Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PC Gamer Presents: The Ultimate RPG Handbook

pippin

At the same time, iirc it's not illegal in the US to mock the competition in advertisement, for instance. Genesis does what Nintendon't and all that jazz. The problem imo is that most of them are just passive and tamed.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
After 2 months, it finally arrived:

Fe4Ncyo.jpg

AND IT'S ABSOLUTE HARAAM.

Highlights include:
Saying 2003-Today is when RPGs "grew up",
An article about Immersive Sims that doesn't mention Arx Fatalis;
An article about "The HISTORY of ARPG" that starts in the 2000's with Diablo II;
A 4-page review of Deus Ex: Invisible War that says it's respectable because it tried to make Deus Ex accessible;
Calls DA:I a "slightly uninspiring sign of stagnation" on one page and "one of the most exiting, persona, dramatic and funny stories ever bought to PCs" on another;
NOT A SINGLE MENTION of Legend of Grimrock, AoD, UnderRail, Gothic, Darklands, Realms of Arkania, etc...
This article on the future of RPGs:

eetjohv.jpg

The image speaks for itself.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After 2 months, it finally arrived:

Fe4Ncyo.jpg

AND IT'S ABSOLUTE HARAAM.

Highlights include:
An article about Immersive Sims that doesn't mention Arx Fatalis;
An article about "The HISTORY of ARPG" that starts in the 2000's with Diablo II;
A 4-page review of Deus Ex: Invisible War that says it's respectable because it tried to make Deus Ex accessible;
Calls DA:I a "slightly uninspiring sign of stagnation" on one page and "one of the most exiting, persona, dramatic and funny stories ever bought to PCs" on another;
NOT A SINGLE MENTION of Legend of Grimrock, AoD, UnderRail, Gothic, Darklands, Realms of Arkania, etc...
This article on the future of RPGs:

eetjohv.jpg

The image speaks for itself.
gross

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
"Flip for more ->"

Should be quite telling that their target audience needs a tutorial on how to use a magazine.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"The creator of The Witcher 3"? What does that even mean?
Marcin Blacha, TW3's narrative director.

That whole article is actually by a weird selection of people:
Alexis Kennedy, Sunless Sea director
Tyler Sigman, Darkest Dungeon designer
Katherine Holden, a manga artists who made a series of RPG Maker games called Vacant Skies
James Silva, former Traveller's Tales (who apparently never did RPGs, BTW)
Michelle Silva, artist from Salt & Sanctuary
Brain Fargo, current arch-enemy

It really makes you wonder what was their criteria for selection.

inb4 turns out this handbook was funded by Brian Fargo as a 'fuck you' to Codex.
Well, he's here, pimping Wasteland 3 and dreaming about one day being in the big league with Bethesda:

tGFo3tG.jpg

Note how "Any isometric game = Infinity Engine style".
:negative:

Also, funny they give the spotlight to Fargo talking about concepts & plans for W3 instead of Larian who has a game that does exactly that in Early Access. Again, funny selection of people.

What is the cover price for this magazine?
ÂŁ9,99

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Brian Fargo and inXile hope to introduce multiplayer to a roleplaying campaign

Oh ffs

They even mention the Infinity Engine that already had multiplayer in the same sentence!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Seriously, this whole book is just "The History of RPGs according to BioWare, Bethesda and some of my buddies"

They twist the truth in such a bizarre way. Like, when talking about Baldur's Gate 2 they say "made save files imports work for the first time in a (then) modern RPG". WHY you need to write garbage like that instead of giving credit to like, every goddamn RPG from the 80's?. Also, Realms of Arkania 3: Shadows over Riva is from 1996, retards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It wasn't even really a save import in a "modern" sense, it just extracted your character stats and inventory from the saved game. No world state data was imported.

Prime Junta

Are there any nuggets of new insider info there at all or is it all just PR blather?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
OMFG, I just noticed this: they don't even MENTION a single Might and Magic game!

146 pages on this "History of RPGs", 4 pages to Invisible War, but not a single WORD about Might and Magic. This is just what I was talking about, history being curated by PR. BioWare and Bethesda are around, so most of the book is spent jerking them off, while Ubisoft doesn't care for M&M do they don't even mention it. ON A BOOK ABOUT RPG HISTORY!

:deadtroll:

eXalted

Arcane
All future RPG games will be just adventure games with some numbers here and there.

And what are their reasons for that? Scan the whole thing, this trainwreck may be amusing.
Have you thought about ritually burning this garbage?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom