now on on Best Buy's shelves, and it's not going to be regular PC's. That may not matter to you, but once a landslide starts it's hard to stop it.

Those of you who are making the argument that the niche market will sustain PC gaming for long enough (which is essentially your main point) are probably correct, but a niche is a niche for a reason. I'd almost rather bear a quick and sudden death than a long, slow burnout of the hobby I grew up loving.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Indies and mid-size devs prefer PC to consoles because niche genre fans tend to play on PC, and PC still has modding and even mods becoming full games (many multiplayer shooters that became popular started out as mods, it still happens regularly).

It doesn't fucking matter how high the market share of PC is. It's profitable. And it will stay profitable for a long time. Steam is a money printing machine and shows how many people play PC games. Even some non-gamer friends I know have steam. My girlfriend isn't much of a gamer but has steam, and we sometimes play PC games together. She doesn't own a console, but her PC can run games so she uses it for that purpose sometimes. Everyone has a PC, and so even the non-gamer crowd can be reached by some games that might catch their interest. No need to buy an extra device, everyone has a PC for work or internet or whatever.
GoG is also profitable. Heck, they make a profit selling 20 year old games. Yeah, they're not as huge as Steam, but they're still very profitable. And they also sell new games nowadays and act as a DRM-free Steam alternative. And it works. Both GoG and Steam make money by the buckets. And they manage to reach lots and lots of people, more than were ever reached by retail games.
Kickstarter is a big thing. Anything from small indie games with a budget of 5000 dollars to big 1 mil projects by industry veterans gone independent gets funded there as long as the pitch is good enough. And, boy, did kickstarter show those "RPGs/adventure games/PC gaming is dead!" fags that there still is a demand for that kind of shit!

Yeah, PC gaming isn't dying. In fact, it is currently rising from the state of almost-death it was rotting in for the last decade.

We'll Windows 7 screwed the pooch by making a desktop built for tablets and selling it on PC. It hurt Microsoft so badly that they gave their biggest ever met culpa and promised that future Windows platforms would be designed specifically for PC, in consultation with business buyers that use desktops for most of their work, and that while they will still chase the tablet market, they'll separate their 'windows for phones' and 'windows for PCs' in future.

That's a decent indication that until the day when you rock up at the office and strain your eyes to read the spreadsheet from the 8 inch tablet on each desk, PC will still be a sizeable market.

gromit

Arcane
Yeah smartphones and tablets are great for play, but at the end everyone still needs to be doing some work and the PC is the only way to do that.
What everyone used to mean when they said that, is "it seems inconvenient to work on a small screen without a physical keyboard."

So (as Crispy saliently pointed out) they put USB and HDMI ports on the things.

Now people say "it seems inconvenient to be bound, necessarily, to a bunch of heavy and awkwardly-shaped objects" which is a bigger hurdle. You'd have to, like, make PCs a lot smaller and lighter, take a serious look at power consumption, and have their own screens and ideally some kind of system for (passable) input without peripherals.

I, for one, just don't foresee that ever happening. And if they ever did, marketing would probably call it a "Flubgump" or something -- ipso facto it's obviously not a computer.

all of the free-to-play bullshit gaming is a bubble waiting to pop, mostly due to Tablet(s) flooding the market. Using that metric to measure the future is silly.
Fixed; half-points awarded. This plays into what JarlFrank said, touching on install base, entrenchment, and the "why not"-factor that comes with owning a multipurpose multimedia device.

This is what sustained PC gaming through all of the fads, inbreeding, market-hijinks, and hardware-wars that characterized the previous "peak" of PC gaming. It is what will sustain Flubgump gaming as well.

Probably not a popular opinion to hold here, but frankly I like my odds on a widespread technology in as many diverse hands as possible, than on a purpose-built gaming machine. The devices built for "gamers" are built, and marketed to, people whose idea of gaming is very different than mine. With the exception of a smattering of releases, it has been for a very long time.

That's the very reason I'm a PC gamer. I'd rather be pleased by the ability to install a fun game, than buy a set-top box and gradually lower my purchasing standards to justify a lock-in purchase. I think that's why the games I like are on PC.

I look at the "non-gamer" gamers I know, they have better taste by far. Non-gamer who was intrigued by Thief or HoMM, beats Grandma that DGAF killing time with Candy Crush, beats X-Bro convinced the latest whatever-just-like-the-last-one is the best thing on earth since whenever-the-last-one-was.

Where does "Codex-Bro whose tastes partially overlap with mine" fall on that chart?

Maybe it's a little unfair, but that depends on their perspective: if they pretend that hardware-turnover in the consumer market is a good thing, if they believe that the additional barrier of a "dedicated" gaming purchase (read: "you must be this passionate to ride") could ever again, in the least, foster a decent atmosphere for someone fucking sick of mainstream gaming, that sort of thing.

The hobbyism aspect was fun, when I was younger and it was all new and exciting. Now, spending a day flipping through reviews, spec sheets, marketing fluff, and all points between, in preparation to slide a pre-assembled part into its specially-shaped slot and click through a driver installation...

I still remember it fondly, but I can make it sound as boring as it actually is. It was only ever exciting because of the games waiting for me at the end of it... and I think gaming, even of the type I want, especially of the type I want, will survive without that.

Crispy's going to have to find a better way to get by, though -- now EVERYONE sells GPUs to your poor old Grandma, but now the bastards assemble it on-site and bake it into MSRP so cracka can't even get a mark-up ;)

It's the same across the board for all-things-computing... the basics and generalities are widespread enough now, that now you actually have to be good at something (and even that's no guarantee.)

So Crispy to wrap this up with a bit of back-seat driving advice: the only computer-service person I know to escape with their business and lifestyle "intact-ish" now charges an arm-and-a-leg for "critical systems recovery," meaning roughly, "saves your ass when you didn't make a back-up; also willing to fish through the hard-drive and registry for configuration stuff." And even then, I heard that his day-job is now consultancy and training.

Essentially, the stuff that either:

a) takes talent and insight beyond the minimum required to operate the tools of the trade
or b) still requires enough patience that nobody else can be arsed to do it themselves

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
In the US, PC games have mostly disappeared from stores, and at least brick&mortar retail looked mostly dead. Then again, here, if I go into a big electronic store, they have three long aisles with new (as in "not used") PC games left and right. Okay, one whole length is mostly hidden object games and similar garbage (didn't know that stuff was so popular), but it definitely doesn't even look close to dead. This might be related to the rejection of online platforms by a large part of PC gamers here, although they also have large Ubisoft and EA displays. Not sure how long this will last.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Crispy won't you always be around for PC repairs?

I agree with you that you'll probably have to either close up shop or change your business model.

Mortmal

Arcane
Pc games shelves have shrinked a lot in france too, some stores disapeared and the few left dont give them much room if any at all. In my local store theres still might and magic X boxes , not a single of them was sold, nor anything else either.I am not buying pc parts in brick and mortars shops since long either cause of the price of course, they were exhorbitant.Now i am not ordering much if anything at all online, since the xbox360 release i never had to upgrade pcs much.
Crispy's future is fixing phones and selling magic the gathering cards i fear threres not much need of those shops anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
PC games are disappearing from brick and mortar for the same reasons you don't see many video rental stores anymore: technology. People aren't going to drive somewhere and sift through inventory when they can do the same from their own home and receive the product instantly.

If your business is limited to PC sales/repairs, yeah, you're going to need to expand to survive. The shop I've had my PC built by the last two times changed their clientele over the last four or five years. They were happy to get my business but said basically no one comes in for custom builds anymore. They do a lot of network stuff for businesses and such.

Raapys

Arcane
Everyone I know buy PCs over the net. Including 'non-gamers'.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That and more and more people are savvy enough to build their own. Crispy must adapt or end up on the bread line!

gromit

Arcane
gromit, it took superhuman levels of patience just to get through your post's mega-edit, so I should be fine.
Well, that's time you could have spent practicing replacing smartphone screens. This one asshole I know makes $50 a pop and takes a mark-up on the glass. He's far enough away, that I'm considering doing it just to be helpful / pocket a little stress-free scratch. Start now and advertise, before some moonlighter beats you to it: he may already have, since he wasn't sitting in place preserving the sanctity of his shop.

Not sure what the situation is out there, but moonlighters already came for PC repair out here, and were already where they should have run to... I think it's down to one or two "Apple-sanctioned" places picking up the slack by also fastening off-brand cardboard to metal.

I hope I didn't sound like I'm trying to pick on you... that would mean a lot of wasted effort all the times I've tried to pick on you. I watched a friend go through the same, maybe eight years ago. Consider it an opportunity to evaluate which parts of the business bring you pleasure (if any) and cut back on some of the chaff.

Like tinkering with electronics? Expand your repair outside PCs, make custom guitar pedals or something, etc.

Like helping people navigate technological decisions? Guide them to the right device, either in retail or as a consultancy. (Like I was saying the other day, though, get your head around use-cases in a non-judgmental way, and don't compare apples to oranges.)

Merely like the freedom to sit around reading/writing about videogames, inserting a pithy one-liner here and there? Consider a dual-discipline position as a Kotaku Hack / Twitter Loudmouth.

Fucking sick of it anyway? Perfect! Do something completely different, simple, and humble, then redirect the leftover energy and passion you find yourself with, directly into your own pleasure instead of the vicarious "happy client, job well done" stuff. I respect that, and it certainly does count for something... but that shit can get real draining.

To whit: running any service successfully (in all terms) involves balancing this one thing for both parties: the amount of effort you put in, compared to the trouble you saved them. Keep it in those terms and you'll figure something out.

Well, living in a backwater hole probably restricts his clientele.
If it's as bad as you say, then it probably helped him keep the doors open. If his clientele weren't restricted, they'd be a target for someone else... and as sad the implication is: Crispy probably takes a lot more pride in that extra mile, than most of his clients got back any tangible gain from it.

Again, some inherent value in being an "extra-mile kind of guy" in general, but not always in an industry where people are already investing about as much as they're comfortable with. Hence, flat-rate in-store Wipe-and-Recovery at your local big box, likely covered by an under-priced, well-cushioned, no-questions-asked support plan.

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So what's the future, then?
I guess VR goggles, voice user interfaces and some kind of controller glove or something (anyone invented that outside of SciFi movies yet?) ... or maybe cameras will be enough to translate gestures into commands. I'm looking forward to it.

And about PCs vs fixed, not easily modifiable systems like consoles, tablets and mobile phones:
There will always be a market for build it yourself computers, because there will always be demand. It's just that all the computer illiterates out there are more attracted to the overpriced prebuilt stuff with fancy design (so basically what Crispy is selling ). So of course that market is growing much faster.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Maybe the death of Moore's Law is a good thing for PC gaming. People don't have to upgrade as often. Larger group of people with similar hardware.

cw8

Cipher
People play mobile games on PC, so nope, PC ain't dying :)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Xbone and PS 4 are no go zones for most indies, the free to play crowd is huge and isn't going to migrate to the consoles any time soon, kickstarter and crowdfunding is mostly PC exclusive. Mobile gamming is mega hyped but honestly, it is a different market and playing on an iphone is completely different from playing on a PC. About AAA games? Well... it isn't that you are going to miss much, everything that is single player is a clone of CoD, Uncharted, GTA, Ass Creed or Skyrim and if you played the five, you played all AAA games. Unless you have a really big hard on for schlock produced by hacks that couldn't publish a decent book on their lives so they tried the AAA gamming industry instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom