Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer (lol) top 100 greatest games of all times (ever)

Nuclear Explosion

IMO 2! It's great. But one of the top 100 best games ov all tid? Dunno about that. Too easy, the story's pretty shit and the AI isn't exactly stellar.
The AI isn't really any worse than other games in the genre. Yes, Dishonored's pretty easy (aside from high chaos on the highest difficulty level in the DLC) but then so are Thief and Deus Ex.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
73 Doom II
4 Team Fortress 2

63 Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
5 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

i know it's bait but ihbt i guess

thesoup

Arcane
HL1 a fucking walking sim prototype.
Hl2 is a full blown waiting sim. You pew pew and do some stupid physics tricks because it was novel in 2004 and then you wait for everyone to stop talking and open the plot door. And wait. And wait some more. Then repeat.

stray

Learned
HL1 a fucking walking sim prototype.
Hl2 is a full blown waiting sim. You pew pew and do some stupid physics tricks because it was novel in 2004 and then you wait for everyone to stop talking and open the plot door. And wait. And wait some more. Then repeat.

I feel like a spectator on this take of storytelling too. Not even walking sim.

Still happens with the big cinematic titles (like that last Battlefield).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, hard-hitting journalism right here. Next ten years people are probably gonna be like "Ugh, Skyrim and GTAV is so dated".

Telengard

Arcane
lol.. dishonored is considered that good? I couldn't even get far with it/have it on hiatus.

I don't know what else to say that isn't already obvious.
  • It's so easy you can win fights while falling asleep, long as you manage to hit a button before you go down.
  • It's a stealth game where you can fight 1:9 odds, and win without even taking a scratch.
  • The story is shallow as hell, but casually mentions deep subjects in a Disney sort of way, which supposedly somehow makes it deep and "poignant".
  • Even after you can already slaughter enemies at 1:9 odds and have a heart-sinking pistol, you still also get comic book super powers - which puts you at Superman power levels beating up on mere mortals.

You can damn well bet the gaming press and the general public lapped that shit up and demanded more.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
  • It's so easy you can win fights while falling asleep, long as you manage to hit a button before you go down.
  • It's a stealth game where you can fight 1:9 odds, and win without even taking a scratch.
  • The story is shallow as hell, but casually mentions deep subjects in a Disney sort of way, which supposedly somehow makes it deep and "poignant".
  • Even after you can already slaughter enemies at 1:9 odds and have a heart-sinking pistol, you still also get comic book super powers - which puts you at Superman power levels beating up on mere mortals.
You can damn well bet the gaming press and the general public lapped that shit up and demanded more.
Best thing about the game is how there's so many weapons, gadgets and powers to kill people you feel like you're missing on the game if you try to stealth through.

Nuclear Explosion

On the highest difficulty combat isn't as easy as you make it sound; one shot from an enemy will kill you (on the highest difficulty in the DLC one hit from an enemy will kill you).
Also, it's a stealth-action game not a stealth game. I don't think anyone has ever called Dishonored's story "deep" or "poignant".

Telengard

Arcane
On the highest difficulty combat isn't as easy as you make it sound; one shot from an enemy will kill you (on the highest difficulty in the DLC one hit from an enemy will kill you).
Also, it's a stealth-action game not a stealth game. I don't think anyone has ever called Dishonored's story "deep" or "poignant".
You think I played anything but the highest difficulty? Ah ha ha ha.

That is a a direct result of a little experiment I made on the highest difficulty at the bridge.

Part I) Alert everyone, put your back to the toll booth, no dodging, no powers, no potions, no gun. How many people can you kill just button mashing? Answer: 6.

Part II) Allow sliding around the toll booth and the pistol and a single health potion. No powers. How many people can you kill? Answer: 9. Would be more, but they stopped coming.

Telengard

Arcane
Best thing about the game is how there's so many weapons, gadgets and powers to kill people you feel like you're missing on the game if you try to stealth through.
I eventually came to the conclusion that the game isn't actually about the levels, story, or stealth at all. It's about coming up with fantastic ways of killing everyone. They certainly put a lot of thought into a huge assortment of crazy death types (by combining powers together and/or the environment), plus they made it so easy for you to manipulate the enemies into dying in all those various ways, what with all those manipulation powers.

Nuclear Explosion

You think I played anything but the highest difficulty? Ah ha ha ha.

That is a a direct result of a little experiment I made on the highest difficulty at the bridge.

Part I) Alert everyone, put your back to the toll booth, no dodging, no powers, no potions, no gun. How many people can you kill just button mashing? Answer: 6.

Part II) Allow sliding around the toll booth and the pistol and a single health potion. No powers. How many people can you kill? Answer: 9. Would be more, but they stopped coming.
Where do you mean by the toll booth?

Anyway, playing the game normally there is no way you would be able to kill that many guards just by button mashing. If they they get out of your field of vision then combat gets fairly deadly, as does melee combat against a bunch of guards with guns.

Do you guys actually get offended by lists like these, or are you only pretending to be offended like you're in second year at Juilliard?

stray

Learned
I'm not offended, but it's kind of confusing. They obviously know old games -- so I can't say they're ignorant. Yet they still rate things like Planescape below ME3.

edit: As an overall list though, it's not the worst I've seen. Just ignore the ratings.

Astral Rag

Arcane
5 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

4 Team Fortress 2

3 Bioshock

2 Mass Effect 2

1 Half-Life 2

risitasgif.gif

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom